Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rant about joggers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rant about joggers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 11:24 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^It's the reason I don't ride with music, if I can't hear overtaking traffic I may as well just go throw myself under some wheels and be done with it.^^^ Music and activity need to be somewhere you can be safe from others.
Old 02-04-08, 11:31 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I even get the regular jogger when riding outside on the street, as you know they run against traffic so they are on the bike lane. What do bothers me is when they stay exactly in the middle of the bike lane knowing there is heavy traffic making it literally impossible to pass by him.

I dont know if they like to play chicken or are just blind and cant see the big bike logo on the asphalt...

Last edited by mazpr; 02-04-08 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 11:49 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Ever notice how much bicycle riders resemble car drivers when we get on a bike path or MUP?

I don't think that's a fair comment. On normal roads we have the right to share with motor vehicles, and expect them to accomodate us. On multi-use paths we have to share with pedestrians and we must accomodate them. However, when it comes to a sidewalk, a bike lane, or a freeway, we each have our own dedicated space, and inappropriate users need to stay out of it.
Old 02-04-08, 11:54 AM
BFD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you, John E. On those days in the summer along 101, Holy Freakin Circus!

What should we do, perhaps a letter to the Cities Of suggeting they mandate something? Maybe they'll paint a dividing line and seperate us? I'll sign a letter. Perhaps it'll take a crash or a fight to get something changed out there.
Old 02-04-08, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I don't think that's a fair comment. On normal roads we have the right to share with motor vehicles, and expect them to accomodate us. On multi-use paths we have to share with pedestrians and we must accomodate them. However, when it comes to a sidewalk, a bike lane, or a freeway, we each have our own dedicated space, and inappropriate users need to stay out of it.
Do we know that joggers are not allowed on the lane in question? Is there any indication that joggers are specifically dis-allowed there? Just curious.
Old 02-04-08, 12:42 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Denny Koll
Skaters are fine if they know what they are doing. It's the weekend wobblers that create the danger.
Glad someone took up for skaters a bit. I used to speed skate some multi-use trails with the wife. I use a helmet mounted mirror biking or skating so no prob. We would just stop pushing off for a couple seconds enuf for the faster cyclist to go by, then resume skating. I would look over my shoulder just as the cyclist caught up so he knows I see him, give a little wave of my hand to motion him to go by.

We would skate along between 15-19 mph, so most of our problems were not cyclist related anyway. Three dog leashes across the path makes for interesting skating tho!
Old 02-04-08, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Nice rant.

I like the part about cyclists wearing lycra head-to-toe riding 12 miles per hour. I like to pass them on my Pugsley wearing jeans and hiking boots after yelling "On your left, ladies!" regardless of their gender.

Nothing against lycra shorts really, but why wear a skin-tight jersey displaying the logos of all the companies that will never sponsor them on a bike path crawling along at 12 mph?
You are right on, the Minuteman trail is one of the worst I have ever been on in terms of rude, disrespectful novices, stroller pushers, bladers etc, etc etc. enjoyed t h craigs list rant.
Old 02-04-08, 01:04 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
I am sympathetic. But, the question is. By ordinance does Bike Path mean Bikes only. ?
It's different all over the place. In my state, it just means bikes have the right of way. No one, not pedestrians or cyclists know the rule.

Originally Posted by cooker
Not really. It varies all over the place. There are plenty of places where it is legal to ride bikes on the sidewalk. And to walk and drive cars in a bike lane. And some places it is legal to ride a bike on the freeway. People move around and think the laws apply eveywhere, they don't. It's a big world out there.

Use google to see laws and path rules in different locations. Most are on line.
Old 02-04-08, 01:10 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those retractable leashes are of Satan and His Blues Band.
Old 02-04-08, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer

I use short leashes around bikes or cars, bright orange with reflective tape..................... not
black !!!!!!! I walk on the grass next to the bike path, not the pavement.

why do they make any dog leashes black ?? !!
Old 02-04-08, 01:50 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you've posted it before 2manybikes, but what head light is shining in your sig?
Old 02-04-08, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The worst place on my ride is 101 in Carlsbad. There is a nice 8 ft. wide sidewalk, and a bike lane. The traffic is typically going 40 to 50 mph, though the speed limit is 35. Even though there is plenty of room, joggers typically run in the bike lane, forcing bicyclists into the traffic.
Old 02-04-08, 03:35 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's just rude on such a road. Heisman time!!!!
Old 02-04-08, 04:47 PM

I know you've posted it before 2manybikes, but what head light is shining in your sig?
Lupine Edison 10
500 lumens 8 hours
900 lumens. 5 hours
Old 02-04-08, 05:49 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If every biker would start screaching "ON YOUR LEFT" constantly, starting about 150 feet behind them, and continue for 100 feet ahead of them, they'd get so sick of it they'd get on the pedestrian path....
Old 02-04-08, 09:27 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have it on good authority that Satan is in a pop country band. Blues is the soundtrack in heaven.
Old 02-06-08, 10:31 PM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Runners on the Path

Hey guys chill. I love to bike and run. Try running sometimes it can be fun and can make you a better biker. Runners see bikers go by with double wide butts and $3000.00 bikes and wonder why bother. The guys who come buy on beaters are usually thought of as rehab bikers who got their license taken away by the court. There's room for all with a little courtesy and a sense of humor.
Old 02-07-08, 07:14 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Jogger or walker problems?

30 miles of fun!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-07-08 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Glad I found this string early! My gift to you - the best "Bike Path" rant EVER!
Laughter is the best medicine sometimes. Check it out:
https://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=579261
From the article: "Pedestrians literally . . . clog the path like low density lipo-proteins in bacon fueled arteries."

Great simile. I'll use it in my English class today.
Old 02-07-08, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMan
Hey guys chill. I love to bike and run. Try running sometimes it can be fun and can make you a better biker. Runners see bikers go by with double wide butts and $3000.00 bikes and wonder why bother. The guys who come buy on beaters are usually thought of as rehab bikers who got their license taken away by the court. There's room for all with a little courtesy and a sense of humor.
Hmmm. Interesting set of assumptions here. Many folks here have tried running and some switched to cycling because running was beating up their knees, hips, or others parts of their bodies. I suspect you are also assuming that cycling is primarily a fitness activity, or the width of someone's backside wouldn't be an issue. For some fitness is a possible side effect of riding, but it's not the primary reason they ride. And what's with the "rehab bikers" comment? In the area where I live there are a lot of students, messengers, connoisseurs of older bikes (PastorBob, a former frequent contributor to this forum comes to mind), and others who ride what might be called "beaters". Yes, I did read your last line, and with that I wholeheartedly agree. I even like the new Allstate Insurance commerical that is airing in my area right now. The announcers says that it's time we started treating others like they were guests in our homes and not something in our way.
Old 02-07-08, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMan
Agree, but all too often the courtesy is one way. It is much easier for a jogger to take a step sideways off the path for 3 steps than for the cyclist to swerve, possibly into traffic, at a much higher speed.
Maybe we should all sign up on some jogger forums and flood them with all these posts ?
Old 02-07-08, 07:58 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I deal with joggers in the bike lane all of the time and really don't have a problem with it. I will just move into the car lane for the few feet and seconds it takes me to pass them. There is one guy though who for some reason wants me to pass him on the inside and always moves into the car lane which I would prefer he didn't do. Also I find a lot of early morning or late evening joggers don't wear reflective clothing or use a blinky which makes them very hard to see. I do not ride MUPs.

2013 Noah RS
Old 02-07-08, 08:33 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always admire them too much to want them to move. They're in a zone like I'm not. If I was* "in the zone" I'd be going too fast for them to move out of the way, or I'd be so out of breath I wouldn't have enough energy to think about the issue.
Old 02-07-08, 09:09 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaco
The worst place on my ride is 101 in Carlsbad. There is a nice 8 ft. wide sidewalk, and a bike lane. The traffic is typically going 40 to 50 mph, though the speed limit is 35. Even though there is plenty of room, joggers typically run in the bike lane, forcing bicyclists into the traffic.
California does have a mandatory sidepath law for pedestrians, including the explicit provision that they are to eschew a bike lane in favor of a sidewalk, wherever one is provided.

You, BFD, and I need to get together. I frequent Pacific Coast Highway 101 very early on many weekend mornings and some weekday mornings. My brown Bianchi, red-with-white Capo, and red-white-and-blue mountain bike are all pretty distinctive.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-07-08, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Jamis crosscountry single speed with slicks; Schwin Traveller fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had that many problems with joggers on MUPs, and I never see them in the bike lanes. Why would a jogger possibly want to be there? That seems way too risky to me. Both bikes and cars do deal with? I'll pass on that.

As far as joggers and skaters on MUPs, I'm okay with them. I hate when they have their earbuds in, but that's about it. I really don't have a problem with them when I'm biking with my dog. People get out of the way fast when they have a decent sized dog riding thier heels. It's kinda fun when they are totally oblivious, in the middle of the path, and get the s**t scared out of them when they realize we're right behind them. Or go flying past them. I'm really glad my dog is a good bike dog, though. Could get hairy otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.