Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheldon Brown

I know many on this forum choose not to frequent the road forum, but news of Sheldon's passing was posted there earlier today.

R.I.P. Sheldon Brown

Just thought you should know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. According to Harris Cyclery,

"Dear Harris Cyclery friends and customers,
    It is with heavy hearts that we convey to you the news that Sheldon Brown has passed away. Our thoughts go out to his family at this time. The cycling community has lost one of it's most passionate members."

His email is captBike@sheldonbrown.com. I'm not sure if that is the best way to send your condolences.

He is going to be very missed. I had heard that he was sick and emailed him last summer. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Harris Cyclery
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Sheldon, As a new cyclist I have learned a huge amount from his website
    Jamis Satellite 08.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sheldon Brown was one of the great figures and characters of the bicycling world. I'm going to miss you Sheldon.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sad news. I had followed the downturn in his health, but had hoped that he would find a path to improvement. He was too young and too vibrant to have suffered the way that he did. Life is never about being fair, but if it had been, he would have had another 25-30 years in good health.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many of us learned, some always knew, and others were unfortunate not to know, Sheldon was a legitimate character, passionate advocate of cycling, incredible storehouse of knowledge, and a very decent human being. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Damn, the cycling community has indeed lost one of its best. I am going to mourn this loss and honor him with a period of silence. This shall be my last post for today. Sheldon, I hope you are riding to a place where the roads are always smooth and the wind is always at your back.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will certainly miss him. He was an inspiration to me.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sad news.

His website was a wonderful place to learn about anything related to biking. I occasionally checked his journal where he posted about his struggles with his health.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am saddened by this news. From what I could tell, Sheldon was a giant in the cycling community. He will be deeply missed.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad news.
    Sheldon's leaves an incredible wealth of cycling knowledge. All of us owe him so much.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an amazing guy. He'll be missed.

And an inspiration to 50+'s. Sheldon turned 50 in 1994, which (I think) was the year that the first widely usable web browser became available. But go to the web today, do a search on almost any mechanically oriented bicyling question, and Sheldon's site surfaces at the top of search results. I don't know much about Sheldon's work before the Internet, but clearly in the Internet age he appears to play in almost any discussion about bicycle mechanics. So here's a guy who took a lifetime of knowledge and passion -- along comes a new technology -- and he totally nails it. He leaves behind a legion of fans and a important body of work.

Condolences to his friends and family --

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually got some responses from him just a few days ago to a question I posted on the Bike Mechanics forum concerning my Trek 820 project. And his post included a notice about a community Gilbert and Sullivan operetta production he was appearing in. So he wasn't letting his illness stop him from enjoying life!

And like untold others, his articles on darn near anything bike related have been invaluable to me.

There's a "bikes Sheldon helped you with" thread on the Mechanics forum; at this posting it's over 4 pages.

I found out via a posting on Detroit Craigslist, of all things.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am stunned, I just saw this post. I want to scream but I'm going to cry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon responded to my most stupid questions. A true teacher if there ever was one. The first time he and I had a kind of web based conversation was about my Centurion rebuild, I was blown away that such a legend would take the time to try to set me right about my work. He answered my dumb question about a Shimano hub last week.

Thanks and RIP. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In deep homage to him, I'll paraphrase his signature lines. . .

I'm Billy (Wiping Away a Tear) Bones.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so, so sad. I knew he was sick, but it seemed like such a slow thing that I kind of stopped worrying about him.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accessed his on-line information a number of times, but never asked him a question, via email or on a forum. Nor have I ever read a BF post by him, as I only look in on this forum, and then occasional on the recreation and recumbent forums and he didn't post in any of these three.

I figured he was too busy and was focused on getting healthy, so I never "bothered" him. Now I kinda wish I had at least once.

If anyone hears of a memorial being started, for his family or his favorite charity, I would appreciate it if that were posted here.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sad.
    Goodbye, Captain Bike. You stomped terra.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a terrible loss. It was always such a treat to have Sheldon pop into a thread and answer one of your questions, and it happened fairly often.
    From Sheldon's site:
    "My "Panache" is a plastic eagle which probably began life at the top of a small flag pole. It is a road find. It is held on to my old Bell Image by a plastic zip tie.

This is a marvelous conversation piece, and has broken the ice on a great many contacts with strangers. Someone on the 'net once said he thought it was cool, but that he could never do something like that, 'cause he still cared what people thought of him. Well, I too care what people think of me! I hope people will think that I am:

* Independent minded.
    * Original.
    * A person with a sense of humor.
    * Somebody who doesn't take himself too seriously. "

What a class act.
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 02-04-08 at 10:17 PM.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well put -- class act indeed. Rest well, my friend. I am missing you already...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When business travel took me to Boston in July 2003, I took the commuter rail ride out to West Newton to meet Sheldon at Harris Cyclery. He was as gracious and helpful in the flesh as he was on the Internet. I will miss him, and I can only offer my heartfelt condolences to his wife, Harriet Fell, and their two adult children, as well as the entire gang at Harris.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow....his helpful insights and good humor will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall many times Sheldon would post to a thread and others were in awe, it's like what else needs to be said here, except "Thank you oh master" He was completely unselfish, sharing his knowledge and expertise for the good of all the cycle community.

He will be sorely missed, but his work will live on.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an awful silence is the only noise that is made when giants fall.

Thanks, Sheldon for your words of wisdom, for passing on your boundless knowledge and for showing me how to build a wheel that starts and stays round and true.

The cycling world is only beginning to understand the loneliness of your absence.

May your family find comfort and peace in the coming days.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon rightfully earned a great deal of respect and admiration from the cycling community. His site contains info not easily found anywhere else, and he was very helpful in offering advice when someone would need it. I would have liked to have met him, seemed to be quite a character. He will be missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast