Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which makes a better pet for a 50+ cyclist -- cat or dog?

I know it's a pretty silly question, but I'd love to hear about who has cats, who has dogs, who has both, and who has neither, and what relationship any of that has to do with cycling. Don't worry, I'll cross post on pets.com to ask what kind of bike I should buy!

Seriously, I'm pretty close to letting myself be adopted by a cat. Now that I'm an empty nester and all, you know. Pretty quiet around here. The complex doesn't permit dogs, so that's out. I'm actually a dog/cat person -- I like 'em both.

So let's swap dog and cat tails...er...tales!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cat would be the better choice. If you're going to be going on any overnight trips just leave out extra food and water and make sure the litter box is clean; a cat will take care of itself.

My Bikes
    Dean, De Rosa, Langster, some old Brit track iron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with aRoudy1: you can leave a cat while you're away for a while but not a dog. They're worse than babies, not that I'd know . I mean, grandma will take the kid for a day or two but she won't take your dog unless she's a very special grandma.
    I have three cats that keep me laughing, except when they vomit on the carpet.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a dog guy for the first half of my life. Even trained 'em for a living in my 20s, but cats, I've learned, are really wonderful. As the other posters say, they're a better bet for someone who is away from home. However, don't be fooled. While they can tend to themselves better than dogs can, cats are extremely social animals. Ideally, you might consider getting two young kittens at the same time. You'll be in for a lot of fun, and they'll keep each other company if and when you travel.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have both. The dog does not acknowledge the bikes at all. It would appear that he is uninterested in any form of motion that does not invovle putting his leash on.

The cats on the other hand are born mechanics helpers. They will sit for hours and assist in the construction of a bicycle. They find cable installation to be their favorite part of the job.

They will sit for hours and chase the bike when I ride the trainer.

My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with those gentlemen above me. Having a dog is like having a child . . . that never grows up. They are very needy, very dependent. They are a friggin' chore!

I have 2 Rottweilers. Wonderful dogs and great companions, no doubt. But they must be fed and walked twice a day, which puts a cramp into any wilding or spontaneity you might want to enjoy. And when I go away for a week's vacation it costs an arm and a leg to board them. Major freedom-blockers dogs.

Cats, they'll be just fine if you decide not to come home one evening
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We vote dog.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 02-02-08 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A feline is the best choice. In addition to their low maintenance, they are much quieter than dogs.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 dogs and a cat. Dogs require a minimum* of a one hour brisk walk per day, plus lots of mental games to keep them happy, healthy, and non-destructive. Doesn't matter how much you're working, or if you're sick. Beyond that, unless you have a busy, interesting household with lots of people around to interact with the dog, it will all fall on you. A dog isn't going to sleep all day until he gets old.

Cats on the other hand....easy keepers, and don't care if there's not much going on because it gives them time to look out the window in peace.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meow...

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like dogs and cats equally. Just so long as they're properly cooked.

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I have both. The dog does not acknowledge the bikes at all. It would appear that he is uninterested in any form of motion that does not invovle putting his leash on.

The cats on the other hand are born mechanics helpers. They will sit for hours and assist in the construction of a bicycle. They find cable installation to be their favorite part of the job.

They will sit for hours and chase the bike when I ride the trainer.
    +1 - The only things our dog is interested in are his leash, his food dish and his Milk-Bones. The cats, on the other hand, seem to be eager to interfere - er, assist - in anything, especially if it involves expensive or hard to get parts!
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    meow...

Deeg, muh man, I think you've got your answer. Meow indeed.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want cycling freedom, in the largest sense, I would vote "neither."

We've had dogs, and fortunately/unfortunately, I have to agree with all the positive/negative dog notes above. For an active cyclist, not good.

Now we have one or two outside cats (varies throughout the years). They come around for food, like to be petted, then go their own way. They are strays, but we have them fixed (yeah, even if they're not broken) and other than the occasional feeding, no problem at all.

If we're gone for a few days, or a week, they eat mice and small birds (yeah, they leave the feathers on the porch!), just like when they were kittens and hadn't yet found the free food that the humans put out.

Sometimes they never come back, and you wonder what happened to them . . .

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both. My dog is a bit unusual in that I could leave him a weeks worth of food and he won't gorge himself. Actually, the first day he or two he wouldn't eat. He likes company when he eats. Then he eats moderately after he gets hungry enough. He loves to run on the leash with me on the bike. I don't have to worry about anyone coming in the yard or the house while I'm gone. When I do come home the dog is there to greet me all excited. I like the cat, but the dog is my buddy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two cats and two dogs. Cats are easier but unless you plan on bike touring or are gone for more than 8-9 hours a day - no reason not to get a dog if that is the type of animal you really like. My dogs get two walks a day and are fine being left with each other and the cats during the day. Puppies are a lot more work than kittens. My real suggestion is to get one of each. I was always more of a cat person until I got my own dog - now I would not live without both.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote Dog!

Me and my Golden, Cody, have traveled miles and miles. He is also a great chick magnet - Hear that DG!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chick magnet or not, I can't have a dog where I presently live.

I'm going to be looking at these two cats tomorrow. Something is in the cards; after making arrangements to see them I popped on Craigslist and found someone who was selling a cat carrier, litter box, food bowls, etc. for $15 because their cat had passed away. I called and will be picking that up first. (I have none of these things presently and had planned to hit the pet store before checking out the cats.)

The Siamese showed up at his current owner's doorstep a couple or three weeks ago, but doesn't get along at all with her other cats or dog, for that matter. When he's by himself, which he would be with me, he's apparently quite sweet. I had Siamese as a kid and know their personalities and how they like to "talk" a lot!

The other is a member of a military family; the wife just got pregnant and her doc doesn't want her to deal with kitty litter and her husband is in Iraq.

It's going to be a hard decision!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a warning for you regarding the cat that showed up on the doorstep - both of our cats were strays that showed up on my mother-in-law's doorstep; the cheaper of the two only ran up $150 in vet bills, plus another $75 to get the dog treated for the worms & fleas the cat brought with him. The other one racked up almost $250, plus $50 for the dog and $25 for the other cat (he also brought along a bonus of ringworm!). Then there was the wonderful time of finding a time to treat the entire house for fleas, when we could have all three animals and all of the family members out for a couple of hours while the nasty chemicals killed off the fleas...
    Two of the most financially damaging things to recently enter my house have been "free kittens"! On the other hand, it's not at all a bad thing to fall asleep listening to two cats purring next to your pillow...
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cats and Dogs.... meh!

Get Canaries. They sing beautifully they're beautiful to look at, they don't take up much space. And you'd really be amazed at how much is going on in those little heads.

We had a pair in San Diego. His song included fire trucks, car alarms and helicopters. He told me how much he felt one day after his mate died. His song became a single persistant descending note that was the finest blues I have ever heard. Their awareness is amazing.

Ours were Gloster Fancies, that have a cool "Moe" like crest of feathers.

But don't get them if you have a CAAAAAT.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize publicly for the way this post sounded. I came back and read it and realized it did not sound appropriate. Changes made!

When I moved back from Hong Kong my wife insisted that she get a Maine Coon Cat, which is the only cat native to North America. They can get as large as a medium sized dog. Well, as you would have it there was a cat show in Dallas and she had to go. Of course we found the cat she wanted and she cut a deal with the breeder. So, back to temporary corporate housing with a large cat. A few weeks later we got moved into our house and Christmas was rolling around.

The first indication there was a problem was after we opened gifts and I had received a jacket and tried it on I put it back in the open box under the tree. The cat used it as a litter box and whizzed on it. Man did it smell.

I had a really nice leather and nylon soft brief case. A week later it was open and sitting against the wall in the living room. The cat found it and Yep: Whizzed in my brief case!

I was pretty angry and grabbed the cat and threw him out of the house. It immediately rushed back in the garage and was crying at the door. I picked it up. Put it in a kennel and took it to the vet. I had been raising black labs and had one dog who had gone to Nationals in Hunter Retriever Class and the vet knew the family and pets very well. I walked in the vets with this cat wailing in the carrier. Dr. Thompson came out and asked what the matter was. I told him: Why would this cat whizz on every thing that is "Mine"? He said he didn't know. So, I told him to figure it out by this afternoon and if he didn't come up with a good answer to put it to sleep.

He looked at me and said: "You can't do that it's your wife's cat."

I said, alright: "Put them both down."

The cat went back to the breeder and the wife decided to leave.

Now they are both gone. My wife never whizzed on anything of mine. Go figure!

Go for the cat DG!
    Last edited by fthomas; 02-03-08 at 06:14 PM.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medium sized dog. Something like a Terrier, a cats urine smell is hard to get rid of!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you need to move so you can get a dog. I highly recommend a Schipperke. It'll not only be a great companion, it will also serve as a chick magnet. CGallag can attest to that.

If moving's not an option skip the cat and get a chinchilla. They don't bark, bite, scratch or smell, are easy keepers and are the softest things ever.

As far as felines go -- I've been adopted by two cats (before I got dogs again) and they worked out just fine. If they think they're in charge I think they're happier. But I'm not a fan of litterboxes, either.

Once I had a tetra -- now he was fun to watch. But ultimately he was just a fish in a bowl, looking bored and looking for love, and it just seemed mean, so I never got another after he died.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Space Dust
    My Bikes
    Old DF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had both dogs and cats all my life. Presently my family has 4 cats but no dogs. Dogs are high maintenance pets.

There are several products on the market to remove urine smells. Both cats and dogs have "accidents" and they both smell equally bad. Cats usually have them in the litter box, dogs have them everywhere. When cats use anything but the litter box something is usually wrong. Always provide N+1 litter boxes, 'N' being the Number of cats you have. Keep them clean! Remember you don't like to use a filthy facility either. There are even all kinds of automated litter boxes. Some cats have even been trained to use human type facilities.

Both dogs and cats can be kept outside or inside. Cats usually do best inside. Cats can be left alone inside with someone to check on them every 2-3 days for long periods. Dogs require daily checks even if left outside with adequate food and shelter.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend a pet rock. Never saw anything in them myself but they cause no mess- Don't cost a lot to feed and if you have to go out- you can easily slip them into your pocket and they stay there.
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-03-08 at 01:25 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast