User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivers Who Are - Less than safe? RANT

This really is about road safety, which I include in my perspective of riding. Tonight, as I drove my friend home we always joke about me putting on the headset and getting ready for another "You got a really good stop, guy!" , as we were told a couple of weeks ago by one of the arresting officers after we reported a drunk driver. The police asked that we stop four car links behind them after they pulled this guy over. Turns out he was a felon on parole with an outstanding warrant, violation of probation and "on something".

A week later there was another one North bound on the 405 freeway. Tonight I was only about four blocks from home and here is someone driving 8 mph in a 40 and going, literally, from the outside lane to the left hand turn lane and then coming to a complete stop in the middle of the two lanes east bound on a four lane divided road. Gee, I wonder if they are impaired? I reported it and the police ask that I stay behind them and report the cross roads. It wasn't to difficult at speeds ranging from 0 to 12 mph until the guy made a left hand turn on red from the outside go straight lane, which he did right in front of an officer who was just coming up behind me. They again asked that I stop behind the officers. That wasn't a problem, except the person did not want to stop so the slow speed chase was on. They finally cornered him in a shopping center parking lot where he had no place to go. As I waited for about ten minutes, as requested, my cell phone rings. Dispatcher: "Fred, the officers say you don't need to stay. They have everything they need." Three squad cars and "Crime Scene Investigation" truck. (Note: I am the Fred of Fred's)

Many of us ride these roads (with the exception of the freeway) and have to worry about the drivers who are distracted, belligerent / nasty and honking, aggressive and out to get you let alone under the influence and distracted. I believe that we all need to be more observant and when we see a dangerous motorist or bicyclist for that matter and humbly and politely report it to the authorities.

The life yoy save could be our own!

Rant over. Thank you for your time!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work thomas.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job. Sometimes it's tough to get those white Broncos to pull over in SoCal.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well done, sir. After seeing first hand how many lives have been ruined here in NW Florida what you do is commendable. We should all take you example. I have and will again. Pulling an innocent young woman from a smashed and burning car after a drunk came across 3 lanes to hit her head on in 1980 I have been amazed in the number that drive while drunk or stoned. Keep up your great example.

Bill

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to Hijack the thread but it reminds of a time we did a similar thing over 30 years ago while in my late 20's. We were at the Lake and were leaving after a day of fun-we had a car of 4 with all of us in out 20's. The driver of the car ahead of us was so impaired he rain up on a raised sidewalk on a long bridge over the lake. He swerved back onto the road, overcorrected, etc. At one point we thought he was going over the concrete sides of the bridge. Just across the bridge fortunately he stopped at a store-we guessed to buy more beer.......This was in the days before cell phones so we stopped at a pay phone and called the police. They came right out and waited for the fellow to leave the store. We slowly followed "the pursuit" and watched the policeman pull the fellow over.

Also reminds me of a time I was heading back to the house with these same folks in my car late on a Saturday night-probably past midnight. A young fellow in a convertible came zooming around us on a curvy 2 lane road. A few miles down the road we see a large cloud of dust and off on the side of the road was the car that had passed us on its side. The radio in the car was full volume but off any AM station so all we heard was an ear piercing static. It took us a while to figure that out but eventually we got the darn thing turned off. I think the car was still running as well. It took us a few minutes but we found the driver in a ditch and he was really coated in dirt and completely unresponsive. I can still see his face wiht all the dirt on it. One person ran down to a house and called the EMS. We tried everything to keep the young fellow going but later learned he didn't live. A really sobering experience. He was probably the age my oldest kids are now..........

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crimefighter on a bike: fthomas. They should pay you a bounty for each.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Distracted and incompetent motorists are American society's dirty little secret, and the price we pay for making a driver's license absurdly easy to obtain and to retain.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add that I see far to many Hispanic Bicycle Riders every day and night. No helmet, no lights at night, dark clothing and riding on the sidewalk against traffic.

I believe that we also have a responsibility as "responsible bicycle riders" to enter into a discussion with the communities that have the largest percentage of this type of rider.

I think this is another thread.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    I would like to add that I see far to many Hispanic Bicycle Riders every day and night. No helmet, no lights at night, dark clothing and riding on the sidewalk against traffic.

I believe that we also have a responsibility as "responsible bicycle riders" to enter into a discussion with the communities that have the largest percentage of this type of rider.

I think this is another thread.
    I concur. Since I live in Leucadia, I frequently encounter the cyclists you describe, but I would not restrict the discussion to a single ethnic group -- bad cyclists come in all colors. The one thing I shall say in favor of the wrong-way cyclists is that they seem to have learned to slow or even to stop and to cower against the curb when they see me approaching them from the proper direction. However, it is still no fun to encounter one at a blind intersection.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a lot of thinking lately about how to launch a campaign against "wrong way" bicycling in my town. Much of it will involve educating people about the right way to ride and the dangers of riding the wrong way. Ironically, I think most of them think they are safer that way. Many are "taught" by their parents to ride the wrong way. A lot of the confusion comes from associating bicycle riding with walking, where it is correct to go against traffic.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I went in to get a passport. So I was waiting in line and there were about a dozen people there and all of them were in to pay off traffic fines that happened whilst they were driving without a license. It did not exactly raise my estimation of the expertise of the local motorists.