Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do Brooks saddles have in common w/dog poop?

I learned today that the bags that they distribute in parks to pick up dog waste are the perfect size for covering a Brooks saddle in the rain. At the time, it got me out of a problem. And now I have a new rain bag for my saddle tucked away for next time.

EOM
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 01-12-08 at 04:10 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really thought you were going farther with this thread..

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, that is all.

Many of life's most important lessons are quite simple.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They both have an intimate relationship with butts.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I learned today that the bags that they distribute in parks to pick up dog waste are the perfect size for covering a Brooks saddle in the rain.
    This is old news, BB! Read and memorize every post in every thread in every Bike Forum before going on another ride!!!

From 12/30/07

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...op#post5892140

Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
    I went for a ride with clouds gathering, but since this is SO CAL and it never rains (according to the old song) I went for it. I was at my turnaround point (25 mile ride, 12.5 miles into it,) when it just started pouring. I looked around, and there was a doggy poop bag station on the side of the road! I pulled out a bag, and it fit perfectly over the saddle. When I got home, the saddle was completely dry!!!

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a dog named Bruckner, and I called him Brooks. He pooped.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
    This is old news, BB! Read and memorize every post in every thread in every Bike Forum before going on another ride!!!
    But it was one of your posts, and we've already determined that nobody reads those.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is old news, BB!
    Really, I'm embarrassed. I can't believe that the one original thought I've had is actually not at all original. At least I should be stealing ideas from a more distinguished forum.

(insert appropriate Smiley here).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    But it was one of your posts, and we've already determined that nobody reads those.
    No true! A lot of people read, and are irritated by, my posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Really, I'm embarrassed. I can't believe that the one original thought I've had is actually not at all original. At least I should be stealing ideas from a more distinguished forum.
    I'm not selfish with my genius...steal away!!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with those poop bags is the they are bio-degradable. Bit of moisture and they start to decompose so leather saddle- Rotting plastic and a warm butt make for the best thing that can happen to a Brooks. Get a decent "Plastic" saddle and just wipe it down.

The about Poop bags that gets me- People take all the trouble to pick up the poop- and then leave the bags by the side of the path.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both can be black, brown, or even green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful which bag you sit on.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    The about Poop bags that gets me- People take all the trouble to pick up the poop- and then leave the bags by the side of the path.
    I know the answer to that... It primarily occurs in hot weather. You often wear skimpy clothes with few pockets, and the poop heats up and really, really stinks in that hot bag. If there aren't any garbage bins anywhere near, then you lay it by the trail so you pick it up on your return. This is especially true if the dog poops right in the beginning of the hike, and the only garbage receptacles are at the mouth of the trail. You don't want to carry that stuff for 3-4 hours, even in a back pack.

99% of the time you find your poop on the way back, 1% of the time you miss it or can't remember where you put it, but another dog owner will spot it, know what's going on, and grab it up if they're close to the trail mouth.

The thing to watch out for is that if there's not garbage bin at the mouth, people have to tie the baggies to their cars, because after 4 hours in the heat, your car will become a jar of poop perfume if you bring it in. Usually there's a garbage bin at the main gate of the state park, at the very minimum. But if that's far enough away, a forgetful dog owner might drive all the way home with a baggie of poop tied to the rack of her green subaru, putting everyone behind her at risk in case of bag failure!!!!!!

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I know the answer to that... It primarily occurs in hot weather. You often wear skimpy clothes with few pockets, and the poop heats up and really, really stinks in that hot bag. If there aren't any garbage bins anywhere near, then you lay it by the trail so you pick it up on your return. This is especially true if the dog poops right in the beginning of the hike, and the only garbage receptacles are at the mouth of the trail. You don't want to carry that stuff for 3-4 hours, even in a back pack.

99% of the time you find your poop on the way back, 1% of the time you miss it or can't remember where you put it, but another dog owner will spot it, know what's going on, and grab it up if they're close to the trail mouth.

The thing to watch out for is that if there's not garbage bin at the mouth, people have to tie the baggies to their cars, because after 4 hours in the heat, your car will become a jar of poop perfume if you bring it in. Usually there's a garbage bin at the main gate of the state park, at the very minimum. But if that's far enough away, a forgetful dog owner might drive all the way home with a baggie of poop tied to the rack of her green subaru, putting everyone behind her at risk in case of bag failure!!!!!!
    I put the filled clean up bag on the windshield so I will see it before driving. I have learned that they don't fall off at 40 mph.

I carry a zip lock freezer bag just in case I need to keep the smell down. On a walk I either tie the bag to my belt or the leash handle to keep it out of pockets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    I put the filled clean up bag on the windshield so I will see it before driving. I have learned that they don't fall off at 40 mph.

I carry a zip lock freezer bag just in case I need to keep the smell down. On a walk I either tie the bag to my belt or the leash handle to keep it out of pockets.
    I've done the windshield thing, too! You're right, it doesn't usually fall off before you realize you've left it there. I've pulled over on many a highway to get the poop.

Your dog is an only dog, and smaller than mine. I have, for most of my dog career, had 3 XL to giant dogs. I have to wear a giant fanny pack to put the poop in. What I hate is when I get in the car and forget to stop at a garbage can and then leave the fanny pack in the car. Nothing worse.

Picking up dog poop can be a logistical nightmare. If there's any evidence a dog owner is trying to do the right thing, cut them as much slack as you can!

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Your dog is an only dog, and smaller than mine. I have, for most of my dog career, had 3 XL to giant dogs.

Good point, I didn't think of that.

That's two different threads in a week I have posted in about dog poop.

We all must need to go for a ride!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post

That's two different threads in a week I have posted in about dog poop.

We all must need to go for a ride!!
    After reading all the problems associated with these little poop bags....I'm glad I have a cat
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    After reading all the problems associated with these little poop bags....I'm glad I have a cat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I'm glad my dogs and I live out in the country. They get plenty of exercise running around the property, so I don't need to take them to parks and such. They just go out in the woods to take care of business.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We must be at the age that this posses an interesting subject!

So, is pooch regular?

If not then Fido Fiber is called for.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    We must be at the age that this posses an interesting subject!

So, is pooch regular?

If not then Fido Fiber is called for.

My Fido rides with a Fred. So that's "Fiber For Fred's Fido".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is the Special Fiber for Fred's Fido.

My latest invention is

Butt Mud
    (copyrighted I think).

Eliminate Unsightly Butt Crack from Your Bike Ride
    It is hypoallergenic, grease less and will not stain your Brooks

Direct from the Manufacturer
    Comes with Ergonomic Applicator

Accessory Kits Available: Change skin tone - Add Hair or Freckles.

Price and Delivery Available Upon Request.

Caution: May cause Restless Leg Syndrome, Pimples and other unsightly blemishes. Test for allergies on forehead prior to use.

The poster makes no warranties regarding the above product either suitability for use or availability at your local bike shop.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)