Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

January mileage

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

January mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 10:25 PM
deep stuff

Bikes: Road, Touring, Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January mileage

Ok, gotta admit I'm not ashamed to crow about it. On bikejournal.com my ancient 60 year old butt is the top dog for mileage so far in 2008 in Idaho out of 74 riders. Hell, I notice I've even kicked DGs mileage down there in San Diego, what, too warm to ride?
Old 01-31-08, 10:38 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea. I stopped counting miles a while ago. I just get on my bike and do the hours my coach prescribes. What that adds up to in miles is more than I want to deal with. It's the same with HR. I haven't worn a monitor strap since getting a powertap. Miles are so dependent on terrain and type of workout it really doesn't mean much to me.
Old 01-31-08, 10:52 PM
deep stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I have no idea. I stopped counting miles a while ago. I just get on my bike and do the hours my coach prescribes. What that adds up to in miles is more than I want to deal with. It's the same with HR. I haven't worn a monitor strap since getting a powertap. Miles are so dependent on terrain and type of workout it really doesn't mean much to me.
Wow, that sounds like a real drag. What happened to the joy of really riding a bike for fun?
Old 01-31-08, 11:05 PM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brucewiley
Ok, gotta admit I'm not ashamed to crow about it. On bikejournal.com my ancient 60 year old butt is the top dog for mileage so far in 2008 in Idaho out of 74 riders. Hell, I notice I've even kicked DGs mileage down there in San Diego, what, too warm to ride?
I would love to be riding, but have not ridden in about 10 days. All of the ice and snow on the streets in the Treasure Valley is not helping. Are you able to ride in this?
Old 01-31-08, 11:06 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a real drag. What happened to the joy of really riding a bike for fun?
Thing is, I really love to ride my bike. I also like to train. I've been training in one sport or another for most of my life. It doesn't really matter to me cause I have fun every time I get on my bike. I know most people don't understand that but for me I need to have some focus to the things I do. After my events are over in summer, I turn off all the meters and just ride. Either way I can enjoy riding. Except for trainer time. That is a bit of an effort. But when I get back out on the road I appreciate that effort.
Old 01-31-08, 11:10 PM
deep stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
ok, did my chain get pulled on that one? I had a couple of glasses of vino tonight and my reality check is in question.
Old 01-31-08, 11:17 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, did my chain get pulled on that one? I had a couple of glasses of vino tonight and my reality check is in question.
No, not really. I was being serious. If I had to guess based on hours and average speed I probably rode about 550-600 miles this month. But if I did the same hours on the flat my total might be more like 750 miles. I've never tried to ride to max out miles in a month. I think in the past my largest total was about 850 or so, all in the mountains.

Everybody enjoys riding their own way. It's all good.
Old 01-31-08, 11:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats to you.
So....how many miles?
Old 01-31-08, 11:32 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I need more discipline and an accountability partner to keep me in the saddle!

Congrat's!!!! on the mileage!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 02-01-08, 05:26 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had to post here, seeing the messages from the old homies. I grew up in Nampa, and worked in Caldwell at the County Govt until '87. Hi guys! Maybe I'll look you up if I get a chance to visit my Dad this summer.

Anyway... only 134 in January, including 35 yesterday. I did more time on the trainer than on the roads this month. Ack phooey....
Old 02-01-08, 07:29 AM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimF22003
I had to post here, seeing the messages from the old homies. I grew up in Nampa, and worked in Caldwell at the County Govt until '87. Hi guys! Maybe I'll look you up if I get a chance to visit my Dad this summer.

Anyway... only 134 in January, including 35 yesterday. I did more time on the trainer than on the roads this month. Ack phooey....
Send me a personal message when you get ready to come back to Canyon County. In the meanwhile, I posted routes I use at www.bikely.com under "twobikes." I am the pastor at Grace Lutheran on S. Kimball in Caldwell. You can find me that way, too. I am not a native, though. I moved here in '95.
Old 02-01-08, 07:42 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
178 in January. I've been having motivation problems. Once my plans to ride cross country in 2008 got shelved, I've found it hard to do what I need to do - ride.

Old 02-01-08, 07:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
178 in January. I've been having motivation problems. Once my plans to ride cross country in 2008 got shelved, I've found it hard to do what I need to do - ride.
NOOOOooooooo! Time to set new goals my friend. If you can't ride across country, maybe you can set another goal that will get your cycling juices flowing. You've been cycling such a short time and within that time have done things a lot of folks take many years to do. Don't let it slip away now. As the Historian, you surely know that history will repeat itself if we don't take steps to change its course.

For my part, I'm on track for my Jan. & Feb. goals (yes, I begrudgingly set some) of at least 10 miles per day. As of last night I'm at 314.
Old 02-01-08, 08:07 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
NOOOOooooooo! Time to set new goals my friend. If you can't ride across country, maybe you can set another goal that will get your cycling juices flowing. You've been cycling such a short time and within that time have done things a lot of folks take many years to do. Don't let it slip away now. As the Historian, you surely know that history will repeat itself if we don't take steps to change its course.

For my part, I'm on track for my Jan. & Feb. goals (yes, I begrudgingly set some) of at least 10 miles per day. As of last night I'm at 314.
First week in June, God willing, I should be riding 335 miles from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC, on the trail system. I'm currently plotting and planning with my partner in two wheeled riding, Neil F.

Old 02-01-08, 08:25 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First week in June, God willing, I should be riding 335 miles from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC, on the trail system. I'm currently plotting and planning with my partner in two wheeled riding, Neil F.
That's more like it. There are some great websites with info on riding this trail.

You're way ahead of me on January mileage. Between crappy weather, work, severe sinus infection, retirement job training....the excuses go on and on. I've managed zilch.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-01-08, 09:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, how many miles was that?

I'm guessing about 500-600 miles for me. It has been pretty rainy and I have ridden through some doozy storms lately. Maybe it's just me but I love riding in the rain.
Old 02-01-08, 09:14 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between surgery recovery, cold days, and 60 mph winds, January was my lowest mileage total for a month in a long time: 225 miles.
Old 02-01-08, 09:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your trips always sound great to me.

I am thinking about a tour this year...Right now everything is up in the air because of a trip to Galapagos and other things that are complicating my life. I want to do two tours. Tour the northwest and a trans-America. Wait, make that three things...The canyon lands, too. Oh, and Mexico. Make that five. My bike is spec'd for Buenos Aires to southern Patagonia along the eastern side of the Andes (with a side into Chile). Then there's the eastern hemisphere. ...
Old 02-01-08, 10:30 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I logged 205 miles in January--walking. Decided to take a bit of a break from cycling. LIked it so much, I'm thinking of taking a hiking vacation this year. I don't know what's gotten into me.
Old 02-01-08, 10:48 AM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm guessing around 600 +/- miles ....I don't have a bike computer these days....my most frequent ride is around 20 miles, another favorite ride is around 15-30 depending on the path I take, and I did 2 or 3 45-60 mile rides....I've been torn about getting a computer. Part of me wants to get it because I'm curious about "where I'm at" on certain parts of the rides and I am into technology a bit; another part of me says hold off for now and don't get caught up in it, just keep riding and enjoy....
Old 02-01-08, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am humbled. Between illness, Dec. 28 to Jan 12., and the advent of "global warming" which has included temps in the 10f range and ice and snow, I only have 70 miles for January. Already 100 miles in the hole against 2007.
Old 02-01-08, 11:21 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1,191 miles for January.
Old 02-01-08, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up with 547 mile for Jan. and a little over 13,000' of climbing
Old 02-01-08, 01:20 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January was my best month so far, with 734 miles.
Old 02-01-08, 02:41 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something like that.

Honestly? I'm in a cycling funk. The rainy weather has something to do with it, but it's more than that. Can't quite figure it out, but lately I just haven't wanted to ride. I'm not going to analyze it too deeply, nor worry about it too much, now that I have 2.5 years back on the bike I've come to recognize that there are periods when my interest wanes for a little while. Sooner or later, I'll hop on the saddle and get out there, and wonder why I haven't been riding much!

Heck, I probably just need a new bike!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.