Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Annual medical today.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Annual medical today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 01:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Annual medical today.

Just had my yearly checkup at the Quacks and no problems except for cholesterol count going up a bit so Symvastatin doubled to 40 mgs to see if it betters. Only 3 months of it and I have to keep an eye open for the side effect of Muscle wasting or Pain.

But a new doctor- again- and he asked all the questions about diet and lifestyle. Checking through he noted that I had had a bypass and wondered why I was not on beta blockers. Explained to him that a year after the op- I found it was affecting my cycling and decided to come off them. Why Did you want to come off them? It was affecting my heart rate and I could not get anywhere near my max HR and it was slowing me down. What was your Max HR? around 165 and occasional just into the 170's. And what do you get now? Don't get into the 170's any longer but still see 165 occasionally.

At that he asked me about my bike riding and explained that I am taking it easier now and only doing road riding at present- with at least two rides of 20 miles and if the weathers right- a longer one at the weekends.

At long last- I have a doctor who did not pass out at the thought of Cycling at a "Mature" age. But still got the lecture about not overdoing it- don't push yourself too hard and as soon as I get any problems- come back and see him.

Then the next question- "How do you get started on Cycling. What type of bike and what shop to get good advice on getting started"? Hope he does think about it a bit more as he passed the comment that I am carrying a bit of weight. And as I had already noted mentally- He is carrying a lot of extra weight. It would be nice to be treated by a Doctor who understands and practices the benefit of physical fitness sometime.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-30-08, 01:40 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Be careful about the cholesterol or there will be no pie!
Old 01-30-08, 01:48 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Be careful about the cholesterol or there will be no pie!
On this forum- there will always be Pie. Just might have to go to smaller portions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dlpie.jpg (38.8 KB, 27 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-30-08, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
It would be nice to be treated by a Doctor who understands and practices the benefit of physical fitness sometime.
Yeah. I also found a doctor whose about 20 years younger than me. I don't want to be breaking in a new young pup when it comes time for me to kick the bucket.
Old 01-30-08, 05:16 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Coincidentally, my family doc, cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon are all road cyclists/triathletes, but all much younger than me. I occasionally suffer from a-fib, so some time back I asked my cardiologist if it would be OK to go to my HRmax (161 achieved; 153 if 220-age) and he said as long I feel OK, do it, so I do, but not for extended periods, although yesterday I was drafting a couple of my 70+ year-old friends at 19-20mph into a stiff wind and my heart was at 97% max for about 20 minutes. I thought my lungs were about to explode! I've had nuclear stress tests and my pipes are clear. No problems yet.
Old 01-30-08, 08:41 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
... It would be nice to be treated by a Doctor who understands and practices the benefit of physical fitness sometime.
Yup! It would also be nice to see one who is not trying to support the pharmaceutical industry.

My orthopedist is a member of a group practice oriented specifically towards sports medicine -- I would not have it any other way. When I was recovering from my knee cap dislocation and later from my radius fracture, we compared notes on the merits of ASICS running shoes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-31-08, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Several, road, mountain and "beater"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
took a stress test yesterday as a flooow up for a stent implanted in october. as i passed the medically dictated max heart rate, with no thoughts of stopping, i had to explain to the doctor that i wasn't trying to impress anyone but that i did have a point to prove to myself. i didn't stop the test until the heartrate went over 175.
my doctor is old school.....he doesn't think that the way i exercise is good for anyone with heart desease.
it's been 14 years since i had bypass, i quit smoking and lost a ton of weight. apparently, once you have heart desease, you always have heart desease.

good luck, chase the pie!
Old 01-31-08, 08:13 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On this forum- there will always be Pie. Just might have to go to smaller portions
That wasn't a very small portion in the picture

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-31-08, 09:07 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by CtRoadie
... my doctor is old school.....he doesn't think that the way i exercise is good for anyone with heart disease. ...
I like old school bicycles, but not old school doctors.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-31-08, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Several, road, mountain and "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I like old school bicycles, but not old school doctors.
i agree, but without the doc, i wouldn't be showing everyone how badly i spell!
Old 01-31-08, 10:02 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
SF,
Glad your physical went well, at least your doctor asked, about getting into cycling, of you. Mine is in 22 days so I will know if the surgeries are over for a while and if I got the kindey function back to a respectable level. Have a piece of pie for me and I will do the same for you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-31-08, 12:04 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
That wasn't a very small portion in the picture
Its not a very small rider either

He is my Co-rider on the Tandem on the Fun Rides.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-31-08, 04:24 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About six months ago I had to change health care providers and am now with Kaiser. The doctor I went to see for my annual checkup was probably about 40 - 45, I'm guessing. The only thing he did was check my heart rate and then finally ask me about how much exercise and what type of exercise I do. I told him I walk 40 miles a week, ride my bike between 50 - 100 a week and go to the gym and do weights 3 days a week. I really don't think he believed me. I wanted to get blood work done because I like to keep track of my cholesterol, but he wouldn't even let me take it, he said I didn't need it. I haven't been sick in about 10 years except for back problems. I don't know what to make of this new doctor. He did have me take my yearly female tests but that was it.
Old 01-31-08, 04:29 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What you ought to do is put on 100lbs- waddle into the doctors and say you have a chest pain. Here in the UK- it is being realised that Cholesterol and (For Males) PSA blood tests become more important the older you get. And it is also realised that even the fittest- lightest- those on good diets and get plenty of exercise can get the problems

Spike Milligan