Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,

If you hadn't started this thread I might not have found out about the Soma Sparrow bars. So far they seem just right for this bike. I also like how they look on the bike.

As for position, I suspect as time passes I'll have to flip them.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat bar alternatives

My personal approach on bars has as much to do with the seat on the bike as the bike itsself.
    The origional Northroad design I have on my vintage letour tourist (which has a B66 sprung saddle) are ideal for that bike and for upright riding. (I can ride for hours on the mag trainer with this setup but on a traditonal drop bar setup my shoulders are done in 90 min and with a flat bar,even sooner)
    However; the uprights wouldn't work well with the E3 Gel saddle and the position it requires a rider to take.
    I put an E3 on the GT city bike which had a titec hellraiser on it and found it uncomfortable. With the origional flat bars on the bike the riding position seemed far more comfortable.
    I'm not sure what they're called but I saw one of Performance Bicycles bikes on line(catalog) with an almost triathelete style bar (but with a shorter reach)that I might be interested in.
    Caveat being; I don't want to be changing out shifters and brake levers with every change.

Living 'n Dying in -Time JBHoren's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have written, this is a wonderful thread!

I'm still using the stock flatbars that came with my bike, but just today added a pair of extensions onto their ends -- after only one ride, I can feel the difference in my hands and arms (and "yes", it's a positive difference).

Still, my issue is one of handlebar height, which prompted me to buy-and-install a 3-1/2" steerer-tube extension. However, the handlebar stem angles forward, which (somewhat) defeats the extension.

While perusing the links in the OP's post, I found this at JensonUSA -- interesting, and the price is certainly right. Maybe with a different stem on my bike...

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't decided what I'm going to replace the flat bars on my commuter with, yet. But this thread is just one of the most informative and helpful I've ever enjoyed here. Thanks very much to Tom for starting it and for all of those who have contributed, particularly the photos of the cool things you have done with your own rides. As usual the 50+'s just rock!
    D.
    RYT200
    '86 Scwinn Sierra ATB '07 Jamis Ventura Comp '08 Bianchi Castro Valley '09 Fuji Nevada 3.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mary bar & quest

Hello Tom,

Thanks for this thread. I got on a similar quest in 06 when I resumed mtn biking and sought bars for a more relaxed wrist/elbow/shoulder position. I bought Mary Bars from On One and have been very happy with them. My friends have great fun ribbing me about my girlie bars. I mounted bar ends inboard but as far out as possible on apex of the bend by beveling the edges of the clamp id to accommodate the interference. This creates some great position changes that I'll try to show with pictures later.

Now I have a new quest to help an old boy revisit childhood and perhaps you can help. He is looking for an elusive bar that might best be describe as a North Road with about a 7 - 8 inch rise.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/The...izzer_9_sm.jpg
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/The.../whizzer.html#

Any ideas whether anyone still produces such a bar?

Thank you,

Phil McDonald

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soma Sparrow

Thanks for the link on the soma sparrows!!
    My thought when I saw the bar was: THIS would work on the contemplated fixie I want to build up
    Has anyone else seen the curved moustache style bar on the Scatante Emrald that Performance Bike offers.
    Like that set up as well!
    UPDATE!
    The Bars on the Scatante Emerals are called NOAH'S ARC and available thru Cycles9
    Last edited by Ranger63; 01-05-09 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Subject missing

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
    Hello Tom,

Now I have a new quest to help an old boy revisit childhood and perhaps you can help. He is looking for an elusive bar that might best be describe as a North Road with about a 7 - 8 inch rise.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/The...izzer_9_sm.jpg
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/The.../whizzer.html#

Any ideas whether anyone still produces such a bar?
    Some options:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=108_182

They have 6.5" and 9" riser bars from Wald.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are somewhat similar to the Jensen bars above. These are Dirt Research bars, I got them on ebay for $10. I haven't seen them on ebay for awhile, but they have been on the web from other suppliers for around $10 as well.

I personally like the Nashbar style better, but these DR bars fit my Trek 950 better.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-30-08 at 03:07 PM. Reason: addl pic

Liberty Twp, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom built Ti Litespeed Mtn Bike, Customized Lemond Buenos Aires "01"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger63 View Post
    Thanks for the link on the soma sparrows!!
    My thought when I saw the bar was: THIS would work on the contemplated fixie I want to build up
    Has anyone else seen the curved moustache style bar on the Scatante Emrald that Performance Bike offers.
    Like that set up as well!
    UPDATE!
    The Bars on the Scatante Emerals are called NOAH'S ARC and available thru Cycles9
    I have the Emerald City SS but by the time I bought mine it had a flat curved bar. It's ok but I too wanted a certain look. I bought the ECSS for only $349 at the end of Dec 08 which left me plenty of room to buy the Soma Sparrow, the narrow version. You do lose the top bar but the bike fits me soo perfectly with the Sparrows. I only ride about 10 miles to work and find it very compfortable and of course.... different. I have a standard road bike for trips that are longer though. I do get lots of compliments and I love the feel of the bar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

I found this photo and thought is was relevant to your thread here :

http://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_northroads1.jpg

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North Road bars are also available from Pyramid. Don't know if they are rebranded Wald or a knock-off. Pyramid offers them in steel or alloy versions.

The confusing aspect of this is that it is hard to figure out which model # is which. The pictures aren't always consistent from one store to another.

The other thread on this same subject, although they don't discuss all of bars referenced in this thread, is still active. I posted a link to it in message #2.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran across another intriguing flat bar alternative. There are many mountain bike handlebars out there, with many having 3 to 9 degree rises and sweeps. Far too many to mention, you can peruse them at many of the bike part outlets, such as Jenson USA.

I came across one that is sold as a downhill racer bar, but could easily be used as a more comfortable alternative to a flat bar. The company is Syntace, the product is their Vector Downhill 7075 handlebar. It is available in two widths, 660mm and 700mm (both can be cut down to as short as 580mm), and three sweep angles. They offer it in 6, 12, and 16 degree sweep angles. I like sweep angles of 15-20 degrees, find them quite comfy. Most MTB bars don't offer this much sweep.

This bar has a 33mm rise, but they also offer an almost identical bar with a 13mm rise with either a 12 degree or 16 degree sweep, if one prefers a flatter bar.

I haven't had a chance to try one, but would like to.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=362

The one pictured is the 33mm rise with 12 degree sweep.

Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.
    My Bikes
    A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had these fitted to my Swift folder for a while but they were too wide and made the folded cycle just a bit bulky. They do allow lots of different hand positions and are comfortable. Although I have used "drop" bars for decades, I have never used the bottom part of the 'bar in anger. I am a leisure rider who enjoys the scenery when I ride so prefer a more upright sitting position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some Wald #8095 North Road style handlebar photos. Installed on an 2008 Specialized Sirrus Sport hybrid:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DG123; 02-11-09 at 08:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123