Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-05-08, 10:00 PM   #1
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
My 59th Birthday

4 months into my Australian Odesey, a tour around Australia I find myself on an unsealed road along the Snowy river, called the intersate Barry Highway: in the bush in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, camped in a picnic spot on the Border of NSW and Victoria.
It's 2 am and the heavens are pouring down and the lightning is followed by cracks of thunder which echo around the valley. this part of Australia is known for huge forest fires, 2006 saw a front of 100km ablaze for 6 weeks. My plan is to head for the river and sit in it if a fire starts.
Several hours later after a little sleep I break camp and a van turns up, it is driven by a ?Kevin who I met the day before, he makes coffee for me, then we part company.
I cycle about 60 kms and stop to make lunch at Jacobs Creek, a german Sven gives me a beer for my birthday. After pasta mixed with packet soup and some pepsi I start the 12 mile climb to 1000 mtrs, on the roughest "road" I have seen outside of South America. Carved out of the cliff, rocky in places, and then loose gravel, followed by compact earth, wet with rain.
At a lookout at 894 mtrs I stop for a look at the amazing scenery, a van pulls in and gives me a fill of water and Rob tells me the address of his friend who lives on the road I am on.
About 25miles later I am very wet and very tired and should be near Rob's friends house, but no sign, after 6 or 7 more miles of pushing the bike and trailer up every little slope I come to I finally find Hobbitt Farm. A rough track leads into fields but no house is in view. 3 fields and gates later I am at the house, then a car comes through the last gate with me,
the guy driving was Kerry Packer's chef, he is a Swiss named Olly, and he has brought a pack of 30 bottles of beer for Michael ( Rob's mate), Michael's partner Coralee comes out of the house and welcomes me with " Hi George, Rob phoned to say you were on your way. We were worried as it was getting late so I was just coming out to look for you!" Then many beers are sunk for George's birthday
A shower, dry clothes, a good meal and a warm cozy bed to sleep in finish the day
I started alone and finished the day with several new friends

What a great day!!

george
jibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 10:20 PM   #2
Louis

Bikes:
Very interesting, and good to hear from you again, George. Happy Birthday and keep posting whenever you can.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 10:27 PM   #3
Miguelangel

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet
Thats what is all about!!! MAny happy returns... BTW good story!
Miguelangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 10:35 PM   #4
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
My life suddenly seems so very mundane.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 12:01 AM   #5
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
This is the stuff of which legends are made. Well done, and happy birthday!
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 05:51 AM   #6
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
It is my hope that when you return you can get this trip written into a book.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:48 AM   #7
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Well done, as always George,
Old 02-06-08, 08:02 AM   #8
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
Colour me green with envy. Happy Birthday!
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 08:49 AM   #9
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Wonderful way to celebrate a birthday!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 08:51 AM   #10
The Smokester

Bikes:
Wow. What an adventure. Happy birthday and the best of tailwinds.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 10:43 AM   #11
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Happy birthday and thanks for making the day here more interesting.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 11:26 AM   #12
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Sounds as though you have had to do a lot more than fitness training for this trip. Good job you only have one birthday a year to train for. All those beers must mean its weak beer or the training has been good enough.

Happy birthday and I would say have a beer on me- But That would be a bit belated now.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 11:46 AM   #13
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal
Happy Birthday George. I'm sat here in Bury, Lancashire UK reading about you in Australia on an American website. Aint the internet just grand. Good luck.
Jim
bigjim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 02:14 PM   #14
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
Thanks folks for all the kind words. Lets me know I am not alone :-)
I may have a few beers this weekend and think of you all.

I am resting in Canberra now and have updated the website ( link in sig), and uploaded a heap of photos

cheers

george
jibi is offline   Reply With Quote