Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2008 Pan Mass Challenge

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2008 Pan Mass Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Pan Mass Challenge

I will again be riding in the Pan Mass Challenge this year. I will be doing the 192 mile route from Sturbridge Ma to Provincetown Ma. They raised our minimum fundraising to $4,000 this year, so it will be a challenging year, to say the least. Last year, we donated a check for $33 million to the Jimmy Fund/Dana Farber Cancer institute. 100% of all rider-generated donations went directly to the fight against cancer!

We always wear the PMC jersey the first day, and I'm thinking of wearing my "Fifty Plus" jersey the second day. Might be interesting to see if I run into any others from the forum.

This year I am selling wine bottle stoppers in support of my fundraising efforts. If you'd like to check it out, go to:

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=380053

Thanks.

George a/k/a Grumpy
Old 01-19-08, 01:56 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great ride for a great cause. I applaud you. I'd like to do it, but I'm not particularly good at asking people for money and I have to admit finding 4K would be an intimidating challenge. Good luck!
Old 01-19-08, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the fundraising is hard. But they give us from now till October to do it. I'm doing the wine bottle stoppers, hand-made pens, I'm even making a beer tap handle for a guy. I'll run a tag sale or two, thinking about running a spaghetti supper, and a few other things. And I will beg and grovel when necessary. I don't like asking people for money either, but considering the cause and the effects it has on so many people, I can deal with some discomfort....
Old 01-19-08, 05:22 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the idea of your give-aways. Makes it seem like less of a beg-a-thon. You've got me thinking....
Old 01-20-08, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to be a little different. That, and being a wino...er....wine connoisseur...the bottle stoppers appealed to me, and they're fun to make.
Old 04-07-08, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
See you there!

What are stoppers for?
Old 04-07-08, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
See you there!

What are stoppers for?
Won't be there but wine stoppers are pointless. If the wine is good enough- the cork is not going back in the bottle- and if it is not good enough- it goes down the sink.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-07-08, 06:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Won't be there but wine stoppers are pointless. If the wine is good enough- the cork is not going back in the bottle- and if it is not good enough- it goes down the sink.
Aw c'mon...
My wife and I drink a half-bottle of wine and save the rest for the next day!! And I know we're not the only ones to do that!

Besides...the stoppers are just a "thanks" for making a donation!

All the money goes to charity, and you get something for your donation.
Old 04-07-08, 08:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have all been touched by cancer in our life times. Be it a friend, a relative, an immediate family member, no one is left untouched by this disease. I have lost friends and relative over the years and, at this time, have two friends in chemo ... one at Dana Farber. BUT the battle is being won! The cures are being found. New treatments are not only extending lives but quality of life for patients. Dana Farber is one organization that is a great contributor to this end. The Pan Mass Challenge acts as a fund raising event that provides the money for this research. Few national rides can say 100% of moneys collected go directly to research and patient care.
So ... the wine bottle stopper or it's usage is not an issue. It's the gift that you give the patients and their families that s rewarding. It also may be the gift that funds the programs that saves a friend or family member.
Ride on geofitz ... I will send along a donation to the website. Remember as you ride that as hard as the cycling may be it will end with a hot shower, a meal and a good nights rest ... chemo unfortunately does not.
Old 04-08-08, 05:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandemedge
We have all been touched by cancer in our life times. Be it a friend, a relative, an immediate family member, no one is left untouched by this disease. I have lost friends and relative over the years and, at this time, have two friends in chemo ... one at Dana Farber. BUT the battle is being won! The cures are being found. New treatments are not only extending lives but quality of life for patients. Dana Farber is one organization that is a great contributor to this end. The Pan Mass Challenge acts as a fund raising event that provides the money for this research. Few national rides can say 100% of moneys collected go directly to research and patient care.
So ... the wine bottle stopper or it's usage is not an issue. It's the gift that you give the patients and their families that s rewarding. It also may be the gift that funds the programs that saves a friend or family member.
Ride on geofitz ... I will send along a donation to the website. Remember as you ride that as hard as the cycling may be it will end with a hot shower, a meal and a good nights rest ... chemo unfortunately does not.
Thanks for the sentiments.
There is one thing that I have learned since getting involved with the PMC in 2006. That is, we all need to get involved. Whether it is the PMC, the MS Tour de Cure, your local library, whatever. I've learned that there is a great deal to be gained by giving something back. So whether it's to my PMC fundraising, Tom Stormcrowe's Tour de Cure, or someone your know who is trying to do something, try to help. Even better, these types of events are always looking for volunteers. It's a great way to get involved, and all it costs is a bit of time.
Old 04-08-08, 08:29 AM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
See you there!
I'm riding again as well. I wonder how many BF'ers are involved?

This year will be interesting for me. One of my dear friends & supporters is a cancer survivor. Her oldest daughter is getting married on the first day of the PMC (the wedding will be on the Cape). So.... my current plan is to ride Sturbridge to Bourne, hop in my car, go to the wedding, drive back to Bourne for the early morning start, and finish the ride to P'town on Sunday. Just saying that makes me feel like I should be riding more now to get in better shape.

See you there!

https://www.pmc.org/mypmc/profiles.asp?eGiftID=JV0064
Old 04-08-08, 01:29 PM

+1 I really hope your wine stoppers work. It seems like a great idea and they do look great.
This is my 8th year, 5 for my son. Two brothers (kidney and bladder) and sister and sister in law (breast) are survivors. Our Mom and Grandmother died.

Sheldon Brown had concerns about associating the physical stress and discomfort of long fundraiser rides with bicycling. I share the concern but more and more rides like PMC are effective fundraisers for the worthy causes and less associated with the "heroic" efforts of the riders. PMC combines the somber needs of fighting cancer with festive mardi gras celebration of the good. Us riders have the easy part, getting attention, exercise. The volunteers and donors really deserve the kudos.
Old 04-08-08, 06:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sherbornpeddler;6483113..... Us riders have the easy part, getting attention, exercise. The volunteers and donors really deserve the kudos.[/QUOTE]

+1!! You've got that right...everybody works all year for this, and we riders are the ones who get to do the fun part at the end. It wouldn't be the same without the volunteers, they add something to the event way beyond the value of thier work.

Here's a thought...would any BF'ers doing the PMC be interested in a quick meet on Friday before the opening ceremonies in Sturbridge?? It would be fun to put some faces to the names....
Old 04-08-08, 08:11 PM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geofitz13
Here's a thought...would any BF'ers doing the PMC be interested in a quick meet on Friday before the opening ceremonies in Sturbridge?? It would be fun to put some faces to the names....
Not sure when I'll get there (currently planning to stay with friends about 30 min away) but sure... I'll be there. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Baftap; 04-08-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 06:06 AM

Let's check in a few days before. I planned to show up EARLY Saturday and not be there Friday night Lodging in the nearby college is apt to allow about as much sleep as the Dorm Barge in Bourne :-(