Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown Elkskin wrap

I finally got the Raleigh spruced up with brown elkskin leather bar wrap. I tried to get a match for the original antique brown Brooks B17N. The red panniers are mounted on a Eclipse rack I got off a Motobecane I flipped. This is SheRA - my single speed / fixie that I use 2 - 4 times a month for commuting when I feel strong and need panniers and/or fenders.

The wrap is from veloorange.com. It's stitched together with a waxed thread - that took quite a while to do. A coat of neatsfoot oil darkens it (though it's dried a bit lighter).

Last edited by robtown; 01-12-08 at 06:11 PM.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking wrap, robtown. Never heard of elkskin wraps until today. It looks like tubing, because it's hard to see the wraparound effect.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep meaning to get some. To be honest, I'd rather sew that on than wrap on tape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really cool!

Paul

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, it looks great. But wait until a bull elk attempts to mate with Robtown. See what he thinks about it then.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Sure, it looks great. But wait until a bull elk attempts to mate with Robtown. See what he thinks about it then.
    Another reason to ride fast
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it hard to put on?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Was it hard to put on?
    It took much longer than advertised; the stitch was simple but tedious. Getting the cut around the brake levers was tricky. I found I like the look better w/o the white Carlton hoods so I'm trying to sell them off on ebay.
    Korval is Ships

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's gorgeous!! How long did it take you to put that on? Hope you get a good price for the hoods.