Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One argument against bringing bikes inside

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 02:45 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rode up to my door and was just about to put the bike in the dining room (otherwise known as the bike den) when I glanced back at a small, brown lump on the sidewalk. A little closer examination proved it to be the end product of a doggie's food cycle -- the waste product, as it were.

Knowing Murphy operates very openly in these parts, I checked my tyres (a nod to Stapfam with the spelling), and sure enough, there was abundant evidence that I had, indeed, ridden right over the aforementioned doggie tootsie roll.

But I was lucky to have made my discovery while still outside, because I could hose off the tire (a nod to those this side of the pond, spelling-wise), before bringing the malodorous beast into my living quarters. Who knows how long it would have taken to find the source of the aromatically challenged offender?

Then, after hosing the bike, I thought to check, and indeed there something suspicious on the tread on my shoes, as well - seems in my dismount I may have planted a foot in the little brown mudpie.

Ah, well, all's well that ends well.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-27-08, 02:58 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Ah, well, all's well that ends well.
Yup. I'm thinking that you should be congratulating yourself for figuring it out before you rolled the bike inside. Well done! This might be a good day to go buy a lottery ticket.
Old 01-27-08, 03:05 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ACK! Thanks for the heads-up to check our tyres before bringing our bikes in the house!
Old 01-27-08, 03:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the problems I have offroad is that there are carparks near the trails, or even on the trails, in some places. I have a theory in that Townies drive out to our well maintained carparks to allow the dog to get some exercise. I have seen them and they arrive- wind down the window to see if it is still raining or if it is cold- Open up the back door of the car and let the dog out. After a 3 hour drive from London- It is obvious what the dog is going to do- and for that reason- we avoid car parks like the plague. You cannot get near them without the risk of throwing up Dog Pooh all over the bike- you and the water bottle. Sorry but dog pooh is the worst we get on our rides.

Not the same with Horse droppings or Fresh Cow pats. Lead rider will see it and either accelerate or slow down to get the right distance between himself and the following riders. Even better if he can get a rider alongside him. Then it is Keep the pace and bunny hop straight into it. Then all around get a bit. Nothing like the smell of Fresh country air- hours after you have got home.

Mind you- You have to be a fit rider to do it properly. That is fit enough to stay away from the other riders- till they calm down.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-27-08, 04:48 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My big problem is not the dogs in the apartment complex but rather that the parking lot is on a hill and during the rains all the oil, dirt and atf flows down so I pick up quite a bit of it on my tires before I get to the apartment.

I have a carpet runner for each bicycle and they get carried between the door and the carpet.

Last edited by Artkansas; 01-28-08 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-27-08, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
One night I decided to pull well of the road into the grass, before getting off my bike, in the dark. On the way home I kept wondering why the farms had so much manure on the fields, like never before. Got home, brought the bike onto the porch, walked into the kitchen, the carpeted hall, the hardwood floor, and the rug in the living room.

Then..... I looked at the bottom of my foot.
Old 01-27-08, 05:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Nothing like the smell of Fresh country air- hours after you have got home.
Around my part of the world we call that "Dairy Air".
Old 01-27-08, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd check your shorts/back of your shirt just to be sure that you didn't get any on you too. On the road bike, it's not too big of an issue with dog/cow/horse dung. On my MTB, however, it's a different story. We see horse/cow patties on a lot of trails. Even when it's not feces, the MTB is always caked in fresh mud. I had so much clay mud once that I thought I'd never get it all off. I'm talking about "clay baked bike" here...the entire thing encrusted in mud! Imagine taking that into the house. LOL
Old 01-27-08, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too often, the offending beast are geese! They can trash a paved trail, parking lot, or grassy area, especially if it is anywhere near water. It's on the bike, your shoes, the side of the car....
Old 01-27-08, 05:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Might want to check under the forks for more traces of same......
Old 01-27-08, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Shouldn't the mods move this to Poo?
Old 01-27-08, 08:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doughboy
I'd check your shorts/back of your shirt just to be sure that you didn't get any on you too. ...
A new reason to put fenders on a bike.
Old 01-27-08, 08:57 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Gives a new meaning to the phrase "skunk stripe" on the back of your jersey doesn't it.
Old 01-27-08, 10:04 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
What a crappy thread.........
Old 01-27-08, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Shouldn't the mods move this to Poo?

Another reason I lost interest in XC skiing. Dog poop in snow is usually easy to spot but hard to avoid while skiing.
Old 01-27-08, 11:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless of where I ride from my front door, I must go through a stretch of road that seems to always be littered with goose droppings. Hence, I've gotten in the habit of hosing off my bike after each and every ride... even in the frigid winter. My bikes have always been cleaner than my cars. DG: Did you ever own a puppy? Once you've had this experience, getting rid of a bit of dog doo is no big deal. With that said, aren't you glad you found it when you did?
Old 01-28-08, 12:33 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Regardless of where I ride from my front door, I must go through a stretch of road that seems to always be littered with goose droppings. Hence, I've gotten in the habit of hosing off my bike after each and every ride... even in the frigid winter. My bikes have always been cleaner than my cars. DG: Did you ever own a puppy? Once you've had this experience, getting rid of a bit of dog doo is no big deal. With that said, aren't you glad you found it when you did?
I've had several puppies and dogs in my life, and in fact, I miss 'em terribly. I can't have a dog in my current circumstances (both because the building has a "no dog" policy, and because with my travel, since I live alone, it would be unfair to the dog). But it's been awhile, and I don't have to deal much with doo doo. I have another problem most of you don't face -- in my front yard is an enormous, and quite beautiful palm tree. What's the problem? It "sheds" literally hundreds of seeds (about the size of a small nut). everyday. They fall everywhere -- on the sidewalk, on my balcony, on the street, you name iit. They're a pain to step on, because they smash and get stuck in the tread of my MTB shoes, or any shoes, for that matter, and the bike tires, and so on. Nearly every day I"m sweeping them or hosing them away. What a hassle! They get tracked into the house and wind up everywhere.

Anyway, I've had lots of dogs, raised from pups, and love 'em a lot. Right now, since I can't have a dog, I'm *this close* to getting a cat. My daughter moved out today to her own apartment, and I'm now an empty nester again. I need some company!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-28-08, 01:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
My daughter moved out today to her own apartment, and I'm now an empty nester again. I need some company!
OK, having a daughter move out after living with you for 3 weeks doesn't make you an empty nester!!!

But seriously, the whole dog/cat switcheroo thing is tricky. If you're used to one, I think the other can come up short in terms of expectations.
Old 01-28-08, 04:24 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This seems like more of a "another reason dogs should be eliminated" thread.
Old 01-28-08, 12:07 PM
BFD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 01-29-08, 03:47 PM
AAX

Bikes: Winterbeater;moutain tourbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D.Gee

Consider looking at a parrot in stead of a cat. Maybe as small as a love bird, cockatiel, or all the way
up to a macaw.?? they are generally exellent company.And than there is the language you can
teach them.!!! Just kidding; but the company part is true, they can even ride with you on your shoulder.
Old 01-29-08, 03:53 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibber
Too often, the offending beast are geese! They can trash a paved trail, parking lot, or grassy area, especially if it is anywhere near water. It's on the bike, your shoes, the side of the car....
And it's a stinkin' green

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-29-08, 07:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
This seems like more of a "another reason dogs should be eliminated" thread.
Hey, what did I do?
Old 02-01-08, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
And it's a stinkin' green
We had a pet goose where I lived with some friends and I fell asleep drunk on the living room floor and that goose came in and nested on my legs. I woke to green crap all over me. The goose wouldn't let my girlfriend near me, (jealous?), if I was in the yard. A great pet!
On the original topic, I have put the bike in the car with me after running over dog poop. That was an eye-opener.
Old 02-01-08, 03:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
We had a pet goose where I lived with some friends and I fell asleep drunk on the living room floor and that goose came in and nested on my legs. I woke to green crap all over me. The goose wouldn't let my girlfriend near me, (jealous?), if I was in the yard. A great pet!
On the original topic, I have put the bike in the car with me after running over dog poop. That was an eye-opener.
Yet another reason to get that convertable sports car you've always wanted

Spike Milligan