Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What do you call flat?

For those of you who live in flat country.............Connecticut isn't. It's not the Alps, but it isn't Kansas either.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:54 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " What do you call flat?"

Not that!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what part of CT do you live? I'm just up north in Springfield. If you go a little further north and west of here, it looks like that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An inner tyre with an extra hole in it. Sorry, couldn't resist.

--J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    In what part of CT do you live? I'm just up north in Springfield. If you go a little further north and west of here, it looks like that...
    This is Colchester, midway between Hartford and the coast. A good portion of inland CT is much worse than this. The area that you are describing west of Springfield MA is much worse. My Rides usually stay under 500 feet but the area looks like one of those egg crate foam pads, up...down...up...down. An average day involves about 100ft per mile. You get to go down that much also...

The little slope on the left is what happens every time I leave home...............that means I have to go back up it every time I get home.........

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha View Post
    An inner tyre with an extra hole in it. Sorry, couldn't resist.

--J
    I have been overdue for that.

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ouch, hope you got a granny.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everywhere I ride is flat. Kansas is flat, MN is pretty flat unless it's by the rivers. There are little rolling hills, but not like you guys keep talking about, especially around the lakes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Virginia, which has its flat sections, but it also has more total elevation gain than any other state on the Trans America trail.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about 9' of climbing in a 60mi ride. Hill repeats on overpasses, biggest hill in 75 miles is the landfill.

I know flat
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything with little or no vertical ups and downs. Where I live, in SE Pennsylvania this typically only happens along a river. While there are no mountains, there are rolling hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the eastern shore of MD VA and DE. The only thing resembling hills are bridges

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Anything with little or no vertical ups and downs. Where I live, in SE Pennsylvania this typically only happens along a river. While there are no mountains, there are rolling hills.
    ??? Your area is flat next to the rivers?
    I can't even imagine that. We have huge bluffs next to the Mississippi.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max,

I'm up in MA about 30 miles west of Boston in the Blackstone Valley region. That profile looks pretty typical of some of my rides.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We've always thought of this as sort of flat. That whole 14 mile ride on the profile only has about 300' of elevation. We just get to do it over and over. I would think that forum members in mountain regions of Virginia and in the west would see much more intimidating rides. Stapfam certainly has done much more climbing than I ever will.
    I don't climb well.....thats why I will spend a good part of the summer season on the MTB riding dirt trails that wander through the valleys between these mounds. The old fire road that goes off the backside of my hill is similar to the paved road drop though. Coming back up that trail (250' down and 250' up in 3/4 of a mile) through rocks roots sand and sometimes mud has often defeated me, especially at the end of a longer ride. It does make the railtrails on flatish dirt seem like a superhighway though.
    For me good vacations are taking the bike to Cape Cod where I can find routes that have 50' mountains on them

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    We've always thought of this as sort of flat. That whole 14 mile ride on the profile only has about 300' of elevation.
    Then I'm reading the profile wrong. It says about 1250 feet of elevation gain in 14.5 miles. That's not flat. It's not mountains, but it sure isn't flat. Am I missing something?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That data field is cululative altitude gained, or the sum of all the little climbs. The left axis of the profile shows the actual altitude at any given point on the ride.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I rode the Los Angeles Wheelmen Double Century, I met a chap from Kansas. Even though we were taking the midland or coastal route, as opposed to the much tougher highland route through the Malibu hills, he complained that he had never seen so many *!#$&^ hllls in his life.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    That data field is cululative altitude gained, or the sum of all the little climbs. The left axis of the profile shows the actual altitude at any given point on the ride.
    Exactly. That is how much climbing you do in the ride. 1,000 ft of climbing is 1,000 ft of climbing whether you do it on one 1,000 ft climb or ten 100 ft climbs.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the flattest ride we have leaving our house - 55 miles. We start climbing as we leave our house over a ridge and descend to a valley with the San Andreas fault and Skyline on our right (going south). Total climbing according to Garmin is 6,000 feet but we consider this rolling. If we climb Skyline and descend to the Ocean and return the climbing rises to 7500 but it is significantly more difficult since the climbs are 4 to 5 miles long with average grades of 7%. Climbing 2,000 vertical feet on a 7% grade is much harder than riding 10 cumulative rollers of 2,000 feet with recovery between each one. Another ride, which we seldom do, is along the bay on a MUPs. It is flat but very very windy and it has the usual MUPs obstacles.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your right.....it just doesn't seem like that much climb untill you see the data. I still prefer beachfront rides though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Here is the flattest ride we have leaving our house - 55 miles. We start climbing as we leave our house over a ridge and descend to a valley with the San Andreas fault and Skyline on our right (going south). Total climbing according to Garmin is 6,000 feet but we consider this rolling. If we climb Skyline and descend to the Ocean and return the climbing rises to 7500 but it is significantly more difficult since the climbs are 4 to 5 miles long with average grades of 7%. Climbing 2,000 vertical feet on a 7% grade is much harder than riding 10 cumulative rollers of 2,000 feet with recovery between each one. Another ride, which we seldom do, is along the bay on a MUPs. It is flat but very very windy and it has the usual MUPs obstacles.

Now that's not flat!....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A series of short, steep climbs gets to me more than a long, steady, mild climb. The worst is a long, steady, steep climb. I remember several comments from the pro peloton about the stages of the Tour de Georgia being so tough because of the unrelenting ups and downs followed by the big ups.

My Bikes
    Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's similar to the "flat" areas around here on the plains east of the foothills. We get some rolling hills with as much as a couple hundred feet of elevation gain/loss in a mile. The profile doesn't look too different from my commute in terms of elevation gain/loss. I only go about half that distance, but have a cumulative gain of about 600 ft each way.

Not riding lately due to too much snow/ice.

Ted

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ride that I don't have to stand up a lot on.

My 17.4 mile round trip daily commute has 632 feet of vertical; it's pancake flat.
    My wife and I have a quick 25 mile loop we do with 1552 feet. We don't think of it as hilly, though there is a nice one-mile small hill in the middle.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast