User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing Like Performing Like Performance

This is not an advertisement for Performance. I also believe we should support our local bike shops. California is blessed with many and I am sure that many of you live in areas that don't have that benefit and must shop via the web or mail order. I have not shopped with many of the other on-line shops, but have had great experience with Rivendell and with Performance.

I did want to relate an experience that I had with Performance this week. What started as a somewhat comical process turned into an exceptional learning experience. I had the opportunity to speak with their Vice President of Operations and have to say that I was extremely impressed with his passion for making our experience at their store and web site to be far above average. Performance performed, not because of rules or policy, but because of individuals personal commitment to excellence.

Thanks Performance! Wish every company had your attitude!

A Happy Performance Customer.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet he's glad to hear that. I know I'm always happy to hear someone praise my performance.

(Now, don't even go there...)

Seriously, though...always refreshing (but why is it so rare?) to hear good customer service stories.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I am having difficulty with their customer service at present, although to be fair it is the first negative experience I've had with them. Point-counterpoint.

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I'll bet he's glad to hear that. I know I'm always happy to hear someone praise my performance.

(Now, don't even go there...)

Seriously, though...always refreshing (but why is it so rare?) to hear good customer service stories.

You know the general rule of thumb: A person having a great customer service experience, on average, tells four people; a person having a horrible customer service experience tells ten people. However, I guess in today's world we have to update this to... a person having.... posts on "X" of discussion groups. I actually think good to great customer service is plentiful, we just take it for granted and/or don't hear about it as much.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess maybe I'm just lucky, but I've not had any bad experiences with the web retailers I've dealt with.
    But there is one that I prefer due to their consistently excellent customer service, and that is Jenson. Never had any problem with shipping (usually here quicker than stated). I did have a situation with a "take off" suspension fork I ordered, and it was handled very well, they went way beyond what I expected.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a Performance Member for a couple years and found their service to be good as well. We did not have a local store at the time so all my purchases were mail order. They did have a retail store in my state so we were charged sales tax even for mail orders. While on the surface their prices seemed very competitive I got tired of seeing the bottom like creep up with sales tax, shipping and handling, etc.

I've continued to do web purchases using other suppliers but with a little more shopping have found better values via the web. I have bought a few things at their new local retail store when I was able to use store coupons that got the prices down to a satisfactory level for me.

And would agree with the OP that a company's employees and their actions make a huge difference in how a company is viewed-at least in my book.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pass a Performance store on my way home from work. It's probably a good thing that I carpool with da wifey or I'd be even broker than I am. Good bunch of guys in that place.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm in the area of a Performance store I'll stop in, but to order something, I'm paying a shipping and sales tax and I don't think that's fare and I told them that. So now I shop online and I use Jenson and Spicer Cycle. I've had good relations with them all though.
    George

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I was a Performance Member for a couple years and found their service to be good as well. We did not have a local store at the time so all my purchases were mail order. They did have a retail store in my state so we were charged sales tax even for mail orders. While on the surface their prices seemed very competitive I got tired of seeing the bottom like creep up with sales tax, shipping and handling, etc.

I've continued to do web purchases using other suppliers but with a little more shopping have found better values via the web. I have bought a few things at their new local retail store when I was able to use store coupons that got the prices down to a satisfactory level for me.

And would agree with the OP that a company's employees and their actions make a huge difference in how a company is viewed-at least in my book.
    This just goes to show that Sales Tax is about the most ridiculuous form of tax. Our sales tax here is currently 9.75%!! I don't buy online or mail order from anyone with an outlet in my state to avoid these taxes, just like you. So our government actually encourages sending money out of the state. They always get people to vote for sales tax increases by saying "its for education!" What a crock.

As to Performance Bikes, I just bought a front derailleur from them that came in without a cable mounting screw. I called to complain and it came in to me Fed Ex overnight. I was impressed.
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If I'm in the area of a Performance store I'll stop in, but to order something, I'm paying a shipping and sales tax and I don't think that's fare and I told them that. So now I shop online and I use Jenson and Spicer Cycle. I've had good relations with them all though.
    When I shop online, I compare the bottom line price. Whether that bottom line includes tax or shipping or whatever doesn't matter. Sometimes Performance or Nashbar has a low enough sale price or a good enough discount that they still have the lowest bottom line. When they do, I buy from them. When they don't, I buy from the place that has a lower bottom line price. I'm not going to pay more just because it doesn't include tax.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought from Performance since they were mail order only by catalog & for the firsttime I will take my business somewhere else. They store says I am not a Team Performance Member because they failed to issue me a new card in the store when I renewed. Customer service says I am a member. The problem is I am not getting my points from my purchases. I found out by accident in December & after numerous promises from customer service I still don't have my points. I am ready to give up. If you are are Team Member you had best keep an eye on account.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    When I shop online, I compare the bottom line price. Whether that bottom line includes tax or shipping or whatever doesn't matter. Sometimes Performance or Nashbar has a low enough sale price or a good enough discount that they still have the lowest bottom line. When they do, I buy from them. When they don't, I buy from the place that has a lower bottom line price. I'm not going to pay more just because it doesn't include tax.
    Top priority is price, without a doubt.
    George

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is a Performace outlet in town, isn't it actually an LBS.

Employees are hired and paid locally.
    Sales tax is collected and used locally.
    Utilities are used and paid for locally (gas, water, electric, sewer and saitation)
    Local riding clubs and cycling events are supported.
    Local charities are supported.
    Local chambers and civic clubs are joined.

Sure, net income to the stores ends up at headquarters. So what? It isn't as though a local owner of a business takes the profit and shares it with everyone in town.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can order via the web and have delivered to the local Performance shop with no freight. Sales tax, well we are stuck.

I am going to introduce you guys to my "Whining to Win" program.

If it isn't right, which Michaelas6's issue isn't, then you need to constructively whine to make it a win-win solution.

If I was Michaelas6, I would go to the store and get the Store Manager on the phone with Customer Service and I believe you will end up with a happy ending.

I got my issue resolved with Performance and have no problem of going to the top of a company with a letter, fax, email and phone call. I recently had a problem with a cell phone and sent a fax to the President of the "Cell Phone Insurance" company and immediately received a response and apology and a Trio 755 in exchange for my old Trio 650.

I won and they won
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not often that I hear a good report about prices in the UK but

http://www.probikekit.com/index.php

Keeps gettin good reports on the roadie forum. Maybe that they like the prices of Michelin PR2's and that is all they buy- but this store does have some good prices.

You will have to change the settings to US and in $'s to get a comparison but worth a look for deals.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip, I left a voice mail in the CEO's, and will go back into the store, It seems I have two problems when I renewed the store failed to give me a new card "for their new computer system" and the corporate office mailed me a new card issued to somebody else, So I guess he is getting my points. I am just glad I caught it, those points can really add up fast. I did find Spadout.com that should save some money.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have done a lot of business with Performance and they are mostly very nice folks. Unfortunately, when I have to deal with their customer service department I feel like I'm causing them a problem. This has unfortunately led to less business on my part.