Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My First Real Criterium

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My First Real Criterium

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 01:18 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My First Real Criterium

Last Sunday I raced in the Napa Cherry Pie Criterium. Oy, did I psych myself out on that! Not only did I go to the starting line not warmed up enough, I also had my chain in the small ring, was full of fear. So at the whistle I spun like a rat in a wheel, couldn't get clipped in quickly, and fought an overwhelming urge to bail right then and there. Masochist that I am, I continued to ride, in the vain hope that I'd at least catch up to the pack. Alas, that was not to be.

There were two mentors riding with us, and the one in the back had me grab her wheel so she could help pull me up to the pack. Along the way a few other women were dropped as well, and they joined in; however, 4 of them dropped off as we rode around the course. I worked really hard to relax (ha!) and stay on the mentor's wheel; I admit that I tasted bile a time or two. I hung in there, though, and finished the ride, easily 300 meters behind the pack. When I pulled up my husband, friends and teammates were very supportive, but I was really embarrassed by my performance, and wept a few bitter tears. I had expected much more of myself.

By Tuesday I'd put my race in perspective, and started working on my weaknesses.

Tonight I got the results, and placed 10th of 10. Whoo-hoo! That's better than the DNF I thought I had. Too bad it's so late; I'd have a glass of champagne to celebrate.

Oh, and I'm already signed up for another crit and a road race. I guess there's no end to my midlife racing crisis.
Old 02-17-08, 04:15 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
You had fun (sort of). You learned new things. Your life is better for having done it and you are even going back for more. What's not to like.

Congratulations.
Old 02-17-08, 09:10 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never too late to celebrate so have a champagne breakfast instead. At least you lernt something today- Hopefully you learnt a lot so not a bad days racing from that score.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-17-08, 10:20 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats, Red Rider, on the great effort! Were you able to work with with your team mate during the race? I know it's too early in the season for me to start road racing/crits yet - I am targeting Berkeley Hills Road Race in May for my first road race -- in the mean time, I am having fun with the hill climbs and the upcoming time trials. Hang in there, Red Rider, and above all, have fun and stay healthy.
Old 02-17-08, 10:49 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you for not bailing. That showed some gumption! Makes me think of that old song: Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Ups and downs are all parts of life, and the point is to ride the hills as they come along. You did well hanging in there!
Old 02-18-08, 05:27 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on hanging in there and finishing the race! I'm looking forward to more race reports and I'm sure you learned some valuable lessons from this one. Good luck on the next one.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-18-08, 06:04 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Criteriums take some experience, the first one I did I was in the middle of the pack the first couple of laps, on the back trying to suck wheel by the third lap and then finally off the back. I decided I would finish and was lapped 3 times. Keep trying and it will get better each time.

2013 Noah RS
Old 02-18-08, 08:05 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nothing what so ever to be ashamed of. You made the start, didn't bail and finished. How many other cyclist can even say they were on the line and did a race. Congratulations on a great accomplishment.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-18-08, 08:36 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
There's an old, weird saying
"Can't have a fail without a try." which I think means you did a lot better than almost everyone on this list, an I'll bet a ton better than everyone on your block. I like to do what you did... but I won't.
It's easy to stick with what we know, and what we're good at. It takes real nerve to go where you've never gone before.
You actually finished a race, lived through it, and will do it again. That is 17 different kinds of cool.
Rock on!
Old 02-18-08, 11:45 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks to you all for your encouraging words. I appreciate you guys very much.

VeloD, I have one teammate, and she was toward the back of the pack at the finish, but stayed well in the middle for most of the race. Had I been able to catch up to them, I'm sure we would have worked something out to help each other.

Oh, and I re-read the official results: I was actually 10th of 11. It just keeps getting better!