Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Giro 26, Giant FCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashbar & Performance Bike

Are Nashbar & Performance Bike the same company? The reason I ask is when I receive an e-mail from Nashbar with their sales, within 10 minutes I receive an e-mail from Performance. It has to be more than a coincidence because it has been happening for months now. Any comments?
    Giant FCR1 2008

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar and Performance have the same parent company (which also gobbled up Supergo). Sometimes their prices and coupons vary. Some suggest that Nashbar is slightly more downscale, but they do seem to carry a lot of the same--or similar--merchandise.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdrozd View Post
    Are Nashbar & Performance Bike the same company? The reason I ask is when I receive an e-mail from Nashbar with their sales, within 10 minutes I receive an e-mail from Performance. It has to be more than a coincidence because it has been happening for months now. Any comments?
    They are the same but Nashbar is web/phone only.I use the Performance store by me and special orders to the store(not your home)are freight free.
    Wish Nashbar had a store by me,larger selection of older parts.This is strange because they both appear to share the same warehouse in Canfield,Ohio.
    Why two similar stores?Most likely another stupid corporate decision so management would not be down-sized with one banner name.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    Why two similar stores?Most likely another stupid corporate decision so management would not be down-sized with one banner name.
    Same reason a lot of the big check cashing outfits have 2 or 3 different brand names, sometimes with stores close to each other that seem to be competing for customers. So whoever you choose, they win !
    Jamis Satellite 08.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have only been the same company for a short time, maybe 2 years iirc. Bike Nashbar was a large and independent mail order turned online outfit for many years before being absorbed into the Performance fold.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, Falcon Super Route, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Performance bought Nashbar around April 2000. If you read the item descriptions in the Nashbar carefully you may sometimes detect a dry wit and a few inside jokes that are not present in Performance catalogues.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 years, 7 years, something like that.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKahrl View Post
    Performance bought Nashbar around April 2000. If you read the item descriptions in the Nashbar carefully you may sometimes detect a dry wit and a few inside jokes that are not present in Performance catalogues.
    Anyone remember the old Nashbar (maiden name Bike Warehouse, I believe) catalogs that were printed on newsprint? They had a 60s-ish quality that was fun to read.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered once from both companies and now I get bombarded 2-3 times a day with mailings of their clearance sale. I just wish they could clear my name off their list.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same parent company from what I've read.

Peformance has been getting more restrictive (less selection) and more costly during the last year. They have the 10% team performance kickback but Nashbar often has better prices. Performance 2nd day shipping and tracking is better if you are time constrained. I've had expedited shipping from Nashbar take an entire week!
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl View Post
    I ordered once from both companies and now I get bombarded 2-3 times a day with mailings of their clearance sale. I just wish they could clear my name off their list.
    You can, just read the bottom and unsubscribe. Also if you do order something from either and there is a store anywhere in the state, you have to pay taxes and shipping. I start using Spicer cycle or Jenson or Alfred E. Bike.
    George

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in prehistoric times, you would fill out the order page in the middle of the Nashbar catalog, then fold it up just right, tape it together, and mail it in with your check to Arni Nashbar. No envelope. They offered a pedal-powered lawnmower at one time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Anyone remember the old Nashbar (maiden name Bike Warehouse, I believe) catalogs that were printed on newsprint? They had a 60s-ish quality that was fun to read.
    Yeah- I had their catalog from around 1981 or 1982... It was newsprint, and the itms were drawings, not photos. I liked it better than any other. Performance came out soon there after, and they had the glossy color catalog, but I always liked the newsprint (like Campmor is now) type catalog-- their prices were better. Arne Nashbar would actually answer questions personally... At some point in the 90's, before they were gobbled up, their son had a spin-off called "Spike Nashbar", which sold voleyball stuff.

I remember their retail stores--there was on in Northern Virginia, relatively close to home--was only here for about a year, as I recall.

I remember how I found out Nashbar had been bought--I was ordering something from them, and they charged me sales tax. I asked why, and was told because they had a retail outlet in the state I lived in. I was pleasantly surprised, as I expected them to tell me Nashbar had opened another retail store--that they were goihng back to retail. I was very disappointed when the sales clerk told me it was the Performance stores in the area... he also told me Supergo had been bought by Performance.

My biggest disappointment was that we had lost another outlet for bike stuff. Sort of when the mom and pop hardware stores disappear and HomeDepot or Lowes appears... yes they have almost anything you could want, but there is no variety. You get what they offer, and nothing else. You get a good price, but the individuality is gone...the attention is gone...

I have the distinct advantage that the closest bike shop to me is a Performance store. That's great... however, I support two other bike shops because I don't want them to disappear. One of them --PedalShop in AShburn is where I got my fixie. Mike is the area guru on fixies and single speed mountain bikes. He is also a great guy, who takes care of his customers. I don't know how he stays in business, but I do know that he needs me and everyone that goes in there.

train safe-

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Wasn't Bike Warehouse the same company as Bikecology or did Bikecology become Supergo? I believe I am thinking of the Bikecology catalogs of the mid-to-late 70's. In one of those, on a page of seatposts, they had a photo of an attractive young lady in a swimsuit holding a seatpost with the caption "Grease well before inserting."

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix 1.0 (Sampson Kalispell Ti GONE); VooDoo Wanga (Specialized Stumpy: GONE)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Back in prehistoric times, you would fill out the order page in the middle of the Nashbar catalog, then fold it up just right, tape it together, and mail it in with your check to Arni Nashbar. No envelope. They offered a pedal-powered lawnmower at one time.
    Lol...boy that brings back a strange memory. Back when Performance opened their stores, there was actually a conveyor system that they used. Components had a fixed display, you would write down the item number and then put it in a little basket that ran up along the ceiling, then into a back room. The person in the back would retrieve your item then put it another basket and out it would come. The system died out very quickly...thankfully. For all of you who remember shopping at Service Merchandise stores, it was similar to that set-up.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    2 years, 7 years, something like that.
    Time flys when you're having fun
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Retrogrouch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Same parent company from what I've read.

Performance 2nd day shipping and tracking is better if you are time constrained. I've had expedited shipping from Nashbar take an entire week!
    That's interesting; I've always had the opposite experience. Nashbar orders show up in a few days; but, it takes a week or two to get anything from Performance. I've always used regular shipping.

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Wasn't Bike Warehouse the same company as Bikecology or did Bikecology become Supergo? I believe I am thinking of the Bikecology catalogs of the mid-to-late 70's. In one of those, on a page of seatposts, they had a photo of an attractive young lady in a swimsuit holding a seatpost with the caption "Grease well before inserting."
    Bikecology became Supergo. Pretty sure Bike Warehouse wasn't related. Bikecology was older -- it was around in the 70s. There are old Bike Warehouse and Bikecology catalogs here:

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/

I remember when Performance started up. ISTR they had a big booth at the expo at GEAR in Charlotte. Anyone else remember that? I think Georgina Terry was there too.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting catalog scans. Bike Warehouse= Bike Nashbar.

My Bikes
    Surly crosscheck, Rivendell Atlantis, Ciocc Mockba80, Bontrager Privateer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyp View Post
    I remember when Performance started up. ISTR they had a big booth at the expo at GEAR in Charlotte. Anyone else remember that? I think Georgina Terry was there too.
    In 1981 I purchased a nice frame from the Performance mail order catalog that was a re-badged Ciocc Mockba 80 (Italian Columbus SL tubing) for about $220 that included a Campy headset. I still ride that bike that I put together back then, with many of the original parts. It still rides fantastic, and many people I ride with are somewhat stunned that I'm pedaling along on a bike that has so many tens of thousands of miles and years of use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They both use the same webserver and both sites are down now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent them an email and they seem to have woken up. Both sites are back online.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to figure how why someone resurrected a thread that had been dead for 5.5 months, just to say that the web pages were down.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! I just noticed that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New guy just trying to mess with the old folks minds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast