Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who says nobody makes practical road bikes anymore?

The Raleigh Sojourn sure looks like a good general purpose road bike. Not the ticket for hanging in a paceline with the hammerheads, but it should be a good comfortable and stylish choice for a commuter, credit card tourer, charity ride, cross-state ride etc.

Looks like something similar to what I was going for with Uncle Duke.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks sensible. And every time I look at it- I see the "OLD" Raleigh trait in it. Good bike for a lifetimes use. Can't see any thing wrong with it for those that would want a good solid tourer.

Glad to see that Raleigh are coming back to the ideals that made their good name.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it! I like it! Found some more pix and a mini-review here:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific...leigh-sojourn/
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the color of the frame and the bar ends...very nice.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a coincidence...I just ran across this bike last night and was doing some research on it. Apparently it's just reaching bike shops now. You can do a search here at BF and see the commentary on it. The biggest knock I've seen against it is that it has 32-spoke wheels and (apparently) fairly low-end rims. So people interested in a hard-core touring bike would want to upgrade the wheels.

From what I've seen of the frame geometry on the Raleigh site it would be a good bike for commuting, general riding, and touring (if you upgraded a couple of weak points).

Also really interesting that it comes stock with a Brooks saddle...so you don't have to immediately negotiate for an upgrade/swap as you're buying the bike (I wonder how many purchasers of this bike, though, will ask their LBS to *please* get rid of the nasty hard saddle..). And, terrific that it has Brooks bar grips, fenders and a rack -- it would be a great commuter or "rain bike" here in the Northwest.

I think if you were interested in serious touring this is a bike you could buy, and run through the stock wheels while you're getting used to the bike, and then upgrade the wheels before your first big out-of-town trip. Otherwise ride it stock until something breaks.

Could be a worth competitor to other bikes in this class -- the Surly Long Haul Trucker or Cross Check complete (about $950); the REI Novara Randonee ($900); or the Trek 520 (about $1200). A SOMA Smoothie is another nice steel bike you could build up to about this price.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 02-02-08 at 12:15 PM.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody have any thoughts on disc brakes for a touring bike? I reckon they have good stopping power, but would they be finicky on tour? My limited experience (with an older low-priced) set of disc brakes was not that wonderful.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike pictured looks like a commuter; in that case discs make perfect sense as they provide great stopping power in wet conditions. I have them on my commuter. I don't have them on my roadie as they weigh more and I don't take the roadie out in wet weather very much so they (discs) are seldom needed; also I haven't found a disc hub that is the same quality as my roadie hubs are. I find the (mechanical) discs are less "finicky" than rim brakes as they seldom need adjustment and adjustments when needed are quite easy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pretty., but I'd rather skip the discs and add STI instead of the bar ends.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comes with a bell!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks like a really good all round touring bike- I love the discs and the bar end shifters(you can keep your STI). It just needs a hub dynamo and lights and it would be great
    only the dead have seen the end of mass motorized stupidity

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Anybody have any thoughts on disc brakes for a touring bike? I reckon they have good stopping power, but would they be finicky on tour? My limited experience (with an older low-priced) set of disc brakes was not that wonderful.
    My experience with disc brakes is that they are trouble free. Once set up- You never have to touch them. Only problem is that some work better than others. And some of the others don't work.

Spike Milligan

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with stapfam on disk brakes. My Portland has Avid BB7s and they're great--once you get them set up properly. You can look right down between the pads and the rotor to see if they're aligned properly. Mine weren't, and I had the dealer fix them. After that, they're golden.

In daily use and swapping wheelsets between road and snow tires, the only other thing is that it's easy to bend the rotors so they rub. If you're not swapping wheels all the time or you're more careful than I am, it's probably not an issue. They're just as easy to bend back, BTW.

An unexpected bonus is that when a wheel goes out of true, it doesn't affect braking at all. The downside, though, is that I have to use an actual truing stand to check them.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Comes with a bell!

Well, yes....but it doesn't say what kind. I'm concerned that I would need to upgrade to the ding-dong doorbell type that is my preference lately...

haha I like the "plain" no decal look a lot.
    Last edited by alicestrong; 02-02-08 at 02:35 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it! I like it! Found some more pix and a mini-review here:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific...leigh-sojourn/
    That is where I first saw it. Dirt Rag is a great magazine, BTW. Much more than just a mountain bike magazine.

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sneaking in (cause you guys have all the cool threads).

More kudos for Raleigh.

That is a great looking ride... all it needs is an internal gear hub and a hub generator mounted to some sweeter wheels to make it perfect.

Sneaking out now.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: discs vs. rim brakes.

I've never owned disc brakes, but I've been riding my Trek pretty hard over the winter (commuting) and I've pretty much trashed the rims after about 1800 miles of riding. Part of it was my fault -- the pads were picking up bits of aluminum from the rims, and that really wrecked the rims before I noticed. Part of it is the daily grind of the way I use the brakes -- I have a fair number of steep, sharp descents on my commute and I'm on the brakes a fair amount. (Also, I don't think the stock Bontrager Maverick rims are particularly rugged).

In any case, I now see why some hard-core commuters advocate discs -- I would rather replaces pads than my rims every few thousand miles.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jet,
    They appear to be Avid BB7s -- very highly rated mechanical discs. I have them on my Trek MTB and love them. Smooth and very reliable stopping power. I don't see why they wouldn't work well on a touring bike set up.

O.S.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are BB5 road discs according to the Raleigh site. Still a good brakeset, lacking some of the convenient adjustments on the 7s. Discs seem to be very reliable in some rough conditions on MTBs. I would think road duty would be a walk in the park for them.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has disc brakes on her old road bike (Redline Conquest D) and her new road bike (Lemond Poprad) and absolutely loves them. Insists upon them actually.

First tried them in hydraulic form on her mountain bike (Giant XT-C), and quickly went shopping for a road bike with discs. Both of her road bikes have Avid mechanical disc brakes, and both work quite well.

Yes, they are a bit heavier, so I don't think you'll see them in the pro peloton, but for normal road use they work great.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Re: discs vs. rim brakes.

I've never owned disc brakes, but I've been riding my Trek pretty hard over the winter (commuting) and I've pretty much trashed the rims after about 1800 miles of riding. Part of it was my fault -- the pads were picking up bits of aluminum from the rims, and that really wrecked the rims before I noticed. Part of it is the daily grind of the way I use the brakes -- I have a fair number of steep, sharp descents on my commute and I'm on the brakes a fair amount. (Also, I don't think the stock Bontrager Maverick rims are particularly rugged).

In any case, I now see why some hard-core commuters advocate discs -- I would rather replaces pads than my rims every few thousand miles.
    I find I wear out rims on V Braked wheels in about 18 months to 2 years on the MtB that is used offroad. By that time the Hubs are on the way out in any case so before they pack up completely- I buy new wheels. XT hubs and Mavic XC rims and the old wheels are passed on to any of my neighbours kids that have poor quality wheels. They seem to get another couple of years use out of them before they cause any problems though.

N.B.---- Haven't worn out any MTB wheels in the last 2 years as I do more road work now- but I estimate the milage to have been about 3,000 miles to a set of wheels- but that is offroad. The Tandem has Disc brakes and other than change the fluid and pads at around 4,000 miles- I never have to touch them.

Spike Milligan

tcs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Glad to see that Raleigh are coming back to the ideals that made their good name.
    BTW, this bike is from the American Raleigh, a completely different company from Raleigh in the UK. They bought the rights to use the Raleigh name here in the states back in the 1980s.

Best,
    tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Do they have one with more upscale components?

That's the bike that would make sense for me to own. The shop that I work at is even a Raleigh dealer so I assume that I could get one at EP (below wholesale) price. Not gonna happen.

My worst nightmere is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was. I'd like to leave them with the material for some more interesting stories than that.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by solveg; 02-03-08 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Other than the disk brakes and deep-section rims, it looks like something I'd buy. And an awful lot of the people for whom it'd make perfect sens won't buy it 'cause it doesn't look like what Lance rides.

Scott P
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this beautiful bike - a Masi Special CX - at a Portland bike shop yesterday. It's just under $1,000. Looks great, nicely equipped; beautiful all-round steel bike. It looked to me like this was a very good deal for what you get.

http://www.masibikes.com/cycles/speciale_cx.php
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 02-09-08 at 11:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast