I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick Zinn question

Haven't had a chance to check out the book at the LBS (local bookstore) yet. Does it cover old bikes? And, should I get the mountain bike one, or the road bike one, to work on my Peugeot?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your Peugeot a road bike? Maybe you can answer your own question. There is an older mechanic book from Bicycling magazine that would deal with older bikes. For older bikes Sheldon Brown is a great reference. Zinn's books are both good...I have both.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the Zinn mountain bike book shows pictures of some fairly obsolete brakes and such so I'd say it would be an excellent reference for working on older bikes. I don't know how much difference there is between the road and mountain books but, since you're working on a mountain bike, I think that I'd get that one.

When I started messing with bikes I bought "Anybody's Bike Book". I like the Zinn book today in the same way that I liked Anybody's book back then. They both have the same kind of charm.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deeg, you remind me of myself when I was studying Italian. I thought if one study book was good, two might make me twice as good, or at least better. Mama mia, it was difficult enough to master (or even grasp) the verbs or vocabulary in the first one. MY advice: get the MTB edition first and see if you really use it or if it collects dust on your shelf.

BTW, I have a much used and highly grease-smudged 1970s version of Anybody's Bike Book--a classic that shows how far bikes have evolved (or is it devolved?).
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The two books are very similar. I'd start with the MTN bike book but after that you won't need the other for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    BTW, I have a much used and highly grease-smudged 1970s version of Anybody's Bike Book--a classic that shows how far bikes have evolved (or is it devolved?).
    Is that the one by Tom Cuthbertson? I have his "Bike Tripping" from the same era. I read somewhere, a year or two ago, that he had died.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Is that the one by Tom Cuthbertson? (

Yes. To my mind, That and Volkswagen Repair for the Complete Idiot served as the models for all the "Dummies" books that followed through the years.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Yes. To my mind, That and Volkswagen Repair for the Complete Idiot served as the models for all the "Dummies" books that followed through the years.
    I always enjoyed his non-conformist approach to cycling, riding in a kilt for example. He was truly a character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zinn'z books are just fun to read and fillled with all kinds of cycling info. I would go with the one that most suits your riding interests(road or Mt.).

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Zinn's Road Bike manual, in the previous edition, and it does cover old bikes, back thru the '60s or '50s, with the possible of exception of coaster brakes and Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs. For those look for Glenn's.

Zinn DEFINITELY covers older types of rim brakes and friction shifting systems.

Road Fan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess the Peugeot is a "mountain bike" since it came with wide, knobby tires and a flat bar. See, I'm not completely clueless!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I always enjoyed his non-conformist approach to cycling, riding in a kilt for example. He was truly a character.
    Yup. We have a couple of threads going about what emergency supplies one needs to carry with them and who lacks the ability to fix their own flat tires. Cuthbertson's approach was to carry nothing with you on your bike. He felt that, if you had a flat tire, the ride was spoiled anyway so what's the point?

I don't go quite that far (I can fix my own flats thank you) but I try not to carry too much junk with me when I ride. Some of my most memorable experiences have been the kindnesses of strangers after a ride has gone south.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Well, I guess the Peugeot is a "mountain bike" since it came with wide, knobby tires and a flat bar. See, I'm not completely clueless!
    It may be a mountain bike, or it may be a cross, by that criterium. My NB-28 is a cross, even though it has wide knobby tires and a flat bar. And a triple. I used to think triples were a sign of a mountain bike, but now there are fixie mtbs....