Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now know I am slow

Went for a ride today my 25 mile loop. Anyway about 1/2 way met up with a follow on a comfort bike. You know setting almost stright up, big tires and it was windy he looked to be my age or older. Let me tell you he ran off and left me. I am tellun you it aint the bike it's the motor. I had a great ride what a great day sunny about 55*. Plus I learned something my moter needs a lot of work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get a kick out of the threads over in Road Cycling where people get all hot and bothered about bike brands and related snobbery. I'm sure that the bike expensive dodads make differences around the margins, and on long rides, but my estimate is 90% motor, 10% bike. Is that right?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    but my estimate is 90% motor, 10% bike. Is that right?
    Sounds about right to me....I'm just as slow as ever even with the new bike
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Sounds about right to me....I'm just as slow as ever even with the new bike

Same here - but I sure FEEL faster on the new bike

My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get a kick out of the threads over in Road Cycling where people get all hot and bothered about bike brands and related snobbery. I'm sure that the bike expensive dodads make differences around the margins, and on long rides, but my estimate is 90% motor, 10% bike. Is that right?
    Ive always thought of it as 95%/5%, but thats just a guess, and that is assuming the bike is in good working order. To me the only real need for the ultra-light highest end gear is in racing where differences of fractions of a second mean a win or loss. Anyway if you want to look like a pro, just use what your sponsor gives you instead of pretending.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the true miracles of cycling is to be trying to hang with a pack on an organized century and watching some guy on a mountain bike wearing an ancient helmet, cutoffs and sneakers go blaizing past everyone. I love it.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't bother me when I get passed by a roadie but it is insulting to a roadie or MTB rider to get passed by someone on a folding bicycle.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a ride in September on the Tandem. If you want to see how unfit you are- Try a Tandem uphill with a new riding partner. But the ridiculous thing was- there was one hill that you could even class as offroad and the Tandem was the only bike around us that made the hill. Even shocked my stoker when I yelled out- "We are not walking this hill". First time he had climbed it in 5 attempts.

You normally find that the fast boys that overtake you are only good for 25 to 30 miles. Those of us that are slow are conserving our energy for a 60 mile ride.- Or at least thats what I tell the groups that catch me when I am caught and overtaken 20 miles into a ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds right to me. This guy wae a rider had on a jersey and helmet. He followed me up the bigest hill on the ride. When he passed me at the top he said "that's my favorite hill" and he was gone. I love it. Maybe some day I will ride like that.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntom View Post
    Sounds right to me. This guy wae a rider had on a jersey and helmet. He followed me up the bigest hill on the ride. When he passed me at the top he said "that's my favorite hill" and he was gone. I love it. Maybe some day I will ride like that.
    How long had the other guy been riding- How far had he travelled and it was his favourite hill. Anyone that has a favourite hill- does a lot of hills. + the fact, you had just towed him up the hill. The only bit you remember when hill climbing in a group is who went over the top first. Never who has towed the rest up- or if offroad- who showed you where the slippery bits were or what route not to take.

I used to work this on the rest of my offroad group. Sit in 2nd or 3rd spot and watch their wheels slipping or them finding the ledge they have to put effort in to get over. By following- I was getting the advantage and no matter how slow I was going- I hung on. Then comes the critical bit of the last 50 yards and I was gone.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could tntom be challenging this Tom to a slowness throwdown match?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Could tntom be challenging this Tom to a slowness throwdown match?
    I ride this 25mile loop a lot. Maybe because I am a new rider and am just working my way longer. The best I can do is average 12mph. It is hilley and has some greenway in it. It's hard to make good time on a greenway. If I was on the road all the time I "MIGHT" do a "little" better.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean that you can complete a 25 mile ride in just over 2 hours?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Do you mean that you can complete a 25 mile ride in just over 2 hours?
    Yes. In just under 2 hours if I work hard at it. I am trying to get to 30miles in 2 hours. Today was my first ride in a week outher than riding to work which is just 5miles round trip and I don't ride in the raine so this time of year it is not every day. I am hoping this summer when I can ride more because it stays light later I will improve.

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in those days, I knew some Cat 1's who would dress like a total newb and riding a cruiser, give pacelines a hard time.

knotty

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. In just under 2 hours if I work hard at it.

You would beat me on my best day by at least 20 minutes.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    One of the true miracles of cycling is to be trying to hang with a pack on an organized century and watching some guy on a mountain bike wearing an ancient helmet, cutoffs and sneakers go blaizing past everyone. I love it.
    That reminds me of the time I was running an organized 5k event (before I took up cycling). Two ladies trotted past me, discussing their soap operas (and they looked more folks you'd see parked in front of a TV than running a 5k). I might have spoken to them, but I was breathing too hard to do anything more than grunt.

Bayou Blue, La. but I ain't from around here
    My Bikes
    1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my! What's the hurry?
    Oldfool
    tinkerer, maker
    Aviator, retired - Mariner, retired
    www.oldfool.org
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a flat route- that some of us have to ride- and see how quick you can do that. Bet its faster than your current route at 12mph.

And if you want slow- I have a 10mileroute I take for coffee that has a few slopes in it like yours. Good day and I do it in 40 minutes. Bit of a headwind- Not feeling like pushing and and around an hour is the usual time.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% motor, 10% bike sounds about right. When I got here in August, I took over ownership of the pass down MTB. Cleaned, lubed and started riding. Worked up to about 100 miles a week. Got an odometer for Christmas. Found I was doing 18 MPH. On the road bike at home, I'm just about 16. This place is flat and home is hilly but the elevation here is 5000'. I think I have a good base for when I get home. Yup, it's the motor. But the bike at home looks faster....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always struggled with a four cylinder engine in a vehicle with driver that should be using a six cylinder for the weight involved. I know I can't keep up with those running eight cylinder power plants. Translation: Some of us, by nature or genetics, have less power capacity than others. Moral: Accept what you've got and keep it in the best working order possible.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
    To me the only real need for the ultra-light highest end gear is in racing where differences of fractions of a second mean a win or loss.
    True, but you've left out the enjoyment of life factor and that's why I ride my bike.

If you've got the money anybody can buy a Corvette, even if your name isn't Andretti. Most SUV's never leave the pavement and might not even get into 4 wheel drive. How about your home? Do you really need pictures on the wall? None of these things have to do with need, it's enjoyment of life.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I've always struggled with a four cylinder engine in a vehicle with driver that should be using a six cylinder for the weight involved. I know I can't keep up with those running eight cylinder power plants. Translation: Some of us, by nature or genetics, have less power capacity than others. Moral: Accept what you've got and keep it in the best working order possible.
    Well then, I must be a three cylinder. Or less. This ride yesterday kicked my butt:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ride-to-Jim97172

Only 1500 feet of climbing, but look at the big climb!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. In just under 2 hours if I work hard at it. I am trying to get to 30miles in 2 hours. Today was my first ride in a week outher than riding to work which is just 5miles round trip and I don't ride in the raine so this time of year it is not every day. I am hoping this summer when I can ride more because it stays light later I will improve.
    I've been trying to get 30 miles in 2 hours and I just about kill myself. Good luck and keep trying, like me.
    George

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other day, when we had May weather in January, I rode the MUP to a client's office. As I eased by a guy on a 'bent trike at a whopping 13 or 14 mph, he yelled at me, "Speed demon!"
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast