Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber is 10 times stronger than Steel

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Carbon Fiber is 10 times stronger than Steel

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by wagathon
It would have created a notice on a Scandium top tube and probably twist the frame a bit too. As practicality goes, steel wins. Let's face it: we would never be having this discussion in a planned economy--the technology and interest in learning to sequester carbon in the making of a plastic bicycle frame is the purest form of capitalist opulence.
You say "capitalist opulence" like it's a bad thing. One of the things about bicycling that I find attractive is that an ordinary guy, if he chooses, can afford to buy and ride the bicycling equivlent of last year's Indianapolis race car.
Old 01-20-08, 11:12 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspiration is a capitalistic opulence.
Old 01-20-08, 12:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wagathon
It would have created a notice on a Scandium top tube and probably twist the frame a bit too. As practicality goes, steel wins. Let's face it: we would never be having this discussion in a planned economy--the technology and interest in learning to sequester carbon in the making of a plastic bicycle frame is the purest form of capitalist opulence.
Don't have any experience with "Scandium" but it appears to be an alloying ingredient for Aluminum which makes it "super strong". Thus, the manufacturers can make the tubes thinner--some might even say "paper thin"--and hence it becomes vulnerable to small impacts from the side.

Is that what you mean? If so, I see what you mean...These types of bikes are just not meant for hard use even if you are careful and not an abuser. It just takes one small slip.

BTW, in planning for my next long distance bike I have set a goal of using a steel frame possibly not custom (like a Salsa Casseroll or Gunnar) and under twenty pounds including Brooks saddle and fenders. This would make it lighter than my plastic bike (which has no fenders even). It turns out that if you chose the components carefully (and spend big bucks on them) this is easily doable. In fact, without fenders and being a bit of a weight weeney (eg no Brooks), 16 pounds is easily possible for a robust bike with the above frames. If I go custom it can be even lighter.

And the lightest frames are Al. So, again, tell me what's the point of CF?
Old 01-20-08, 10:19 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Smokester
Don't have any experience with "Scandium" but it appears to be an alloying ingredient for Aluminum which makes it "super strong". Thus, the manufacturers can make the tubes thinner--some might even say "paper thin"--and hence it becomes vulnerable to small impacts from the side.

Is that what you mean? If so, I see what you mean...These types of bikes are just not meant for hard use even if you are careful and not an abuser. It just takes one small slip.

BTW, in planning for my next long distance bike I have set a goal of using a steel frame possibly not custom (like a Salsa Casseroll or Gunnar) and under twenty pounds including Brooks saddle and fenders. This would make it lighter than my plastic bike (which has no fenders even). It turns out that if you chose the components carefully (and spend big bucks on them) this is easily doable. In fact, without fenders and being a bit of a weight weeney (eg no Brooks), 16 pounds is easily possible for a robust bike with the above frames. If I go custom it can be even lighter.

And the lightest frames are Al. So, again, tell me what's the point of CF?
The point of CF? That's really easy for me to answer: what if you really like and thoroughly enjoy, e.g., a well-made 853 bike, i.e., made with a steel that to me is Reynolds best CroMo so far--and, your first CF bike--made with Trek's lowest grade OCLV--is incredibly superior?

Even so, I can understand how a CF frame might seem as fragile as a glass Xmas ornament when, e.g., it gets dropped and the fall is broken by a CF top tube bouncing off a thin-edged piece of steel.

Old 01-21-08, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
The lightest frames are carbon, Scott has one under 850 grams! https://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ype=roadframes
I think 16 lbs is pretty optimistic for a steel Gunnar, unless you have unlimited funds and can use ultra light parts, in that case why use a Gunnar? My Gunnar is about 21 lbs, but the parts and wheels are chosen for durability, because I tend to destroy things. The frame is about 4 lbs.
A lot of people say steel bikes are bullet proof, or something along those lines. I have broken 3 steel frames and had another suffer severe rusting where sweat migrated under the paint. I also saw a friend bend the top and down tubes in a very low speed crash on an all steel bike, to the point that the front wheel was past the down tube.
I have also corroded the brake cable stops on an aluminum frame, (I sweat a lot).
I guess my point is any frame requires maintenance and can be damaged one way or another. Choose the frame you like for the ride you like and don't overstep the boundries of reason, e.g., a 400 pound rider on a 15 pound bike.