Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Heft on Wheels

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heft on Wheels

Free if you promise to pass it on. First to PM.
    Last edited by robtown; 02-03-08 at 04:29 PM.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Free if you promise top pass it on. First to PM.
    What's is it?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a book by Mike Magnuson. You know the story-overweight, drinker, smoker who makes himself into a pretty darn good cyclist.

I was interested in it as he has ridden Bridge to Bridge that finishes on Grandfather Mountain. My brother rode a good while with him on BtB just before he started the book and got his story firsthand.

Robtown-I got about 1/2-2/3 through it and lost interest as it seemed to get so "self focused" and also seemed to be repeating everything. Should I pick it back up and finish it????

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn. I was hoping it was a bike.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

Robtown-I got about 1/2-2/3 through it and lost interest as it seemed to get so "self focused" and also seemed to be repeating everything. Should I pick it back up and finish it????
    I found it to be a bit repetitive. I'm also a bit peeved that he makes it seem so easy to ride hundreds of miles a month. It was still a quick read and different enough from the scifi and fantasy that's my usual staple to be worth finishing.
    I'm overwhelmed in clutter and trying to prune back a bit. Books seem to increase in value as they're shared ; I reserved this one for BF.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are just starting out, coming from being in terrible shape to getting fit, you will enjoy the book a lot. But yes, jppe, it gets repetitive after the first half.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was originally an article in Bicycling called 'Don't try this at home.'
    The article was brilliant, one of the finest bits of cycling writing I have ever seen.

It got expanded into a book, and the material got stretched. I was disappointed in the book, after reading the article. But if you can track down the article, it's wonderful.
    Your friendly, local, minor god of information.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the book and the article! It was the perfect book to read after bike rides in Yosemite, which is what I did, in that hour or two after the ride was finished and before the sun went back over the valley walls!

Lots of really excellent sections, and more so for me probably, since I went to college just over the Mississippi river from Carbondale (Cape Girardeau, MO), and knew some of the bike shops and people mentioned.

It's a short enough book, so read the whole thing! Maybe not brilliant prose, but a fun read for a recreational cyclist even if (like me) you don't drink beers/wine, nor smoke, nor have to lose a bunch of weight.

Rick / OCRR

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked this book, whatever flaws it has are overshadowed by it's pleasures.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article starts out with him at dinner in a 4 star inn in California's wine country.
    You don't know it yet, but he's half starved himself and is on doctor's orders to eat.
    So his reaction to fine cuisine is over the top, which is really what world class cuisine deserves.

He has just gotten a Litespeed Tuscany, which was one of the finest bikes in the world when he got it. So he and the bike were getting to know each other while he pounded up and down California back country and mountains, about a 100 miles a day. And then eating gourmet food and staying at 4 star inns.
    Your friendly, local, minor god of information.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed that Magnuson finished a few minutes ahead of me but a few minutes behind my brother in this past year's Assault on Mt Mitchell. I'll have to keep an out for him on the road next time. I'm sure we leap frogged as I was ahead of my brother with about 20 miles left.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a problem with books like this.

It's cool that people can write stuff like "I was a fat stupid lard-ass drunk but I biked a lot, a lot more than most people in their right minds would ever do, and now I'm a cat 2 cyclist".

Give me an author like John Bingham, someone who MIGHT write "I was a fat stupid lard-ass drunk, but I stopped drinking, got on my bike and rode as much as my schedule and energy level would allow, and lost a bit of weight. I'm still stoopid, the butt's too big, and my training rides can be timed with a calender, but I'm having fun anyway".

Then again, I don't suppose it would make for a very good book, except I have two or three of Bingham's books in my library, so someone would get around to reading them.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the book and had to keep putting it down and going back due to the writing style. One thing that struck me is that for anyone with an "addiction problem" and an "addictive personality" it is never easy to overcome. Magnuson's search for significance and walking away from a life style that was sure to put him into an early grave led him to bicycles. Bicycling for Magnuson and any of us is a far healthier addiction, if taken in moderation (whatever that is?).

I think it takes more than just discipline.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    I read the book and had to keep putting it down and going back due to the writing style. One thing that struck me is that for anyone with an "addiction problem" and an "addictive personality" it is never easy to overcome. Magnuson's search for significance and walking away from a life style that was sure to put him into an early grave led him to bicycles. Bicycling for Magnuson and any of us is a far healthier addiction, if taken in moderation (whatever that is?).

I think it takes more than just discipline.
    I think the book is brilliant. One of the subtexts of Heft on Wheels is the drive for excellence - how much are you willing to sacrifice for an activity you love. Magnuson was always a cyclist, even when he was a 255 pound lummox, but he changed who he was because he loved the sport and wanted to perform as well as he was able to. As a person who taught himself to ride a bike at age 41, and then rode his first century nine months later, I can identify with Magnuson to a degree.