Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preparation for headwinds.

Just getting ready to go out and I have decided it will be a hill day. Couple of 12to25% and a long 2 mile drag going upwards. Part of the normal hill route in other words- but the problem today is it is only just above freezing and there will be a 25mph headwind from the South. That headwind will cause two problems- Wind chill to bring the temp down further and 2 of the hills run into that headwind. May be a bit sheltered on most of the climb but just as I crest the hill- It will be like a brick wall.

So a couple of Preparations being made. First of all the Ski mask has been dug out. That is going to be cold round the ears and face- and obviously it is a 4 layer day with the outer layer being windproof. And secondly- I have changed the gearing on the TCR. Not really but I want to try the TCR with lowest gearing of 34/25 on the hills and the headwind will prove whether it will work. Luckily it is only a 2 minute job to change the crankset to the 34t and the Gearing is changed by changing to another set of wheels with the 27 set up on it.

These changes to the bike are not a last minute thing most of us wish to do too often, but after many years of MTB's- I have everything set up so it will not cause problems. Had all my wheels checked that they are all set up the same. I have each wheel set up so that If I do no change from one set to another- I do not even have to adjust the derailler. Chain is set up to take the 27T without having to add links. And Both my bikes have the same crankset so that I can change cranks without worries about alignment or Having to change bottom bracket.

A little bit of forethought and I can do these things with ease. Mind you- One of the reasons I bought two top end bikes was so that I did not have to do this sort of thing- both bikes would be set up slightly differently so that I had a hill bike and a flat run bike. It's just me being fussy in that I want to try the TCR in the cold- and the wind and on the hills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    That headwind will cause two problems- Wind chill to bring the temp down further
    Just to pick nits, Step, the headwind will suck heat from your body and definitely make you colder, but it has no effect on the temperature.

That said, I should probably spend more time like you, fiddling with my bike and less time critiquing your posts.

Hope you had a happy ride.

Caruso

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ther is nothing in life quite like climbing into a cold headwind. Sweating and freezing at the same time, yuck.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is only just above freezing and there will be a 25mph headwind from the South.
    OK, Stap, you've convinced me. I'm going back to sleep. Would someone call to wake me up later this afternoon? I heard there's an American football game on TV.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a perfect day for a classic "out and back". Ride into the wind till you pop then let it blow ya home. The wind is your friend....
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™ View Post
    Sounds like a perfect day for a classic "out and back". Ride into the wind till you pop then let it blow ya home. The wind is your friend....
    Well I'm back but it was exactly like grampy foresaw. About 8 miles into the wind and two of the hills. Before I got to the hills- I thought I had left something behind- like my energy. That was hard. Up the hills and that TCR climbs well- Untill the top where I took the headwind full on. First hill not too bad but the second was fully open at the top. Crested the hill and I am certain I was trackstanding till I got pressure on the pedals. Then the long drag was a crosswind and thank goodness it was just constant- Leaning right at about 10Deg was not pleasant. Down For PIE and coffee and it was Apple today- no pics -sorry. Then along the coast to get some miles in. Slighly north of East and so a slight tailwind- That was easier so get out about 10 miles and turn back. I like Tailwinds. Got myself to 25mph and just leant on the pedals to touch 30- For about 5 miles.

This now put me about 10 miles from home with a crosswind again- but I chose a sheltered route so only caught it occasionally.

Milage was only 36 miles but as the hard bit was at the start- It was a hard ride. Just hope it calms down before next week.

And another thing learnt today. I normally ride with 140 psi in the tyres. I like the TCR but it does have a tendency to be skittish so I dropped the pressure down to 120. Completely different ride- No bouncing around and kept its line well.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a manimal, Stapfam
    We did a 34 mi leisurely ride on our Trek tandem this morning: Longboat Key to the north end of Anna Maria Is. and back. 70sF and light NE wind. Not a hill to be seen!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    You're a manimal, Stapfam
    We did a 34 mi leisurely ride on our Trek tandem this morning: Longboat Key to the north end of Anna Maria Is. and back. 70sF and light NE wind. Not a hill to be seen!!

Problem is that I am missing out on the midweek evening rides at present- Too cold and too wet and too windy. Just don't fancy them after a hard days work. If I don't go out and ride in these conditions- Then I would not be riding. And that wind chill factor---Stayed warm with my 4 layers and even though I had a Ski mask on- The exposed part of the face was painfull. Worst part was the eyes when I had a tailwind. The wind got inside the glasses and sent a freezing cold wind across the eye. When I got up to the speed of the tailwind- no wind and no pain. And the other unusual thing on this ride- Everyone else chickened out. I did not see one single serious rider out there today. Couple of Commuters that had to use a bike and no family groups of bikers- Even on the MUP I used for the last mile or so.

And I saw Brighton from a distance on the ride- and It looked colder than I felt- so give it a few months before you come over again.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam - I remember cold, wet and windy, and when I used to ride in that stuff, but it was a long time ago! Here we don't even ride if it's wet and many don't ride if the wind is blowing at >15mph. I don't think I've seen a road bike with mudguards/fenders.
    I can just imagine what it must be like up there on Beachy Head in weather that you describe. Getting up there is a challenge in itself on a fine day; not that I've ridden those hills.
    That work thing is getting in the way of the important things in your life, but did you say a little while back that you are retiring soon? Then you will be able to ride when you like, like I do: a couple of mornings a week in the winter, with the 60-70s bunch for 30mi at 17-18mph, stopping for coffee mid-way; Wed evening 20 mi paceline at 18-19mph; Sat 30mi with the oldies again but with my wife on a tandem, and on Sun, various club ride options, tandem or solo. Life is good!!
    We'll be over in the summer. Not decided exactly when, but hope to bring a tandem with us. I'm in the process of adjusting the gearing for non-flat terrain.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That headwind will cause two problems- Wind chill to bring the temp down further and 2 of the hills run into that headwind. May be a bit sheltered on most of the climb but just as I crest the hill- It will be like a brick wall.
    In my experience, the harder pedaling into winds like that more than compensates for the added wind-chill.

I rode 20-30 MPH headwinds on a hilly route a couple of weeks ago at around 20°F. Wearing a light baselayer, long-sleeved wicking t-shirt, and light windbreaker on top, shorts, kneewarmers, and ordinary tights (non-insulated, non-windproof), on bottom, I sweated through both layers and really wanted to shed that jacket, but didn't want to stop to do so.

I averaged 12.4 MPH on that ride, which included several 5-7 MPH granny-gear grinds up the hills.

Worse was that six hours later when I left my destination, the winds had shifted 150°! So instead of a tailwind home, I had a quartering headwind.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.