Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "Mont Ventou".......(long)

I posted this thread in the 'Clyde Forum, but since I'm 51, I thought I'd post it here too.

Not long ago (a year or so), my 24 y/o son and I were on a 64-mile road trip to my mother's house and back. He was fresh out of the Army from the 82nd Airborne at Ft. Bragg, NC (505th P.I.R), and was "11-Bravo" (Infantry) and was in pretty good shape at 6' 1" - 175 lbs, compared to my pillsbury dough boy 5' 10" - 250 lbs. I had open heart surgery 10 years ago, and I'm diabetic. He was "High Speed, Low Drag", as they say in Airborne speak, with 43 jumps (three of them where he "burned-in" and was dragged 400 yards thru dense thickets when surface wind picked up before he could even get out of his harness. He's had numerous "Helicopter Assault Repels" and eventhough he could'nt run all that fast, his friends called him "mule" because he could go on 12-mile road marches carrying an 80 lb ruck sack, plus an additional 40 lbs of "squad machine ***" called a "240-Bravo that is mounted on a tri-pod. Needless to say, "the boy" has paid his dues and I'm a proud papa.

Well, all the way through that ride (with a 14 mph headwind) I tried to hang on to his wheel, and could'nt. He was just too strong on the flats, even in a headwind. Eventually he started to out distance me in the wind, getting a 100 yard lead on me in a span of 8-miles that I had virtually no hope of recovering. I felt bad about this because I had 12,000 miles in these old legs, compared to his few hundred miles in his. I was also older than him by about 26 years too, but I still felt lame. I mean, I thought I was the cyclist in the family, and had to pull him the distance.

I was proud of him though, because he was strong and was having a good time. After his 100-yard lead, we approached one of those long, curving ascents that eventually topped out on a high overpass. This ascent was probably a mile long, big and wide, winding uphill to this tall bridge and I was already gasping for breath just trying to catch up to him. Well, I pretty much knew this was where "the boy" was going to drop me. All I could do was dig in and suffer, trying to hold speed, trying to salvage whatever dignity I had left. It was killing me. The winds were brutal, and I was dogged tired, not even really looking ahead, just sort of looking off the sides without paying much attention. Slowly, and in the wind, I slogged up this long, winding hill feeling deflated, gasping for breath, trying to keep my 12 mph speed, wondering where "the boy" was at when something caught my eye in my slobbering daze.

It was 'him',..."the boy", and I damn near clipped his rear wheel when I passed him. I remembered "the look" he gave me and I dug in deep, staying with it, the euphoria coming over me like a wash. I made it to the top a hundred yards ahead of him and waited. When he finally showed up, his face was twisted in agony, panting for breath, managing a big smile as we both hung our heads over the bars, gasping for breath. "The boy" was gasping, nodding his head, telling me..."You done good, Dad!!.....I'm proud of you!!...That was tough!!"

It was the first time he ever said that to me. I mean, i was always there for him, his mom and i nurturing his young *****, worrying about him all thru jump school and after, but he'd never said he was proud of me.

All I could do was snatch him in a bear hug, damn near pulling him off his bike. The both of us, Father and son, standing there astride our bikes on top of that bridge locked in an embrace, gasping and laughing. Must've been a hell of a sight, I guess.

When we got back home that evening, my wife came out to greet us, asking us... "Well how was your ride, boys??"

All I could say after we rested up some and put the bikes away was..."The boy's fast on the flats, even in a stiff headwind... (we were doing like 16-17 for 32 miles)...............But "the old man" dropped him in the mountains!!"

....so what was your "Mont Ventou???
    ~ "I like the way the brake cables come out of the top of the levers and loop around to the brake calipers!...I like those downtube shifters too!...No no no, don't take 'em off, don't take 'em off,...leave 'em on, leave 'em on! - Thats right baby!!

~BF - Steel Club Member #00051

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always said that there are two types of riders. Those with stamina and those without. I am like you and I ride slower on the flats than most. I gave up trying to stay with them years ago and I just go out and do my ride. First hill on a ride and they are gone. Second and I am not far behind them - but working hard to keep it at that. 3rd hill and the Fast boys drop back to me to keep me company and that is when I have to majke a decision. Do I save their embarrassment and get the return route planned- Or do I take on the 4th hill and leave them for dead.

As we get a bit older- we lose a bit of that speed- but when it comes to the stamina required for those longer rides- or for the hills- Then we have the experience to take advantage of their shortcomings.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume that ride didn't take place in your home state of Florida, where the steepest hills are causeways. That would be one whopper of a fish story.

Seriously, your feat was amazing. You may be the cyclist in the family but your kid has youth and a lean body on his side. You did very well just to catch him, let alone pass.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story-be sure and have a copy for safe keeping.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to hang in there with the kid! Great moment and a great memory

I have the opposite situation. My son, with his light weight and quickness, takes off and leaves me behind on the big climbs. But on the flats and rollers I have a big power advantage and can smoke the little whippersnapper.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story.
    I'm 56, 6'1",220 lbs. My son is 18, 6'2", 155 lbs.
    I'm 25 yrs of road riding, he's a few years of MTBing with some road exposure.
    Road rides of more than 20 miles, relatively flat, I can crush him.
    Turn the road up and he flies, while I dies.
    Offroad, I can't stay close enough to eat his dust.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great story!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can still smoke my 16 year old on the bike, but he blows me away in the pool. I'll take that trade.