Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "Round Lake Erie"

    I'm about to order the book "Round Lake Erie" from the Cyclo Tours website. Before I do, does anyone else know a good source for cycling around Lake Erie? We're planning to do the trip in late August or early September. We have the Adventure Cycling maps but I want additional information about the tour.

    Any good books on this trip?




    http://www.cyclotour.com/Lake%20Erie.htm
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chili, NY
    My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the website: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

    Many postings here about all sorts of Tours. I find that some of these are remarkable in the detail and beautiful also with the added pics.

    One example is here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...ie&context=all

    Hope that helps!
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

  3. #3
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,568
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about maps or other sources, but Harvey Botzman, owner of CycloTours and author of 'Round Lake Erie is a member of my club. I've ridden with him many times. He donates books for club prizes and I won 'Round Lake Erie, the 2004 2nd edition.

    The book is incredibly detailed. For each section, (sometimes as little as a couple of miles) there is a map, cue-sheet (showing both clockwise and counterclockwise mileage) and something about that part of the ride. Attractions, lodging and comments like, "Wow! What an intersection!" come to mind. It's also filled with useful tips, like how and where to cross the border with your bike. Often, there are route alternatives given.

    Harvey has his own ideas about typographical conventions, and there are sections I wish had a little more white-space, although I understand the need to keep it small and light. Otherwise, it seems to be a perfectly serviceable companion for the trip.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I don't know about maps or other sources, but Harvey Botzman, owner of CycloTours and author of 'Round Lake Erie is a member of my club. I've ridden with him many times. He donates books for club prizes and I won 'Round Lake Erie, the 2004 2nd edition.

    The book is incredibly detailed. For each section, (sometimes as little as a couple of miles) there is a map, cue-sheet (showing both clockwise and counterclockwise mileage) and something about that part of the ride. Attractions, lodging and comments like, "Wow! What an intersection!" come to mind. It's also filled with useful tips, like how and where to cross the border with your bike. Often, there are route alternatives given.

    Harvey has his own ideas about typographical conventions, and there are sections I wish had a little more white-space, although I understand the need to keep it small and light. Otherwise, it seems to be a perfectly serviceable companion for the trip.
    Thanks. The book sounds like it has the type of information I'm hunting.

    We shouldn't have a problem crossing the border as we have a van and trailer to haul everything. A couple of the rider's non-cycling wives have volunteered to SAG for us.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  5. #5
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried for years to cycle across Erie from my beach to London Ontario with little success.You are wise to cycle around Lake Erie(Tour de Erie).There are alternate backroads off the tour route.The Lorain County Wheelmen Bike Club cycle around this area(Lorain,Huron,Sandusky) frequently.
    The most dangerous part is the bike lane along Lake rd. from Lakewood to Vermillion.Avoid this streech during rush hour.Bike lanes a not comprehended in Ohio yet.
    During the summer,"Peddle to the Point" cyclists from greater Cleveland take this route to Cedar Point,(a place I avoid).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many miles is an entire trip around Lake Eire? Gotta be a windy ride but mostly flat one.

  7. #7
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,568
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the route in Harvey's book, 755.6 miles, 1,176.5 km.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  8. #8
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats about right,Erie is aprox 300mi.long x 35mi.wide at Cleveland.
    Just shy of a weekend spin for a couple of geezers.
    During the summer the prevailing wind is out of the W to SW.

  9. #9
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After that you can come up and circle Lake Michigan. A bit over 1300 miles.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

    There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

  10. #10
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    After that you can come up and circle Lake Michigan. A bit over 1300 miles.
    Maybe in 2010 This year it's Lake Erie, next year I'm hoping it's England and 2010 is still open.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  11. #11
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are circling England in 2009?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

    There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

  12. #12
    2 soon old, 2 late smart Bluetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Waterford ST-22, Bianchi Strada
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the summer,"Peddle to the Point" cyclists from greater Cleveland take this route to Cedar Point,(a place I avoid).[/QUOTE]


    What do the cyclists have to sell between Cleveland & Sandusky?

  13. #13
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetail View Post
    During the summer,"Peddle to the Point" cyclists from greater Cleveland take this route to Cedar Point,(a place I avoid).

    What do the cyclists have to sell between Cleveland & Sandusky?[/QUOTE]

    ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzinggggggg..ok.....pedal.
    None the less,watch yourself on Lake/Cleveland road this summer.

  14. #14
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Maybe in 2010 This year it's Lake Erie, next year I'm hoping it's England and 2010 is still open.
    Next year in England?- Bring your waterproofs

    Plenty of Cycle friendly Places to go in the UK- but Don't be fooled by all that Guff about Good riding terrain. It is either Hilly or Hilly or Mountainous. Unless you want London- Then it is just expensive. Want a good peacefull easy ride- then it is Holland.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  15. #15
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Next year in England?- Bring your waterproofs

    Plenty of Cycle friendly Places to go in the UK- but Don't be fooled by all that Guff about Good riding terrain. It is either Hilly or Hilly or Mountainous. Unless you want London- Then it is just expensive. Want a good peacefull easy ride- then it is Holland.
    I'm hoping to visit a girl friend in London and do some hiking and sightseeing with her. Afterward I want to spend a couple days cycling. She doesn't ride a bike
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  16. #16
    Senior Member OH306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if the Adventure Cycling route takes you along Rt. 20 in Ashtabula and Lake county? I would stay off 20 due to heavy traffic. There are more scenic, less dangerous routes that would take you along the lake shore. A stop at Headlands State Park for a dip in the lake may cool you off as well. Will your trip be clockwise around the lake?

  17. #17
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH306 View Post
    I'm wondering if the Adventure Cycling route takes you along Rt. 20 in Ashtabula and Lake county? I would stay off 20 due to heavy traffic. There are more scenic, less dangerous routes that would take you along the lake shore. A stop at Headlands State Park for a dip in the lake may cool you off as well. Will your trip be clockwise around the lake?
    We'll be doing the route clockwise.

    My friend has the Adventure Cycling maps so I don't know what their route is in that area. The "Round Lake Erie" book arrived today and it shows two routes around Ashtabula. One is Rt. 20 and the other is Lake Road (OH 531). I believe the XOBA route last year did the Lake Road near Ashtabula. I do remember being on Rt. 20 a few times and it was very busy.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •