Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did 72 today....spokes, that is...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 11:01 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Laced up my first set of wheels, and it was REALLY enjoyable. I like* wheel building a lot. It's very suited to my nature...I like picky, precise things that make you almost meditate while you're doing them. I scratched my rims a bit, because we did the technique where you load up all the spokes first, and I had a hard time handling them.

They had drills there with special bits that put each nipple on the exact same amount. Anyone know where I can get a bit like this? It was really nice.

I like the campy hubs I was using because there was no label to line up!

Anyway, I was the only one that didn't make a mistake, so I was very proud.

Tomorrow we true them.
Old 02-19-08, 05:13 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
They had drills there with special bits that put each nipple on the exact same amount. Anyone know where I can get a bit like this? It was really nice.
I use a non-powered nipple driver that looks like a screwdriver that has an "S" curve in it. I stick my left thumbnail in the last spoke thread and spin the nipple until it stops against my thumbnail. I don't think that it's as fast as the powered nipple drivers but the tool is cheaper to buy and I feel like I have better control over it.
Old 02-19-08, 06:02 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
At last you are being initiated into the great mysteries of wheelbuilding. After you have completed your first set of wheels, you will be given the secret handshake and the smug attitude mask....

Now you must begin picking through Ebay and Craiglist posts to find suitable hubs and rims. The N+1 rule may apply to wheels just like it does to bicycles.
Old 02-19-08, 06:18 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
And just like with building bicycles, it is discouraging to find that the parts generally cost more than the whole.
Old 02-19-08, 06:40 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I woke up today wondering if I should bite the bullet and turn my formal library into a bike shop.

I sleep in the smallest bedroom of my house...10x12. the only thing in there is a bed. I have a tuckunder garage; the other rooms are over the garage and get cold in the winter.

My main bedroom is a "textile" room. It's pet free so I don't get dog/cat hair all over my clothes. I keep linens and towels in there in addition to my clothes. I sew in there.

The third bedroom is 4 big bookshelves and a large writing desk. It's very pretty. I like it. But I don't actually read in there, and the shelves have slowly gone from holding books to holding camera/computer stuff. I have a lot of video and computer equipment. It's become the storage space for my studio in the basement an all the books have gone up north or down south. I work from home.

Anyway... I never use my living room or dining room, so I may repurpose those into something more usable and give up my library. I have a huge roll-top desk big enough to build wheels on. The only thing I'm worried about is screwing up my hardwood floors. But it would be a nice workroom at 16x12.

My house will be really ugly, though, with a bike room and a giant closet room and a tiny room with a bed in it.
Old 02-19-08, 07:08 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My house will be really ugly, though, with a bike room and a giant closet room and a tiny room with a bed in it.
Au contraire, ma cher. Beauty is as beauty does.
Old 02-19-08, 07:48 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Y'know, as I get older, it becomes all about family, friends, dogs, and bikes. May as well go with the flow.

Hey! Waitaminute. I just started riding again after a long haitus. What have you people done to me**********???

Last edited by solveg; 02-19-08 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-19-08, 10:10 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Waitaminute. I just started riding again after a long haitus. What have you people done to me**********???
That's how cults work, silly girl. Now you are ours!

MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!
Old 02-19-08, 10:31 AM

I sleep in the smallest bedroom of my house...10x12. the only thing in there is a bed. I have a tuckunder garage; the other rooms are over the garage and get cold in the winter.
Our condo has a tuck under garage beneath the kitchen. Last fall we replaced our garage door with one that is much better insulated. It has made a world of difference in the temperature of the kitchen floor.

Incidentally, my bicycle shop is in front of the garage. That's a great location for the bike shop but it leaves the garage a little bit short. That was the deciding factor in our purchase of a Honda Element because it's short enough to fit our garage but big enough to fit our tandem inside the car.
Old 02-19-08, 02:00 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmmm. I have room in the front of my garage, too, but I'd have to lose my big shelves that run the span.

which means that if I get a new garage door and a new shed in the yard, I could do that.

Did you notice a difference in your heating bills with the new door?

Edit: OR...as long as I would have to build a shed....I could make a bike shed.... hmmmm. options, options.
Old 02-19-08, 03:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hmmmm. I have room in the front of my garage, too, but I'd have to lose my big shelves that run the span.

which means that if I get a new garage door and a new shed in the yard, I could do that.

Edit: OR...as long as I would have to build a shed....I could make a bike shed.... hmmmm. options, options.
How big is the yard?

Over here we have two types of house owners. Those that want a bigger garden and those that want a cabbage patch. For some reason- they each seem to live in the wrong type of house. I have just under 1/4 of an Acre- if that measurement means anything to you. Sensible size but I would like more. Currently it is big enough for a bike shed- but Whatever size you get on sheds- its is always too small. Mine is 10ft wide and that fits the space I have in that corner. It is 16ft long and I thought would be big enough. It isn't.

I do believe your materials (Lumber?) are cheaper over there but is it worth building your own? I could have built for about the same price as I bought and It arrived in sections and a month later it was up. If I were to have built it- It would have been a year before it would have been ready for use. Only advantage would have been that it would have been 12 ft wide and 24 ft long.

So measure out the yard and buy a shed to fill it. That way you might be able to get the bike in after the redundant gardening tools and the mower.

The only other option would have been to use the garage- but the wife uses that aswell. all those useless things are kept in there like the hoover- the ironing board and the new swimming pool that is this years project in the garden.

Whatever you choose to keep the bikes in- 10 x16 is about the minimum size to get if you want to work on the bikes in there aswell. Bigger would be better- but much bigger and you can move the bed in there and work on the bikes in the house in comfort and warmth.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-19-08, 03:41 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a bit over a quarter acre. I don't use it. Seriously. I pay a guy to mow it and I think I only stepped on the grass to trim some hedges and take some bike photos. I have no gardens, and few trees. It's boring, but I'm not here enough in the growing season to take care of anything. I figure blank but tended is better than overgrown good intentions and weed gardens.

Sheds are expensive. I really could get away with just a tiny one to put the snowblower, lawn mower and lawn stuff in that is against the front of my garage.

I think I'll have to work this out on graph paper and see what's doable. In winter up here, I wouldn't want to work in the garage or* in a shed, so it may not be practical at all. the garage maintains at around 40 degrees...I don't know how much better it would be with a new garage door.
Old 02-19-08, 04:07 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I was very pleased to read that you built 36-spoke wheels, which make far more engineering sense that today's fashionable paired-spokers, 20-spokers, etc.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-19-08, 04:17 PM
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Laced up my first set of wheels, and it was REALLY enjoyable. I like* wheel building a lot. It's very suited to my nature...I like picky, precise things that make you almost meditate while you're doing them. I scratched my rims a bit, because we did the technique where you load up all the spokes first, and I had a hard time handling them.

I like the campy hubs I was using because there was no label to line up!

Anyway, I was the only one that didn't make a mistake, so I was very proud.

Tomorrow we true them.
Hey well done Solveg

The nice thing about working on bicycles inside the house is that it's nice and snuggly warm in Winter and the kitchen is real close when it's time to make a cup of tea (which is anytime). All I did this Winter past was lay down sheets of corrogated cardboard on the floor on top of a big dropcloth and I had no problems at all and didn't make a mess of the floor.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 02-19-08, 04:24 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I was very pleased to read that you built 36-spoke wheels, which make far more engineering sense that today's fashionable paired-spokers, 20-spokers, etc.
I agree!

Sianelle: Yeah... the inside the house thing does seem the most comfy. It just seems so radical to give up the prettiest room in the house for it.
Old 02-19-08, 04:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not going to follow your lead. I'm terrible at repetitive fine motor skill work. Can't imagine how much I'd be bouncing off of walls after I'd completed installing 27 spokes and still had 45 to go.

But I certainly applaud your accomplishment, Solveg.

Do you plan to develop another bicycle repair/build skill?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-19-08, 04:53 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I'm not going to follow your lead. I'm terrible at repetitive fine motor skill work. Can't imagine how much I'd be bouncing off of walls after I'd completed installing 27 spokes and still had 45 to go.

But I certainly applaud your accomplishment, Solveg.

Do you plan to develop another bicycle repair/build skill?
Yes! But first I have to practice what I know. I know just enough about bicycle mechanics to be dangerous. But I figure if I still like tinkering when I'm 55, I'd like to take a frame making class.

But, in the near future, I'm going to decoupage a bike!

Tom, you'd be surprised at how fast it goes. Lacing the wheel took about 30 minutes for the second one, longer for the first because I kept double checking myself.

I'll let you know how long truing takes. But Sheldon Brown says a wheel builder can do a complete wheel in about an hour, which matches up with the low cost of getting one made.
Old 02-19-08, 05:02 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, done!

Now just learn welding and painting and you can do anything!

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-19-08, 05:13 PM

Funny you should ask. The answer to that question is a longer story than you probably want to hear. The short answer is "No, but it's not the door's fault."
Old 02-19-08, 05:26 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I woke up today wondering if I should bite the bullet and turn my formal library into a bike shop.

My main bedroom is a "textile" room. It's pet free so I don't get dog/cat hair all over my clothes. I keep linens and towels in there in addition to my clothes. I sew in there.

The third bedroom is 4 big bookshelves and a large writing desk. It's very pretty. I like it. But I don't actually read in there, and the shelves have slowly gone from holding books to holding camera/computer stuff. I have a lot of video and computer equipment. It's become the storage space for my studio in the basement an all the books have gone up north or down south. I work from home.

Anyway... I never use my living room or dining room, so I may repurpose those into something more usable and give up my library. I have a huge roll-top desk big enough to build wheels on. The only thing I'm worried about is screwing up my hardwood floors. But it would be a nice workroom at 16x12.

Our real smallest bedroom is only big enough for say a crib and chiffarobe or some such. It's my computer, library, stereo room, and reading room. It's a frickin' mess so I only do computer from there.

Biggest BR is Creative Quilter and Choral Music World Headquarters. Living room is for music and flowers, dining room is where the table is and the mail gets answered, adn the sun room is the Auxiliary bike shop. It has a big stereo, the biggest TV, a sofa, the trainer, and Mrs Road Fan's bike always in "take me for a ride condition." it also has a turntable on which are all the small tools needed for bike fitting. We usually eat here, read and watch TV.

The basement has the Main bike shop - service stand, toolboxes, the C&V Storage Vault with parts, bikes, booze, extra wheels, parts needing to be shipped, parts needing to be installed. fasteners for parts, broken fasterners for parts, litter box, laundry, and cat food. It also has most of my parents' possessions in it. 50 + life!

Oh, yeah, wheels! If I shove aside all the extra wheels in teh C&V Storage Vault, I find a truing stand!!

I need a grinding wheel, tool wall, and a well-lit workbench.

Road Fan
Old 02-19-08, 10:23 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Road Fan, that sounds like a great house!

I had something odd happen with my wheel tonight.

I thought I did a really good job. There was virtually no dish change side to side (less than 1 mm), the roundness and true looked beautiful. Then we put the tensiometer on it, and all the spokes were 13 on one side and all the spokes on the other side were 14.

I don't know how to fix it without screwing up my dish.

campy centaur hub, Velocity aerohead rims, double butted spokes.
Old 02-20-08, 06:10 AM
Boomer

If you check, you may find that there is no requirement for the spokes to have similar tension from side to side. The Park Tools spec is +/- 20% from the average of the side you are checking. Most wheelbuilders will better the 20% mark, but beyond that, trueness and dish are what's important.

I assume that since you expected the same tension on each side that you are working on a front, non-disc wheel with equal flange spacing each side of center and that you are not using an OCR rim..........

All you non wheel builders can avert you view while we practice in the secret tongue.
Old 02-20-08, 06:35 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it is an OCR wheel. Does that mean "Off Center Receivers" or something like that?

Each nipple hole in the wheel is slightly off center in a staggered pattern. One barely to the left and one barely to the right. They are Velocity Aeroheads with Campy Centaur hubs and double butted spokes.

But I think I may have solved the problem in my sleep. I won't be able to tell until I get my own truing stand.

Right from the beginning, I was confused because the wheel sat in the stand asymmetrically. I asked about it, but it looked OK to her. It's a Park TS-2 or whatever that's called, and I thought it was supposed to be self-centering.

Anyway, she kind of just said it was OK and I could turn my wheel around a lot to just make sure.

Then, as I was working on the roundness, I noticed that the little guides at the bottom didn't line up with the edge of the rim perfectly. The left side would consistently hit the rim before the right side. I asked again if this was normal, and she said because this was a coop, the equipment could be banged up a little or something, and that, once again, if I just made sure to turn the wheel over I would be OK.

This made sense, as I've read that some people true wheels in bikes and would be working in a less precise environment than I was.

So I flipped my wheel a lot, and I was really happy with it until the end with the tensiometer.

It has now occurred to me that the rim* could be off. Maybe there was some machining error which made one side a tad longer and maybe that translated to different spoke tension????

Although, as I'm looking at the wheel, I don't see how the lip of the wheel would impact the spoke tension. So I guess I better go back to sleep and figure out something new.
Old 02-20-08, 06:49 AM
Boomer

OCR=Off center rim. To be used for rear wheel in some applications. The spoke holes would be spaced around a centerline slightly toward one side of the rim. You would position that offset centerline toward the non drive side of the wheel to improve the geometry of the spoke/rim/hub so as not to have too much dishing on the drive side. This is only available from some manufacturers and is one of those theories that is accepted by some and not by others.
Old 02-20-08, 07:01 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'know, as I get older, it becomes all about family, friends, dogs, and bikes. May as well go with the flow.

Substitute cat for dog and I could have written that line

My living and dining rooms are still intact but the family room is now a multi-purpose room. The weight bench and other exercise equipment are tucked behind the sofa and sofa table. The large chair has been shoved aside to make room for the bike and trainer. The pass-thru to the kitchen makes a handy place for setting water bottles and other items I might want while riding the trainer.

Houses are for living.....use it the way you want!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.