Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: OT: Terrierman

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Terrierman

Terrierman, you must be revving up for dog season, so we probably will be hearing less from you for a while. Keep us in the loop! What's going on? You had puppies a while back...did you keep one? What's your life like right now?

My dogs are still too young to do anything this year, but it's there's nothing like looking forward to the season when the world outside is encased in ice. If nothing else, I love traveling around the country hanging out with my dog friends.

I spent all last weekend in a seminar about reading dog body language and one of the speakers was a famous k9 trainer. Got to see a lot of working video that was very cool. The previous day was by someone with working border collies, and that was another whole area where I hadn't ever observed the sport. Fascinating. Berners herd, but the committment to the sport is really intense, requiring driving out into the country at least 3 times a week. Just can't do it.

My Berner is 2 right now and apparently thinks I'm a lousy trainer. Whenever my timing is slow or I give mixed signals, she tells me off!

Herding and tracking...both saved for retirement! Well, off to 4 hours of training!
    Last edited by solveg; 02-05-08 at 07:40 AM.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.

Chilly Pig and Bella.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clearly we will be accepting no more cat name advice from the likes of you!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 18 year old cat named ***** Gato, too!

The asterisks bleep out a perfectly acceptable word for cat. It's the name of the cat in the Speedy Gonzalez cartoons.
    Last edited by solveg; 02-07-08 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Solveg:

You're right, I've been pretty busy with dogging lately. I'm in the process of becoming a sanctioned working judge and that involves a fair amount of time and travel. I spent last weekend in Ohio (flew into and out of the Mistake on the Lake) and a couple of weekends before that in Kansas. I also built storage shelving in our club trailer one weekend, so not a lot of down time. It has been too cold for much comfortable riding, and I hate a trainer too much to get on.

We actually kept a pup out of both of the last two litters we bred, they are two completely different dogs (both males). One that we had very high hopes for only had one testicle descend, which is a very serious flaw that will preclude registration and will ultimately see him neutered after he reaches maturity. Too bad as he is otherwise a very very nice Russell. The other male did really well in the puppy conformation classes last fall, we're hopeful that he will continue to be a winner as an older puppy and as an adult. We were hopeful that he would also become a top performance dog, which he definitely has the breeding to do. But so far, though enthusiastic, he's just not competing at the top levels with other dogs his age (limited exposure only!). Unless that changes, as an adult he will definitely be middle of the pack. But who knows what he will do in that area as he matures? Both of the young boys are showing all the right signs of becoming proper working terriers, which is the most important aspect of our breeding program, so overall, I'm very happy with them.

One very exciting thing is coming up too. Lovey and I are leaving 2/14 for ten days in the UK. We'll be fox hunting several days, taking in some horse racing, eating in some nice pubs, doing a little sight seeing and relaxing, and may even make it to Normandy, time and weather permitting. It's a great country, we're really looking forward to being there again.

So if you don't see me or hear from me for a while, don't worry, there are no problems going on here at all. When I get back, riding season will be on again, which will be a good thing. We also have a wedding at our house on June 7. Lots of preparations between now and then. That will be a lot of fun, but a lot of work too.

Thanks for thinking of me.

P.S. Did you happen to watch the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge a couple of weeks ago? We took second in Jack Russell Racing.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solveg, those are pretty dogs!

T-Man, I watched a portion of the Purina event, but didn't see the Jack Russells. My sister has a Jack Russell that goes everywhere that she goes.

The UK eh? I've never been there, but would like to go someday. I doubt this is the height of their tourist season.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A testicle that doesn't drop is a heartbreaker, but not as bad as things like hip dysplasia. At least it's not affecting your breeding program!

How exciting about the Incredible Dog Challenge! Comcast and Tivo have been at war with each other, so I haven't had cable for about a month now! I'll check and see if they're replaying it.

Judging will be a riot! You'll be hosted and toasted all over the country and make so many new friends! Cool!

And have a great time in the UK... I hope we get lots of photos when you get back. Your life sounds FUN!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post

Awwwwwwwwwww!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they're so cute when they're puppies, before they become teenagers.

If anyone wants to see Terrierman's terrier, it will be on animal planet at 9 am central time on February 17th. Except this was filmed in 2006, so I don't know if it's the right year.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrierman, are the working Russells still referred to as Jack Russells? I keep hearing them referred to as Parson Russells now....although most dog people I know still call them Jacks. What's the deal with that?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I belong to the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America. It's a single breed registry, dedicated to the Jack Russell Terrier. It is a sister club to the Jack Russell Terrier Club of Great Britain and to the Jack Russell Terrier Club of Canada, both of which are also single breed registries. In our opinion, our clubs are the keepers of the true working Jack Russells (working= dogs that are bred to hunt in the earth, and used for that purpose). The multi breed registries (AKC, UKC, etc.) are anathema, because they have been the ruination of nearly every working breed that they have recognized, turning them into show ring caricatures, emphasizing a certain look over ability. When the AKC recognized "Jack Russells" they had the decency to use a different name, thus the Parson Russell Terrier. The differences between a JRTCA Jack Russell and an AKC Parson Russell are subtle but very real. The AKC Parson Russells tend to be taller and with a larger more heart shaped chest than the JRTCA Jack Russells. They resemble the AKC Fox Terriers more and more. Those are physical characteristics that are not assets to a hunting terrier that has to fit into small tunnels in the earth to get to fox, raccoons and groundhogs.

Both breeds of terrier are named after the originator of the breed, Parson John (aka Jack) Russell, who was an avid foxhunter in Southwest England (Devonshire) in the late 1700's. I've been fortunate enough to visit his hometown of Swimbridge, stay in the Jack Russell Inn, pay my respects at his grave and take a private tour of his estate, which is now in use as a Drug and Alcohol rehab center. Remarkably, it is otherwise in much the same condition as it was when he lived there. His original kennels are still there. As I've said, England is an incredible place, and the English have a much longer view than most of us Americans.

There, was that more than you care to know about Parson Russells vs Jack Russells or what?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I thought* that the working dogs were still Jack Russells, but kept hearing Parson Russell here and there. It was already divided in my mind between working and conformation.

I'm with you about the AKC. The problem is that the venues for non-AKC working dogs are so limited for most breeds, and most locales. And I like to do all kinds of stuff with my dogs... carting, agility, obedience, tracking, and some day herding. The UKC shows are so infrequent.

Oone of the reasons I got field springer is because I hoped that they were bred more naturally, but I do miss the testing that is more prevalent in the AKC for hereditary diseases.

I bought a bunch of books on field trials and hunt tests, but my springer is noise sensitive. Just my luck!

Anyway, thanks for the response. I had looked it up, but it still wasn't clear.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    There, was that more than you care to know about Parson Russells vs Jack Russells or what?
    No, that was perfect. I, too, wondered about the difference between the JRT and PRT. Thanks for spelling it out in layman's terms. I appreciate your dedication to keeping your breed pure and consistent.

I don't breed Schipperkes because 1.) we lack the facilities, 2.) we lack the time needed to be available, and 3.) we'd keep all the puppies because they're so darned cute. Our Schips are papered but they aren't show-quality. One is cream-colored and one has an underbite. Yet they retain the Schip attributes that we hold so dear: They're guard dogs (aka early warning systems), they want to chase small animals, they're very agile and smart. We sure don't want to see Schips go the way of Irish Setters, Labs, Goldens, etc. I'd rather bad-mouth the breed than encourage over-breeding.

BTW, Solveg, your puppy pictures are adorable. How much have they grown since then?
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I'd rather bad-mouth the breed than encourage over-breeding.

BTW, Solveg, your puppy pictures are adorable. How much have they grown since then?
    LOL! That's the sign of someone who cares. I was thinking of getting a Chinook a few years back, and went to visit owners. One owner spoke so badly about the breed that I laughed and said, "OK! OK! You've done your job!" It's just so worrisome. I wish they would breed dogs later and and put some kind of working provision in... even for lap dogs. They should "lap" really well.

Schipperkes could rat on a boat! That would be a really* fun even, to go sit on a boat and let schipperkes hunt!

Schipperkes are the longest living dog, right? Let's see some photos! I especially love it when they're puppies and look like giant bats.

I ran out and took some photos. This is my crew, as of this morning. For some perspective, the puppy is 34 lbs. Bella the berner is almost two. Chilly Pig the springer is 5 months, and Woofie the berner is 12. If any non-dog people are reading this (NOT LIKELY!), the last photo is typical play, not a fight to the death.

Last edited by solveg; 02-09-08 at 07:58 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on 2/10, at 7 and 10pm, my dog's half sister Roxy will be on Animal Planet in the agility invitational.

This was an amazing* accomplishment for dogs that are traditionally big and slow. Seriously....it blew everyone away in a field where small, lithe, fast dogs rule.

Look for the Berner!

The owners of Roxy were the ones who got me in with Bella's breeder and live here in the Twin Cities.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on 2/10, at 7 and 10pm, my dog's half sister Roxy will be on Animal Planet in the agility invitational.
    This is when I resent our lack of cable or satellite subscription.

Here are some pictures of cgallagh's dog and my Gretchen (R.I.P.).
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute! The tan dog is a schipperke???? I didn't know they came in any other color.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They come in black, cream, chocolate and a silver-blue that I've never seen. You'll see those colors more often in Europe than here, since the AKC will only accept black. Beau matches a yellow Lab in our obedience/agility class; we joke about their differences are only size and ears.

Are you familiar with Entlibuchers? They're like Berners crossed with Welsh Corgis: Berner colors, Corgi coat; Berner bone-size, Corgi legs. They're supposed to be herders. The one we met was playful and friendly but we don't know if he herded. He was an interesting-looking dog.

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    small, lithe, fast dogs rule.
    True !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrierman! I'm watching the Jack Russell Races right now, and it's a riot! When the dogs run clean, it's exciting, and when they lose focus it's hilarious.

When Berners lose focus, they just kind of slow down to a stop and look a little blank.

Anyway, I came back to find out which dog was yours, but I still don't know. What class was he running in?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    They come in black, cream, chocolate and a silver-blue that I've never seen. You'll see those colors more often in Europe than here, since the AKC will only accept black. Beau matches a yellow Lab in our obedience/agility class; we joke about their differences are only size and ears.

Are you familiar with Entlibuchers? They're like Berners crossed with Welsh Corgis: Berner colors, Corgi coat; Berner bone-size, Corgi legs. They're supposed to be herders. The one we met was playful and friendly but we don't know if he herded. He was an interesting-looking dog.
    I've met an Entlebucher once, and was amazed how different he was from the Berners and Swissies. There are 6 Swiss dogs all with the same markings...2 are hounds which I've never met, 2 are large farm dogs (the berner and the swissie) and two are smaller dogs (the entlebucher and the Appenzellar). I'm trying to remember, but I think one has more of a terrier personality and the other more of a corgi personality, with jobs to match.

I had no idea that schipperkes came in other colors! Thank god for Europe.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrierman, still waiting to find out which class your dog was in the terrier trials at the Dog Challenge.

Here's a photo of the first dog I trained, part of my first pack as an adult. He's gone now, but he lived to be 14, which is great for such a big guy.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are some of the cutest puppy pictures I've ever seen. I want to reach through the monitor and pick 'em up!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the Jack Russell Racing. Huntmoor Diamond and Huntmoor Copper. Diamond finished second in the finals and got some podium time.