Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone live near Portland?

According to industry experts the North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS), presented by Don Walker, sheduled for February 8-10 at the Oregon Convention Center, Portland Oregon, is the main reason for the flourishing high-end niche market for handmade bicycles in North America.

This Dawg sure wishes he could be there and see all the beautiful bikes and the "outside the box" ideas being put into bikes. If I can't be there it would be good to get the inside scoop from someone who can.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going. I will take pictures of anything in particular that you are interested in.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I'm going. I will take pictures of anything in particular that you are interested in.

Great! Anything that strikes you as interesting. I'm always a sucker for a pretty lugged steel frame.

But on the innovation front, I'm really interested in the developments in using the 650B wheel size on mountain bikes. There are supposed to be several builders with 650B experiments to show. Maybe even a few ready for production full suspension models. Kirk Pacenti is really pushing this concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawg, you might keep an eye on bikeportland.org. Jonathan covers the whole biking scene here and he'll be doing extensive coverage of the show. He's a great photographer to boot, and you can keep up with his pics over at his flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    He's a great photographer to boot[/url]
    Certainly better than me, after glancing at his gallery!

My excuse (in advance) will be that I'm just taking my subcompact camera to the show; I'm likely not going to have my "good" camera that day.

Likewise, I'm usually *much* faster on my "good" bike, which is never the one I'm riding when I get smoked.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'm always a sucker for a pretty lugged steel frame.
    BluesDawg, check this out.

Interesting bike: modern frame + stainless lugs + S&S couplers + vintage components (it even has an extra set of wheels w/wood rims!)

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2007/cc...eeman0907.html

This is the personal bike of Bob Freeman, who is the co-owner of Elliott Bay Cycles in Seattle, where Bill Davidson makes bikes. He calls this "black beauty," and rides it everywhere. He just had one built like it for his wife, and they recently toured around Italy on them.

(Bob designed my Davidson...after a lot of wavering, I did mine in ti, but a Davidson lugged steel would definitely be on my N+something list. Bob is also the guy who yells at me when I mention I'm interested in putting modern components on my vintage Tommasini. He has an unbelievable collection of vintage bikes hanging in the shop; if you're ever in Seattle, and you like lugged steel, you have to visit their store).

Davidson is going to be at the show; I'll get more pics of Black Beauty if it's there.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 01-27-08 at 10:45 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links. Davidsons are beautiful bikes.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going for two days, should be fun and interesting, come on out!

Here is the discussion with people who are going from Bike Forums, there are plans for a night of drinking and eating at a nearby pub even.
    NAHBS 2008 - Who's going!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I attended the Oregon Handmade Bike Show at the Forestry Center in Portland a couple of months ago. There were 27 exhibitors just for that one, and far larger than expected attendance. Fun show!

Davidson was at that one (only out of state mfg) - my grandson rides a Davidson on the track at Marymoor Velodrome in Redmond, WA. They made a loaner "fleet" for the youth development program at Marymoor.

We will definitely be at the National show next month.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy who won a category in the 2005 show lives in Madison. He runs Jonny Cycles. Last summer I posted a story about him and a couple of other builders who work alongside him in a Madison warehouse. Just chatted with one of them about a month ago and they said they were doing well and each had a backlog of bikes to build.

http://www.madison.com/archives/read...0707050269.php

http://www.jonnycycles.com/
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    A guy who won a category in the 2005 show lives in Madison. He runs Jonny Cycles. Last summer I posted a story about him and a couple of other builders who work alongside him in a Madison warehouse. Just chatted with one of them about a month ago and they said they were doing well and each had a backlog of bikes to build.

http://www.madison.com/archives/read...0707050269.php

http://www.jonnycycles.com/
    Really nice lug work on those bikes, WOW!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to run down to Elliott Bay Cycles today (yes, I "had" to) and ran into Bill Davidson, who showed me the bikes they are taking to the show in Portland. Wow. Not sure they can show them now that I've drooled on them, but I guess they can clean them up. I guess it's not fair for me to describe the bikes before the show, but there's one lugged steel bike that I'm sure BluesDawg will appreciate. I will get photos at the show.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davidson had some nice bikes at the show, what an artist.

Calfee brought these bikes of interest, they sure do like working with natural materials!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are great. That would be a really fun show to attend.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some photos from the show so far:

link

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Likewise, I'm usually *much* faster on my "good" bike, which is never the one I'm riding when I get smoked.
    Yeah, me too.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Davidson had some nice bikes at the show, what an artist.

Calfee brought these bikes of interest, they sure do like working with natural materials!
    That's really something!
    I tried to come up with something funny to say, but everything I came up with was too corny.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked for photos of steel bikes....there were lots at the show.

When I get back to Seattle I'll resize some photos and post them; for now...here's a wood bike to get you started...

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More photos from the show.

Linkie

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of great photos showing up from the show. Since there was a specific request above for lugged steel, here are some lugged steel highlights I spotted from Davidson (Seattle); Bilenky; Rene Herse; Vendetta (very nice single speed); Townsend; and Vanilla.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another post from the show. Not steel!

Two titanium bikes of interest...very practical, as well (if you ignore the price!).

Since I've started riding more -- especially commuting -- I've been more and more interested in the benefits of a Rohloff hub, which cuts down on maintenance. Here were two very interesting bikes at the show. The first was a Titanium Independent Fabrication cyclocross bike that had a Rohloff hub, S&S couplers, and disc brakes. Seems to me this would make a great bike to travel with -- you can break it down into a case, with no derailleurs to fiddle with when you arrive. And it would be suitable for anything from around town riding to light trails to credit card touring.

I've been reviewing all the photos I took at the show, and while this bike isn't flashy, it's an idea for a bike I keep coming back to. Pretty appealing to me.

The second bike was a pretty fancy commuter from Moots called the "Comooter;" again with a Rohloff hub, Ti frame, and disc brakes.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 02-11-08 at 12:30 AM.

Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the winner of the President's Award, The People's Choice Award and the Best of Show was this beauty from Naked Bikes from Victoria, B.C.

The second one also received lots of notice.

(Getting a clear shot of any bike at the show was IMPOSSIBLE on Saturday. The Fire Marshall even closed the show to new entrants for a half-an-hour on Saturday afternoon due to the crush.)
    Last edited by Foldable Two; 02-10-08 at 10:02 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, those are some great looking bikes! I wish I could have been there. Thanks for the pictures.
    Any 650B info?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Wow, those are some great looking bikes! I wish I could have been there. Thanks for the pictures.
    Any 650B info?
    Yeah, there were several 650B's there. I wasn't watching closely for that size but there were a ton of randonneur-style bikes at the show, and several had 650b wheels.

I think at least one of these Bilenky bikes had 650b wheels....
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 02-11-08 at 12:25 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foldable Two View Post
    And the winner of the President's Award, The People's Choice Award and the Best of Show was this beauty from Naked Bikes from Victoria, B.C.

(Getting a clear shot of any bike at the show was IMPOSSIBLE on Saturday. The Fire Marshall even closed the show to new entrants for a half-an-hour on Saturday afternoon due to the crush.)
    Yeah, it was hard to get photos. This is another shot of the Naked bike..you might be able to spot that there is a hole in the top tube where the u-lock goes through. Pretty clever...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast