Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calories burnt by sitting around.

Just seen it on TV and a male and a female- neither of whom are overweight greatly but both have sedentary jobs took part in a recorded exercise. They wore a pair of pants with sensors in that were able to be downloaded to a computer. One was a Television presenter and the other a Cab driver. They were delighted in that they managed to burn off around 750 calories in 24 hours by not doing any exercise. Don't know about the rest of you but that is only a couple of hours gentle riding for me.

So all you have to do now is sit around in the daytime and you will lose weight!!!
    Last edited by stapfam; 01-15-08 at 01:07 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all you have to do now is sit around in the daytime and you will lose weight!!!
    That is exactly what I'm doing. Weather is too cold and wet for me, has been and forecast just says more is coming. Just completed a batch of turkey chili which is filling and low in calories. Hopefully the sit around weight loss will continue.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Just seen it on TV and a male and a female- neither of whom are overweight greatly but both have sedentary jobs took part in a recorded exercise. The wore a pair of pants with sensors in that were able to be downloaded to a computer. One was a Television presenter and the other a Cab driver. They were delighted in that they managed to burn off around 750 calories in 24 hours by not doing any exercise. Don't know about the rest of you but that is only a couple of hours gentle riding for me.

As long as you don't sit around and eat.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine how many calories the 50+ forum burns in a day!!!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to tell exactly what the story was about, but everyone has a basal metabolic rate, and an average person will burn around 2000 calories a day just by breathing. One thing I've never had clear is whether, when you read about how many calories are expended in exercising, it's that number over the basal rate, or that number including the basal rate.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see, today I drove to the airport and sat for 90 minutes waiting for my flight. The flight took 2 1/2 hours. I got to my destination early and sat another 2 hours. At my meeting I sat 3 hours.

I hope there's a way to say I burned some calories sitting. What a boring day. My meeting did get over early enough I took a nice long walk. But now here I'm stuck in a strange city, alone and guess I'll go up to my room and sit... tomorrow, the flight home. It starts over...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope there's a way to say I burned some calories sitting. What a boring day. My meeting did get over early enough I took a nice long walk. But now here I'm stuck in a strange city, alone and guess I'll go up to my room and sit... tomorrow, the flight home. It starts over...
    I had to travel this week too. For whatever reason airline travel leaves me tired. I look forward to the Saturday club ride after a week on the road!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I burned 1400 Kj in less than 2 hours on the bike the other day. 750 Cal in 24 hours is nothing to be proud of. Besides, we burn that and more recovering from a good ride. Most of the Western World has no idea of what it takes to burn Cals. There certainly seems to me some great misconceptions.