Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Least expensive CF bike

Do any of you bike researchers know what the least expensive CF bike with full DuraAce is? Just wondering what the least money you could spend if you don't care what brand you buy. Inquiring minds....
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For one thing, that's kinda hard to determine if one takes into account special deals you might find on a 2007 or even 2006 closeout. I've seen brand new high end road bikes discounted by 50%.

Now I'll let someone who knows something about these bikes take over.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if it is, but the card I'll play is the BD Century Team, $1700 (no additional shipping or tax).

This will get your post going ....
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._08_carbon.htm

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are interested in the BD Motobecane Century Team, see my post regarding my purchase.

I Pulled the Trigger, and Wow!

Ride On!

-Spoke
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revolator View Post
    Don't know if it is, but the card I'll play is the BD Century Team, $1700 (no additional shipping or tax).

This will get your post going ....
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._08_carbon.htm
    Nice bike and a great value, but not quite "full Dura Ace".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is close, but needs DA cranks and brakes to fill the bill.
    But what would you want to put DA on the cheapest frame you can find?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    But what would you want to put DA on the cheapest frame you can find?
    Good question since the difference in performance between DA and Ultegra or even 105, is just about nil. Seems that if you are nitpicking the differences in the components you would in the frame even more so.

I guess there are things like finish or even having the DA name on it that feed a pride of ownership thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if money is an issue, Ultegra is great stuff.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my point of view, prestige is the only reason for a non-pro racer to choose Dura Ace over Ultegra (or Ultegra over 105 for that matter). That prestige is out the window anyway with a Motobecane or other no-name frame. Might as well save money and go with a lower but still very good component group. I would put the extra money towards a better frame before better components.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Do any of you bike researchers know what the least expensive CF bike with full DuraAce is? Just wondering what the least money you could spend if you don't care what brand you buy. Inquiring minds....
    Yeh. This makes no sense. The whole idea of buying DuraAce is show money means nothing to you.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Yeh. This makes no sense. The whole idea of buying DuraAce is show money means nothing to you.
    I test rode quite a few CF bikes last year. Not many of them had a good feel to them after riding Aluminium. In fact- that is why I bought the Boreas. Although I was looking at quality bikes-This frame and bike was the best within my budget. Then the TCR was one I had not tried and after riding the Cheap Ally OCR to the LBS- I was put on the mechanics TCR and sent out of the shop for a ride. Bought it but up against the Boreas-It is not far behind on ride quality.

I think you have the priority wrong in looking for a well specced frame with the top end drive chain. The heart of the bike is the frame. That is what is going to denote how the bike rides. Looking at the TCR range- and that is the best affordable C.F. frame that I have tried- It can start of with a lowly 105 gruppo or go up to Dure Ace if you want. Same frame- different gruppo and wheels- but basically the same bike. And they don't ride much differently either. There will be a difference in parts spedded to the frame the higher up you go and with a correponding loss in weight - but in ridability- there is not much difference on the models. Now within the frame- Even Giant cater for the Masses with the C.F. framed OCR. That was the frame I tried last year and it did nothing for me.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get CF frames on scambay for under $600 but who knows if they are any good. You can buy a Diamond Back Podium CF which weighs over 20 pounds!!!! So my advice is start with some research on what frame you really want and go from there.

Point being even with a Dura Ace group a CF bike is not necessarly a great ride.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grampster,

You do know that if anyone is caught riding a DuraAce equipped bike with Florsheim shoes, that the bike is confiscated, right?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post