User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DG Starts a Trend - Sources for Road Bikes

Alright, DG started me thinking. I have the tools and the bike stand. I have access to a very expensive repair manual. So, what am I waiting for?

All I need is a decent road bike to rebuild / fix to use when I don't want to ride my touring bike. It would also be fun to have a mountain bike with no front suspension. I sold my mountain bike to an old room mate. He isn't riding it either, hmmm maybe I should buy it back.

Well, back to the road bike. DG may agree, but S. California seems to want a premium for used bikes on Craigs List. Any suggestions for my hunt?
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yard sales. Thrift shops. Classified ads in the local paper.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Yard sales. Thrift shops. Classified ads in the local paper.
    Tell everybody you know who rides bikes, what you're looking for. One will come to you.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave a message here for Solveg.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think Craigslist can be a good source, if you are both patient and persistent. For instance, I bought a twenty year old Univega for $25 in great shape and had it converted to a SS. (Unfortunately, I could never get used to it being just a smudge too big.) I also bought a Trek 1500, in excellent condition, that had sold new for $900 fifteen or so years ago, for $125. I think I had to buy tires is all.

The reason I was able to get that bike was because I had popped on Craigslist and the ad had been placed just ten minutes before. I called the guy immediately, and went right over (ten minutes away). In the time it took me to get there, he had four other phone inquiries and two serious buyers.

So I think Craigslist can be a good source, if you search it daily or even more often, and pounce when you see something interesting. I have been looking daily for a repair stand, and it will come up, sooner or later. I saw several in the past few months, when I wasn't interested.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bikes without brifters are usually much less expensive. Learn to spot a quality bike from a good but less prestigious brand for a real bargain.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go...how's free??? Okay, I realize it's a piece of junk...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/540552568.html
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of a suspension-less mountain bike, why not a hybrid? Should be just as rugged and, with the right tires, as capable of light off-road stuff, as a heavier, less nimble mountain bike.
    By all means, look for a road bike, too, if that is your main goal.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done very well with yard sales (Schwinn, Capo #1), but a neighbor gave me the Bianchi.

If you can wait a few months, try the local university campuses in June, when students move out of the dorms and dump possessions, including bicycles, very cheaply.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Guys are the Greatest

The 50 Plus (50+) thread has to be the most comfortable place for me to post at bikeforums.net. Thanks for your input.

I found a bike on Craig's List that is all Shimano 105 and three years old. The bike was driven into a garage I was told. Thinking that there must be something else, I asked if it was on top of a car. Yes!

So, they are asking $300 for the bike with oval-ized head tube - it would cost a lot of money to have that done custom - and busted forks. So, the frame is toast. I asked about the brifters and she told me they were fine. Ok, how would one know for sure considering the front impact to the handlebars.

Checking at the LBS I was told that Shimano upgraded or changed the 105 line last year. If I could get these for a decent price, what price would that be? Great deal $100 Ok Deal $200??? I think $300 is a bit stiff.

I also checked on Scattante (Performance Bikes) frames - aluminum with carbon seat stays and carbon fork. That is a bit more than I want to spend, but they go on sale at Performance all the time. Just have to watch. Any of you guys have any thoughts on other frames - new or used. It might be cheaper to find a good used frame on eBay and add the components.

The Cost / Benefit ratio escapes me on this as I have never tackled anything like this before.

Used Components and New Frame
    Used Components and Used Frame

Used Frame and New Components or a Mix

Probably one of the more expensive and important aspects would be the wheels I would think.
    F Thomas

My Bikes
    85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fthomas you have a pm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to find a complete bike. You can easily spend $50-$100 dollars just replacing things like brake pads, chains, tires, bar tape, etc. You can also, not so easily, find good bikes for $50-$100 that are just unwanted and need nothing. I've done it both ways and the latter is better Be patient, know what you're looking for and be ready to jump on it quickly once you see a good deal.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The search continues!

What do you guys think of this frame?

It is on sale for 324.00 at Performance

Add some components and I have a road bike. This may be far better than paying for a fixer upper, but then I have to remember stem, bars, chain (as someone mentioned earlier), etc. Better count the cost first.
    F Thomas

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like it...........but then I paid $279 less 20% when Supergo was selling it. It seems that Performance was selling it for a lot less just a couple of weeks ago. You might take a look at the Leader Bike Store online.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar has this one for $250 without a fork.

As fun as it is to build a bike, it is very easy to spend more than the bike is worth unless you are careful, lucky and have access to free or cheap parts.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the Nashbar one for as low as $180 within the past 2-3 months.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post