Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   help to get back in shape (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/379658-help-get-back-shape.html)

antokelly 01-16-08 11:41 AM

help to get back in shape

hi folk's,im usually found over at the touring department im looking for a bit of advice on diet of all thing's ,
i came off my bike last week on a stretch of icey road came down quiet heavy ,resulting in a broken collarbone, brused ribs and sore neck , im going to be laid up for the next month or so and i dont want to put a lot of weight on in that time,has anybody got any helpful tips on how to keep the dreaded weight off
remember im going to be doing a lot of nothing,exercise wise if you know what i mean.
anyhow thanks in advance antokelly.

maddmaxx 01-16-08 11:47 AM

Your going to have to be very careful about what you eat. As with back injuries, there will come a time when you may be able to begin an isometric exercise plan that does not involve a lot of movement of the injured areas.

BFD 01-16-08 11:51 AM

Sorry to hear about your crash.
How bout walking, hiking for a while? Mall walking?

Reduce your calorie intake. Count your calories? I lay off butter/marg, gravy, dessert, fried foods. I don't even want soda or calorie drinks - I drink water all day.

Hope this gets you started.

stonecrd 01-16-08 12:29 PM

Yes, try walking as much as you can. I was off the bike for 12 weeks with some broken bones a few years ago and I made sure to walk at about 2-3mi a day. I lived in the CA E. bay so weather was not an issue, but finding the time was the hard part. I went for a walk in the morning, at lunch and after dinner.

BluesDawg 01-16-08 12:38 PM

Less exercise means less carbs burned means cut back on the carb intake.

antokelly 01-16-08 12:52 PM

im kinda house bound this week, to much pain to go walking.the weather here is cold and wet at the moment so hopefully i will get out next week . my big downfall is drinking to much tea and coffee how bad is that im not a great water lover

stapfam 01-16-08 12:54 PM

Gaffer tape across the mouth- except for when taking the light lunch.

It's only your collarbone that's broken- and possibly your pride- so get the rest of the body working. Strap the arm up well and fast walking- I mean fast walking so you get out of breath. Fast walking will work the calf muscles so be prepared for a bit of cramp and take salt or whatever you take to ease it. Neck and exercise it as much as possible by keeping it moving. At least by walking you will have a lot more to look at that you have never seen before. And----This does go against the grain. If both arms were usable- I would say rake the lawn to keep the stomach muscles tight- but with only one arm--It is down to hoovering the lounge. Sorry about that but keep the torso mobile as well.

If you are stuck indoors- Walk up the stairs--Or at least the first two steps then back down again. Put some fast music on and do your own stepping class.

Little Darwin 01-16-08 12:58 PM

You should probably follow the guidelines of most weight loss programs (minus the exercise) which includes the general rules mentioned above...

Lots of vegetables (count on these to bulk up your meals)

Minimize "bad" carbs (sugars and low fiber baked products) and fats.

Drink plenty (water, tea etc). I heard recently that the "water only" method that many follow, although healthy, is not required. As long as you get plenty of fluids (and not calorie laden). Fluids can also help to give you a feeling of a satisfied hunger (at least for a while).

As a last resort, talk to your doctor about appetite suppressants if you think you need something to fight the urge to eat like an active person even though you are not (temporarily). There are a few effective drugs with minimal side effects. I forget what I just started to help kick start my weight loss, but I need to have my BP checked after 30 days because it can sometimes cause a rise.

PaulH 01-16-08 02:00 PM

It may not be that much of a problem. After my skiing fall last winter, I was unable to ride for nearly two months. However, my appetite was down, so I ate less than I would have normally. No weight gain.

Then again, being on crutches may have given me a good workout.

Paul