Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She'll be mine again (Premee returns)

I sold her to a coworker.
    I missed her.
    He listened to a group of OCP
    He ignored her
    She is light
    She is fast
    She is returning

Here is what she looked like when we met:

I put shellaced blue bar tape, a new freewheel, and silver LOOK pedals on her. When she returns I may exchange the suede selle sadle for a B17 standard black. Her wheels had given me problems so I'm selling them off and installing some nice Sun M13II 36 spoke 700c and Continental GP 4000 tires.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well how could some OCP appreciate a classic bike for its obvious panache. It ain't carbon or unobtanium and he couldn't find a matching kit and helmet so his loss is your gain again. Take care of her she's a beauty
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled a hammy by just looking at that bike.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
    Well how could some OCP appreciate a classic bike for its obvious panache. It ain't carbon or unobtanium and he couldn't find a matching kit and helmet so his loss is your gain again. Take care of her she's a beauty
    The coworker was a newbie who was entering a Washington D.C. / Richmond Charity ride. He and I are both 6'2" 210 lbs (approx). His riding partners kept telling him the bike was too large. I suspect they have newer bikes with much lower top tubes and long seat posts - as seems to be the modern style.

I had bought (as a replacement) an 86 Schwinn Prelude in gunmetal shades and fixed her up very nicely. She was only 58cm, however, and just too small. The Prelude weighed in at 22 lbs - and I suspect the Premis does also - quite light for steel.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Premis is a great bike! You're lucky to get it back!!!!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that quill stem--and it's setup: For a man who knows the value of a healthy back.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome colors on that bike.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Awesome colors on that bike.
    You couldn't let it go, could you Gary?

Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-14-08 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On her return
    Will she forgive?
    Some new bits...a nice gesture, but
    Only time is truth.
    Your time, and lots of it.

Perhaps, if luck has been your cell mate
    And the gods have taken pity on your lot,
    You will feel her love again.
    Last edited by Louis; 01-14-08 at 10:47 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've sold a couple that I want back.............they got a lot more love here than there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    I put shellaced blue bar tape, a new freewheel, and silver LOOK pedals on her.
    That's a great looking bike. Two questions. 1. What kind of tubing did Schwinn use on that model? Were they using the Tange? 2. Excuse the ignorance on this one... what does shellac do to bar tape?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    That's a great looking bike. Two questions. 1. What kind of tubing did Schwinn use on that model? Were they using the Tange? 2. Excuse the ignorance on this one... what does shellac do to bar tape?
    Shellac over cloth bar tape is old-style wrap. It darkens the tape and makes it shiny and waterproof. I'll post some new pics once I get her back and cleaned up.
    Several higher end schwinn lightweight road bikes from about 85-87 used Columbus Tenax tubing. I believe the Premis tubes are triple butted.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the coolest bikes of all. That one is awe inspiring.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to ask about shellac over bar tape a couple of weeks ago. Might as well do it here.

My question has to do with the comfort of riding on shellac'ed bar tape. It seems to me that it would only be slightly softer than bare metal, although a bit thicker and a bit easier to warm up under one's hand.

It looks nice and I know it significantly extends the life of the bar tape, but it doesn't strike me as being functional. Kinda in the same league as a carbon fiber saddle. Do people find it comfortable to rest their hands on with the weight of their torso bearing down on them?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I was going to ask about shellac over bar tape a couple of weeks ago. Might as well do it here.

My question has to do with the comfort of riding on shellac'ed bar tape. It seems to me that it would only be slightly softer than bare metal, although a bit thicker and a bit easier to warm up under one's hand.

It looks nice and I know it significantly extends the life of the bar tape, but it doesn't strike me as being functional. Kinda in the same league as a carbon fiber saddle. Do people find it comfortable to rest their hands on with the weight of their torso bearing down on them?
    It's gripper than bare metal. It might be tough on bare hands but I always wear gloves. I understand that too much padding can cause hand numbness like over padded saddles cause sore bums.
    Korval is Ships