User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got to ride

I was beginning to think it might be spring before I got to ride. The weather was decent this morning - 30F, light winds and not a chance of snow. I met the regular Sunday morning riders and we did 25 miles before heading to breakfast.

We took a route that takes us to the top of a nearby dam (hightest point on chart). Thankfully we chose the easier climb to the top and got to experience a fantastic downhill. The easier climb is a couple miles of 4-5% grades. The views from the top are great. Sorry, no pictures. All the other Sunday riders are men and I really have to push it to keep up

By the time we climbed the dam and a couple of those short 12% climbs my legs were burning. How quickly we lose conditioning with just a few weeks off the bike. By the time we reached the restaurant I didn't think my legs could make the four steps at the entrance.

Hopefully the weather will be a little kinder and I can get back into shape quickly. This is the same group I'll be riding with on TOSRV and they'll show me no mercy

=============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you! I'm right there with you on the "conditioning in hiding". Hopefully the conditioning will show back up this spring!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to get the most out of your limited chances to ride.

I've had good weather the past two weekends so I rode on the road each Saturday and MTB each Sunday. I hope this pattern of crappy cold and rainy weather during the work week and nice weekends continues so I can keep on being a weekend warrior.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to find a way to get in a ride or two soon. But it keeps snowing here (here being back in Wisconsin, got in a couple of hours ago).

Snowed today, freezing rain predicted tomorrow, snow on Tuesday, etc.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you got out for a ride. I had one on Friday that was one of the most restorative I've had. I didn't know how much I needed my fix until I got home and was cheerful and happy the rest of the evening.

Our spate of rain appears to be moving eastward so the week looks lovely for squeezing in the occasion fast and furious ride. I have my sunscreen out, just in case it's warm enough to leave the arm warmers home.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I have my sunscreen out, just in case it's warm enough to leave the arm warmers home.
    I'll just be happy when all I have to wear is arm warmers
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    ... when all I have to wear is arm warmers
    That should be an interesting ride

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picture arm warmers on her avatar.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first "ride" of the year in today. This is sad,17.5 miles. About 10 miles in it starts to spit little minature snowballs, about like the frozen icecream things sold at street fairs(dots I think). At 20mph it was like being the target in a paintball tourney.

Hey Al Gore where the h*** is that global warming thing?

You know you have been off the bike too long when you get to the end of the street and find you don't have a helmet on! Guess all the winter gear made my head feel like it was there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I got my first "ride" of the year in today. This is sad,17.5 miles. About 10 miles in it starts to spit little minature snowballs, about like the frozen icecream things sold at street fairs(dots I think). At 20mph it was like being the target in a paintball tourney.

Hey Al Gore where the h*** is that global warming thing?

You know you have been off the bike too long when you get to the end of the street and find you don't have a helmet on! Guess all the winter gear made my head feel like it was there.
    I'm not too far ahead of you with miles for the year....I have a whopping 45
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing one short ride every other week might make you feel better for being on the bike, but it really won't help with conditioning for TOSRV. For that you'll have to wait till the weather improves, then get out every day. Trouble for me is, the weather doesn't improve until a couple weeks before the big event!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Doing one short ride every other week might make you feel better for being on the bike, but it really won't help with conditioning for TOSRV. For that you'll have to wait till the weather improves, then get out every day. Trouble for me is, the weather doesn't improve until a couple weeks before the big event!
    Weather generally starts improving in March around here. The best I can do when snow and ice is on the ground is use the trainer, treadmill and weight lifting. Hopefully that will keep me in good enough shape until I can get outdoors on the bike more often.

If that good weather hits on a work day I'll just have to call in sick It's almost 60F today but it's pouring down rain and they're predicting flooding. This weekend is looking good
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got out.
    Love the chart.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

BFD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheesh, I thought I was tired of the "cold" here. I couldn't get motivated over the weekend to get out and go. I believe this weekend will be better.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No riding tonight or tomorrow. Perhaps no driving either. They are forecasting 10"-12" of snow, beginning around 4-5 pm.

Should have stayed in Florida for another week.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Way to get the most out of your limited chances to ride.

I've had good weather the past two weekends so I rode on the road each Saturday and MTB each Sunday. I hope this pattern of crappy cold and rainy weather during the work week and nice weekends continues so I can keep on being a weekend warrior.
    You should be so lucky. Have to admit that Saturday would have been not too bad for riding- But I was at work in the Morning and getting the garden ready again for the high winds expected on Sunday and for the rest of the week. Got to ride Sunday in the wind- But if your forecast is anything to go by-- we have the same. My problem is that I have a lot of Yard work to do this week- In the high wind and rain. Got soaked yesterday so took in the Goretex today. That material still works. Just hope that the weekend "Good" weather carrys on.

8 pm right now and 2" of rain fell today- Mainly in my garden and the 30 mph wind is howling round the house. Roll on the weekend- cos I ain't doing evening rides in this weather.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan