Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How many miles can you ride in an hour on a flat surface?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 12 miles

4 3.33%
  • 12 to 13.9 miles

11 9.17%
  • 14 to 15.9 miles

21 17.50%
  • 16 to 17.9 miles

19 15.83%
  • 18 to 19.9 miles

24 20.00%
  • 20 to 21.9 miles

21 17.50%
  • 22 to 23.9 miles

10 8.33%
  • More than 23 miles

10 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many miles can you ride in an hour?

Given you have access to a ruler flat, smooth paved surface trail/track, with the temperature being your favorite temp, with no wind, and on your fastest bike, how many miles do you believe (or know) you could ride in one hour?

Addendum: Please consider the last option to be "24 or more miles"
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-19-08 at 03:25 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOPS!

Last option should read "More than 24 miles"

Darn, I just created a stupid poll.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

King of the Hipsters
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How interesting.

No one else has responded except me.

I ride a fixed gear bike.

I formerly geared to average 19mph around town, but I geared down to 15mph for temporary health reasons, and found I liked it better as an all around gear.

Formerly, when I rode geared bikes, it seems to me I averaged somewhere around 21mph, but I didn't have as much fun as I have now on a fixed gear bike.

If I wanted to set a personal record on a geared bike, riding on flat ground with no wind, as a guess, I doubt if I could beat 24mph for an hour.

I hope I could even do that.

I ride a lot.

I don't drive a car any longer, unless my wife makes me get in her car.

I would describe myself as in excellent shape....for a 61 year-old.

Twenty-four miles per hour doesn't sound very fast, but, I don't think I'll ever do better than that in this life.

I would like to think that a real skinny 75 year-old out there rides 200 miles per week and could go much faster than that.

If so, that would give me a goal, and I might even start riding geared bikes again.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, though I can do 20 mph without too much problem, I don't very often at all. I have taken to cruising - I really enjoy it. After all, I am not really in a hurry to go anywhere so why work at getting there faster.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Given you have access to a ruler flat, smooth paved surface trail/track, with the temperature being your favorite temp, with no wind, and on your fastest bike, how many miles do you believe (or know) you could ride in one hour?

Addendum: Please consider the last option to be "24 or more miles"
    Tom, given the parameters of a flat, smooth, paved surface, no wind, etc, I know I can do 14 to 15.9 in an hour, maybe more but are you concerned with how many hours you might maintain that speed?
    timtruro

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you please tell me where to find such a road? I would be most interested!

I put down 21 to 21.9 miles, but that's a guess. Really pushing it, under ideal conditions, I might be able to squeeze out a bit more...

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of socks are we wearing on this ride? Is the sun in our eyes? How long has it been since we've eaten?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    Tom, given the parameters of a flat, smooth, paved surface, no wind, etc, I know I can do 14 to 15.9 in an hour, maybe more but are you concerned with how many hours you might maintain that speed?
    timtruro
    For the purpose of this poll, it is all about how far you can make it in one hour. Not what speed you can maintain for 20 minutes, or 40 minutes, or 3 hours. Perhaps you can do 20 mph for 30 minutes, and then can only do 16 mph over the next 30, making a total of 18 miles.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    What kind of socks are we wearing on this ride? Is the sun in our eyes? How long has it been since we've eaten?
    If you like the sun in your eyes, then so be it.

As to when you've last eaten, it's your choice.

Let's say that you are going to be paid $100 for each mile you can complete in the hour.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never really tried for an hours ride at speed as for me it would take a bit of sorting to get the route right. Even if I did take the flat route- it is a across a marsh with plenty of 90deg bends where you have to brake and then reaccelerate- cuts average speed tremendously. But a few years ago did a boring 25 mile sposored ride that was a 12.5 out and then back. 25 miles done in less than an hour but it was cheating- Almost perfectly flat and it was on the Tandem. Tail wind out and headwind back so that cancelled everything out. It was the ride out of 24 miles and the ride back that got us.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    From what I've seen there are MANY roads that are straight and flat for 25+ miles in Kansas, Nebraska, Florida, parts of Texas, and I'm sure other places. Now, as to the wind, there must be days on those roads where the wind is very light.

Or we could try it on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have officially rode a ride of 27 miles at an average speed of 24.4mph, I don't recall but think the time was 1hour and 6minutes?? BTW, it was neither flat nor smooth nor windless, the route was for the most part a very large square. And no I didn't do it 10 years age it was just last july.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put down 21 to 21.9 miles, but that's a guess. Really pushing it, under ideal conditions, I might be able to squeeze out a bit more...
    +1.

I honestly don't know the answer to the poll question. A flat ride around here is anything less than 100 feet of climbing per mile.

I visited Florida a while back and was looking forward to the flat roads. The wind there were as bad as the hills here and I wound up with an average speed of 17 or so.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=solveg;6012827]What kind of socks are we wearing on this ride?/QUOTE]

I do ride faster in my skull-and-crossbone pirate socks.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure,that's never happened before.I average around 10-12,and go 4 MPH uphill and 40MPH+ downhill!
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can do that here (a 10 mile out and back) in the summer before 9 a.m. Trouble is, for you, it's at 7200 ft elevation.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't vote until I know whether there's pie involved. And what kind.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted in the next-to-the-last category, because that's what I've done, and I expect to do again, in the right conditions. It's not my preferred speed over a long ride, although I'd like to think that there's hope for improvement.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in my early 40s did a century in 4:45. The next day rode back to the start in 4:50. Not totally flat, but some nice rollers.
    Ah, to be that young again!

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting hypothetical.....We actually have such a road here in DC. Haines Point has a dead flat road that is 3.2 miles around with a nice smooth surface and very little traffic. On a perfect day (we have a couple each year) I have been able to do 19.2 miles (6 laps) in an hour of riding. I can turn a single lap faster than that, but can't keep it up for multiple laps. The real riders who come out to train on this road can lap me 3 or 4 times in that same hour--keeps one real when that happens. This is by myself, by the way. With a group in those conditions, I could probably do 3-4 miles farther --assuming I did not have to pull the line.....
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmph.

I once saw a poll in which most adult males believe they could hit a major league fastball, at least on occasion.

At the Lousville Slugger Museum, they have a demonstraton where you stand near a batters box and see what it looks like to have a 90 mph fastball come at you. You had 0.2 seconds to make up your mind about the pitch. I couldn't even see them.

So crap, I believe everything I read on this thread.

I put 15 mph and I think that would be optimistic. I suppose I might sustain 17 mph if I were doing a TT. But I truly doubt it. And what's weird is that I don't think doing it on the flat would be much different from doing a hilly loop in which the net elevation was 0. I think the 5-7 mph I pull going up reasonably steep grades would be offset by going 30+ mph downhill, to say nothing about getting to rest your legs just a bit.

But that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the result of several runs of the same 20 mile route which I have done at an average of about 17 mph as measured on my GPS.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I can't vote until I know whether there's pie involved. And what kind.
    This is a fantasy ride, therefore you are allowed to fantasize any kind of pie that you like!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG will get his pie here:

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard something about the Indy Race Track being opened for a Century ride soon. Could some local weight in here?
    This space open

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast