Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Riding in the Upper Midwest this coming Weekend?

I see that the Madison, WI area predicted high on Saturday is 0 with a low of -7. Warming on Sunday to a high of 7 and low of -1.

Green Bay, where the insanity of TV contracts has the Packers hosting the Giants in a night game (5:30 local start, playing until 8:30 or 9:00), the Sunday prediction is a high of 6 and low of 2. Players and fans won't even get the benefit of getting a little warmth from the sun.

In Northern Wisconsin, the Saturday temps are predicted to a be a high of -1 and low of -13. Same is true for Minneapolis.

I see Michigan will be warmer, with Battle Creek having Saturday temps of 15/7.

Anyone planning to go out for a ride?

Howse about you, Solveg, with all of your cold weather set up on the Scott? Feel like braving sub-zero temps?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid that the Giants will be somewhat shriveled this week.

My Bikes
    Jamis crosscountry single speed with slicks; Schwin Traveller fixed gear conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be up in Eau Claire, WI this weekend, and I'm sure I'll be biking around with some friends there. I don't see them often enough not to. I've got some nice cross country ski gear that works great for biking as well. Definitely be wearing goggles, too.
    Having fingers is pretty sweet. You can do all kinds of things with them.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't plan on riding in the lower midwest either. With the temps in the teens, the winds in the teens and the windchill factor in the minus range.....I plan on being indoors.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingFiphtin View Post
    I'll be up in Eau Claire, WI this weekend, and I'm sure I'll be biking around with some friends there.
    We have a very brave soul here. Eau Claire's weather is supposed to be bitterly cold. Prediction for noon on Saturday is -6 air temp, 8 mph wind, -20 wind chill factor. If you plan to go out early in the morning it's worse, -11 predicted at 9 am.

-11 is as close to freezing point as 75 is. One is 43 degrees colder, the other 43 degrees warmer. So if the temp drops from 75 to 32, you are only halfway to dropping to -11.

Check back in and report your ride!
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-17-08 at 01:44 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    We have a very brave soul here. Eau Claire's weather is supposed to be bitterly cold. Prediction for noon on Saturday is -6 air temp, 8 mph wind, -20 wind chill factor. If you plan to go out early in the morning it's worse, -11 predicted at 9 am.

-11 is as close to freezing point as 75 is. One is 43 degrees colder, the other 43 degrees warmer. So if the temp drops from 75 to 32, you are only halfway to dropping to -11.

Check back in and report your ride!
    Here in the Upper Middle Midwest of Central Southeast Michigan we're expecting snow and 15 or so, but if I don't get some pedaling time in I'll die next Saturday at teh Ann Arbor Worst Day of the Year 40! I also have to test out some winter kit options.

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    We don't plan on riding in the lower midwest either. With the temps in the teens, the winds in the teens and the windchill factor in the minus range.....I plan on being indoors.
    Brrr sounds like my childhood recollections of Chicago!! How did Dayton become Chicago??

Road Fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be riding.

(on the trainer)

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingFiphtin View Post
    I'll be up in Eau Claire, WI this weekend, and I'm sure I'll be biking around with some friends there. I don't see them often enough not to. I've got some nice cross country ski gear that works great for biking as well. Definitely be wearing goggles, too.
    Best wishes on a fine ride which ends with at least the more important body parts still unfrozen. Perhaps you and the friends could arrange a pure tailwind route?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck yeah, I'm going out! Just to be able to say I did. Plus, it will make other winter riding feel Oh-so-good! If you think about it, there's a 40 degree real-feel between this weekend and last weekend. I think I'm going to go check out the National Pond Hockey tournament.

Real-Feel™ on Saturday will be 25 below!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That -25 Real Feel wind chill doesn't take your bike movement into account. If you are riding at 15 mph into the headwind, the Real Feel temp will be somewhere around -40 to -45 (that is, if you are riding when it is -25).

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a little chilly here, too. I went down to the harbor and snapped a pic. I ride past this scenery many a weekend, but during the daytime.

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the "Real Feel" thing you all speak of so reverently?

Is it in any way like reaching second base?

Or more serious, like reaching third?

Does it involve Cal Ripkin?
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-18-08 at 02:46 AM.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
    What is the "Real Feel" thing you all speak of so reverently?

Is it in any way like reaching second base?

Or more serious, like reaching third?

Does it involve Cal Ripkin?
    Real Feel is Accuweather's version of windchill. I'm on a mac, so it's my widget. I don't understand why they changed the actual windchill factor. If this weekend occurred 5 years ago, it would probably be a 35 below windchill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    It was a little chilly here, too. I went down to the harbor and snapped a pic. I ride past this scenery many a weekend, but during the daytime.
    Very nice. Really, nice photo.

But seriously, where is the snow?
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. He put that in to make us feel jealous, but all we do is feel bad for him that he doesn't have any snow....

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that St Louis qualifies as upper midwest. (Actually, southeast Missouri might be considered part of the south.) Anyway, we have 7 degrees predicted for tomorrow. That's not nearly enough farenheidts to suit me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I don't think that St Louis qualifies as upper midwest. (Actually, southeast Missouri might be considered part of the south.) Anyway, we have 7 degrees predicted for tomorrow. That's not nearly enough farenheidts to suit me.
    I would say St. Louis is the Central Lower Upper Midwest, at least in the winter.

I've had a few St. Louis winters - that 7 degrees can be worse that Chicago's 7 degrees!

Road Fan

My Bikes
    88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, just to have the brag rights...at least to the library and coffee shop. Sub zero isn't bad but I just hate the wind!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had the Midwest discussion before. There are two generally accepted definitions for that constitutes the "Midwest." The traditional definition does not include Missouri, or the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky or West Virginia. The U.S. Census includes all but Kentucky & WV in their regional summary data for the Midwest. A few references also include Kentucky & WV into an expanded "super" Midwest.

If one is not including KT & WV, then southern Missouri is barely within the Midwest and would indeed be the southernmost portion of the region.

Traditionally the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma were considered to the Great Plains states. But the U.S. Census has no such group defined. Missouri was sometimes included in Great Plains region and sometimes included in the South.

The gist of it is that no region wants to claim Missouri and it should pretty much just be left alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-18-08 at 06:29 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I know. He put that in to make us feel jealous, but all we do is feel bad for him that he doesn't have any snow....
    I don't feel bad for him for having no snow!!!!! I am jealous

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    We've had the Midwest discussion before. There are two generally accepted definitions for that constitutes the "Midwest." The traditional definition does not include Missouri, or the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky or West Virginia. The U.S. Census includes all but Kentucky & WV in their regional summary data for the Midwest. A few references also include Kentucky & WV into an expanded "super" Midwest.

If one is not including KT & WV, then southern Missouri is barely within the Midwest and would indeed be the southernmost portion of the region.

Traditionally the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma were considered to the Great Plains states. But the U.S. Census has no such group defined. Missouri was sometimes included in Great Plains region and sometimes included in the South.

The gist of it is that no region wants to claim Missouri and it should pretty much just be left alone.

To be honest, I don't think of Minnesota or Wisconsin as being midwest. We're the "great north".

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    To be honest, I don't think of Minnesota or Wisconsin as being midwest. We're the "great north".
    Nope. You're "the great white north".

Q. What do people in Minnesota do during the summer.
    A. If it comes on a weekend they usually go swimming.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is really* cute! I've never heard that!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was said by someone who has never walked out into Lake Superior in July. I don't know how anyone ever swims there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast