Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-08, 09:10 PM   #1
Sevenrider
Bike & SCUBA

Bikes: 2007 Seven Axiom 007 Tandem with couplers, 1994 Litespeed Catalyst, 1992 Cannondale Road Tandem, 1990 Cannondale Road Tandem, 1984 Gitane Tour de France
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do when it is -15 in Minnesota?

You head to SoCal for some bike riding. I am visiting my daughter who lives in Vista. This morning I stopped by Nytro in Encinitas and rented a bike to ride for a couple of days. It is a nice shop and they did a good job of fitting the bike for me. It is a Cervelo Soloist, not as nice as the bike Hermes tested, but is still a nice riding bike. Went south from Encinitas and rode up Torrey Pines. I've always wanted to climb it and now I can say that I have. It wasn't too bad even though I haven't ridden outside in two months, just spinning at my club. Rode for an hour and a half along side the ocean, a lot different scenery than I used to riding in.

Plan to do a ride on Sunday with my daughter on our California tandem and then ride singles again with her boy friend on Monday. I'm hoping that the temps have warmed up by the time I get back to Minnesota next Saturday.
Sevenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 09:18 PM   #2
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham
The temps will be considerably warmer in the Twin Cities tomorrow...+2 for a high! When it is -15 we make fun of Tom Bombadil, he makes fun of the Viqueens and it really doesn't matter because the Upper Midwest will be a collapsed civilization and the only survivors will be you and Tom who is running to Florida to visit his Mom so he says,,,,but I know he read the book.
Refer to this thread..;
KLW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 09:32 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Q: What do you call a Viking with a Super Bowl ring?

A: A Thief
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 09:39 PM   #4
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
On two of my last three trips to Florida in Jan & Feb, they had record lows. If the Florida officials knew I was coming, they would block me at the airport.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-19-08, 09:47 PM   #5
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenrider View Post
You head to SoCal for some bike riding. I am visiting my daughter who lives in Vista. This morning I stopped by Nytro in Encinitas and rented a bike to ride for a couple of days. It is a nice shop and they did a good job of fitting the bike for me. It is a Cervelo Soloist, not as nice as the bike Hermes tested, but is still a nice riding bike. Went south from Encinitas and rode up Torrey Pines. I've always wanted to climb it and now I can say that I have. It wasn't too bad even though I haven't ridden outside in two months, just spinning at my club. Rode for an hour and a half along side the ocean, a lot different scenery than I used to riding in.

Plan to do a ride on Sunday with my daughter on our California tandem and then ride singles again with her boy friend on Monday. I'm hoping that the temps have warmed up by the time I get back to Minnesota next Saturday.
Another Minnesotan??? Where have you guys been as I've been complaining about only Tom living remotely near me?

This is the time of year when people go down south...remember when people used to bring big bags of oranges back on the plane? I admit that if I had an empty schedule right now, I might just get in the car and drive south for a few days.
Old 01-19-08, 09:58 PM   #6
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Ack!

I just checked the 15-day forecast from Accuweather and it is predicting well below average temps for my entire stay in St Augustine. Close to record lows.

I can't believe this is going to happen for the 3rd time in my last 4 trips. It also happened twice in the 1980s, when we were down there in March and they had freezes.

It will be above average for the 4 days right before I get there, then it may get 20 degrees colder.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-19-08 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-19-08, 10:12 PM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
" What do you do when it is -15 in Minnesota?"

I think about how glad I am to live in Georgia.

But it wasn't all that nice here today either. Here are some pictures I took at the Ronnie Thomson Memorial race in Macon, just behind the place they make Thomson seat posts and stems.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 10:30 PM   #8
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

The Dawg beat me to it; however, I rejoice that I live no further north than Northwest Arkansas and that, if worse comes to worse, I can escape to Louisiana. Northwest AR was nothing to crow about today. Max temp was only 27.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 03:32 AM   #9
HPS

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Schwinn Super Le Tour (converted to Single Speed), Moab, and High Plains
Although I don't like the really cold temps, anything above zero isn't too bad. No insects or pollen for five months are two things in the "not so bad" category.
HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 03:46 AM   #10
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Could I suggest a new avitar for Tom.

I notice that Delta Airlines is running a 4 hr delay through Atlanta for De-icing.

There are places in the south that are seing snow for the first time since 2001.

And finally.......Tom, have a plate of Jambalya at Harry's in St Augustine for me. That will warm you up.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:54 AM.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 05:28 AM   #11
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Ack!

I just checked the 15-day forecast from Accuweather and it is predicting well below average temps for my entire stay in St Augustine. Close to record lows.

I can't believe this is going to happen for the 3rd time in my last 4 trips. It also happened twice in the 1980s, when we were down there in March and they had freezes.

It will be above average for the 4 days right before I get there, then it may get 20 degrees colder.
Please don't come to New York!!!!!
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 06:03 AM   #12
wink

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down
Quote:
Ack!

Sorry about that.It is cool here in New Smyrna Beach also South of Daytona Beach about 20 miles.But there is plenty of tourist traps for you to spend your money in up there Before I moved here I would come down in October and the weather would do the same as with you.

Wink
wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 06:39 AM   #13
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
On two of my last three trips to Florida in Jan & Feb, they had record lows. If the Florida officials knew I was coming, they would block me at the airport.
Hey Tom. I have two separate cycling trips to Wisconsin planned for this summer. What would it take to get you to go somewhere out-of-state during those weeks?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:12 AM   #14
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Could I suggest a new avitar for Tom.

I notice that Delta Airlines is running a 4 hr delay through Atlanta for De-icing.

There are places in the south that are seing snow for the first time since 2001.

And finally.......Tom, have a plate of Jambalya at Harry's in St Augustine for me. That will warm you up.
I LIKE that Avatar....

I just wish I could be in St. Augustine to watch Tom ride his bike on cobblestone!
Old 01-20-08, 07:27 AM   #15
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

But it wasn't all that nice here today either. Here are some pictures I took at the Ronnie Thomson Memorial race in Macon, just behind the place they make Thomson seat posts and stems.
Cold, wet, mud and a lot of stuck trucks......sounds like fun

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:03 AM   #16
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Quote:
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
I LIKE that Avatar....
I see it is used by Agilis over in road cycling too.

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 01-20-08 at 08:31 AM.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:24 AM   #17
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite
Quote:
Q: What do you call a Viking with a Super Bowl ring?

A: A Thief
geofitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:10 AM   #18
solveg
Squirrel

Tom, when are you leaving? We're having a major warm up on Friday which should last about a week! It's going to be above freezing! That's a 40 degree warm-up!
Old 01-20-08, 09:39 AM   #19
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham
So does this mean we all get together and shuttle Tom around the US and Canada to places other than where we want good weather? Kind of like pay your dues, take Tom for a week and then someone else does. We could put up a calendar and sign up for weeks.....
KLW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:45 AM   #20
solveg
Squirrel

I think a permanent move might be in order...someplace where it's cold year round and 40 degrees colder is neither here nor there. I'm sure there are lots of statistics being manipulated at the North Pole right now, what with the melting polar ice cap. We might be able to forestall global warming if we ship him up there.
Old 01-20-08, 09:47 AM   #21
solveg
Squirrel

Quote:

BluesDawg, that looks like SO much fun!
Old 01-20-08, 09:47 AM   #22
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
Dunno about folk in MN... but this morning I went for a ride (1 hr.). It was -12 when I left and warmed up a bit (-10) by the time I got home. Bright sunny morning..... not much wind. Makes the coffe taste better too....
Old 01-20-08, 09:51 AM   #23
solveg
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy™ View Post
Dunno about folk in MN... but this morning I went for a ride (1 hr.). It was -12 when I left and warmed up a bit (-10) by the time I got home. Bright sunny morning..... not much wind. Makes the coffe taste better too....
YES! I'm so proud of all of us! Your new name is: Polar Bear Biker Grampy™.
Old 01-20-08, 10:02 AM   #24
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
OOOOOOOkay!
Old 01-20-08, 12:44 PM   #25
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

I visited Texas in January of 2006. They were in the midst of one of the worst extended droughts in recorded history. I visited the Corpus Christi/Padre Island area, Austin, and Fredricksburg. Was there for 7 days. It rained on me on 5 of them.

Now that said, I have experienced wonderful weather on several vacations. But my luck on trips to Florida is so bad that it is almost statistically impossible to be true.