Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Texas Tour in Febuary

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Texas Tour in Febuary

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas Tour in Febuary

Yesterday I met the Boss from my local lbs and she told me that her and her bike slave (husband) were taking off in Febuary for the month and were going to Houston to do a little touring. So today I dropped into the store with a cinnibun bribe to get the rest of the story.Basicaly the plan is to do a short tour down to the coast for a couple of days,back to Houston and then head east to Missippi and beyond until they have to turn back and fly out of Houston at the end of the month. They have never been to that area and were wondering what sights to see and places not to miss. I said that I would ask the fine people on this forum that very question and get back to them.They're not to antsy about going,both bikes in the store having gotten a complete re-greasing,tune-up and anything else Bob the owner could think of.The Boss just had to show me a picture of her new Arkel panniers in blue to match their bikes(he's stuck with using his from last year in red)she had to order her's and is like a cat on the old hot tin roof waiting for them to appear so she can get them packed for the trip. They are planning to camp and only hit a motel now and then so good campsites would be appreciated . They both meet the reqirements to post on this site(the Boss just barely) so I don't feel that it is to far out of place of me to ask You fine folks this question. (sucking up big time emoticom ) Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-13-08, 08:36 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
If their hearts are set on going east from Houston to Mississippi so be it. Houston to the coast and then to Mississippi will be a flat land tour (and I do mean flat).

But I think biking out of Houston to go anywhere would be time and frustration that could be better spent somewhere else. For a February tour in Texas I'd start in San Antonio and go southwest, west, and northwest. Or even east from San Antonio toward the coast would be good if they would rather not do the Hill Country.

I think there is a reason the Southern Tier goes through San Antonio but not through Houston.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 01-13-08 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-13-08, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
If their hearts are set on going east from Houston to Mississippi so be it. Houston to the coast and then to Mississippi will be a flat land tour (and I do mean flat).

But I think biking out of Houston to go anywhere would be time and frustration that could be better spent somewhere else. For a February tour in Texas I'd start in San Antonio and go southwest, west, and northwest. Or even east from San Antonio toward the coast would be good if they would rather not do the Hill Country.

I think there is a reason the Southern Tier goes through San Antonio but not through Houston.
+1, I ride around Katy a lot and it is bicycle friendly, but if I were going to take a tour, I would try and get in part of the hill country rather than Houston. I think if I had the chance I would go to the Hill Country and head down to the coast and take that east. A good book that covers all that would be "Best Bike Rides, Texas" by Andy White. Maybe we could meet up somewhere, let me know what there plans are. They do have some tour outfits in the Hill Country, but You'll have to look them up to see where and how much they cost.
Old 01-15-08, 12:15 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, LeMond Tourmalet & Cannondale Road Tandem RT 1000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is an organized ride, Tour du Rouge from Houston to New Orleans scheduled for October. They may want to check the website and generally follow the route. It follows a route across Louisiana near the coast that is interesting and not heavily traveled. However, I would not want to overnight in Cameron, LA - lack of accomodations. I would recommend that they go through Lake Charles instead.
Old 01-19-08, 01:08 PM

Bikes: Surly Disc trucker, Surly Troll, Valence Carbon Road, Haro Zeon Dually, GT Dyno Criuser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi this is "the bike slave" . Re --Houston, Airport. We have traveled there previously, and it is a real pain to get in and out of, but this is the only Southern airport that we could fly to on our airmile plan. So be it.
My only concern is which way to for the best weather?? We are self supporting, and like to tent etc. Have done a lot of touring here in Canada, south west USA, Costa Rica and Europe. We dont like to ride in the rain. The cooler temperatures are ok as long as it does not get to much below 40 F. at night. Hills are not to much of a problem. have a front 36 tooth and a 32 on the back. Gear weight including all bags frt and back are 38-40 lbs,on my bike and li'l womans is 32-34 lbs . All local good advice is appreciated, Arriving IAH 2/4/08 at 1730 Staying first night in local Days Inn Just curious, where is "the hill country" ??
Old 01-19-08, 02:58 PM
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally NW of Houston is Hill Country. Basically, the arc of texas that is closest to the coast is really flat and boring... but coastal... if that's what you're looking for

Where abouts on the coast do you plan to travel?

If you are headed straight to the coast from Houston and traveling East... galveston it is. You have 2 ways onto the island.

288 is directly south of Houston, and puts you onto the island at the farthest west end. Basically, you end up taking 332 to "surfside beach". Then you can take Blue Water HWY to San Luis which is the actual bridge onto the island.

The other option is I45... major hwy... and has a bridge with NO bike accessibility. You'd have to hitch a ride somehow. This wouldn't really give you too much of Galveston to look at, but you'd still have Boliver peninsula coast line.

Once on the island, you'll want to ride Sea Wall Blvd... runs along the coast. OR, you could ride past some of the historic areas of Galveston ("the Strand"). Then you'd hook N to 87 while still on the Island. This gets you to the Ferry. Which gets you off the island and onto Boliver Peninsula. Free Ferry, short ride. Once on Boliver, this road runs till you get to High Island around the intersection of 124... which will get you back N to where there are some roads. I don't think there is really any coastline east of that in TX.

I don't realy have any other input though... just thought that little section might help ya out.
Old 01-19-08, 03:07 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The Hill Country of Texas is an area that that (generally) is on the west side of I-35 from south of San Antonio up through the center of the state. If you have a month you have plenty of time to get there and back. You can go north of Houston (hwy 249, I think) and pick up the Southern Tier route and head west, then venture wherever you want to go once you get to San Antonio.

You will need to be a strong cyclist to do a loaded touring bike in the area north and west of S.A. with a 36/32.

February in Texas can be anywhere from 20 degrees at night, to over 80 degrees during the day.

Nightime temperatures will be a little milder in the southern part of the state.
Old 01-19-08, 03:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
If you could fly into San Antonio, that would help you a lot. I think almost anywhere west of I-35 will put you into some nice touring country. If the weather does get bad, there a lot of places around Kerrville too stay.