Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Riding in the Upper Midwest this coming Weekend?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 12:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I see that the Madison, WI area predicted high on Saturday is 0 with a low of -7. Warming on Sunday to a high of 7 and low of -1.

Green Bay, where the insanity of TV contracts has the Packers hosting the Giants in a night game (5:30 local start, playing until 8:30 or 9:00), the Sunday prediction is a high of 6 and low of 2. Players and fans won't even get the benefit of getting a little warmth from the sun.

In Northern Wisconsin, the Saturday temps are predicted to a be a high of -1 and low of -13. Same is true for Minneapolis.

I see Michigan will be warmer, with Battle Creek having Saturday temps of 15/7.

Anyone planning to go out for a ride?

Howse about you, Solveg, with all of your cold weather set up on the Scott? Feel like braving sub-zero temps?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-17-08, 12:24 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'm afraid that the Giants will be somewhat shriveled this week.
Old 01-17-08, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Jamis crosscountry single speed with slicks; Schwin Traveller fixed gear conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be up in Eau Claire, WI this weekend, and I'm sure I'll be biking around with some friends there. I don't see them often enough not to. I've got some nice cross country ski gear that works great for biking as well. Definitely be wearing goggles, too.
Old 01-17-08, 12:39 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We don't plan on riding in the lower midwest either. With the temps in the teens, the winds in the teens and the windchill factor in the minus range.....I plan on being indoors.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-17-08, 02:38 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKingFiphtin
I'll be up in Eau Claire, WI this weekend, and I'm sure I'll be biking around with some friends there.
We have a very brave soul here. Eau Claire's weather is supposed to be bitterly cold. Prediction for noon on Saturday is -6 air temp, 8 mph wind, -20 wind chill factor. If you plan to go out early in the morning it's worse, -11 predicted at 9 am.

-11 is as close to freezing point as 75 is. One is 43 degrees colder, the other 43 degrees warmer. So if the temp drops from 75 to 32, you are only halfway to dropping to -11.

Check back in and report your ride!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-17-08 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 04:55 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
We have a very brave soul here. Eau Claire's weather is supposed to be bitterly cold. Prediction for noon on Saturday is -6 air temp, 8 mph wind, -20 wind chill factor. If you plan to go out early in the morning it's worse, -11 predicted at 9 am.

-11 is as close to freezing point as 75 is. One is 43 degrees colder, the other 43 degrees warmer. So if the temp drops from 75 to 32, you are only halfway to dropping to -11.

Check back in and report your ride!
Here in the Upper Middle Midwest of Central Southeast Michigan we're expecting snow and 15 or so, but if I don't get some pedaling time in I'll die next Saturday at teh Ann Arbor Worst Day of the Year 40! I also have to test out some winter kit options.

Road Fan
Old 01-17-08, 04:56 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Beverly
We don't plan on riding in the lower midwest either. With the temps in the teens, the winds in the teens and the windchill factor in the minus range.....I plan on being indoors.
Brrr sounds like my childhood recollections of Chicago!! How did Dayton become Chicago??

Road Fan
Old 01-17-08, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be riding.

(on the trainer)
Old 01-17-08, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKingFiphtin
I'll be up in Eau Claire, WI this weekend, and I'm sure I'll be biking around with some friends there. I don't see them often enough not to. I've got some nice cross country ski gear that works great for biking as well. Definitely be wearing goggles, too.
Best wishes on a fine ride which ends with at least the more important body parts still unfrozen. Perhaps you and the friends could arrange a pure tailwind route?
Old 01-17-08, 08:15 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Heck yeah, I'm going out! Just to be able to say I did. Plus, it will make other winter riding feel Oh-so-good! If you think about it, there's a 40 degree real-feel between this weekend and last weekend. I think I'm going to go check out the National Pond Hockey tournament.

Real-Feel™ on Saturday will be 25 below!
Old 01-17-08, 09:48 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That -25 Real Feel wind chill doesn't take your bike movement into account. If you are riding at 15 mph into the headwind, the Real Feel temp will be somewhere around -40 to -45 (that is, if you are riding when it is -25).

Old 01-18-08, 12:32 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a little chilly here, too. I went down to the harbor and snapped a pic. I ride past this scenery many a weekend, but during the daytime.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-18-08, 03:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the "Real Feel" thing you all speak of so reverently?

Is it in any way like reaching second base?

Or more serious, like reaching third?

Does it involve Cal Ripkin?

Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-18-08 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-18-08, 06:22 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
What is the "Real Feel" thing you all speak of so reverently?

Is it in any way like reaching second base?

Or more serious, like reaching third?

Does it involve Cal Ripkin?
Real Feel is Accuweather's version of windchill. I'm on a mac, so it's my widget. I don't understand why they changed the actual windchill factor. If this weekend occurred 5 years ago, it would probably be a 35 below windchill.
Old 01-18-08, 07:46 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
It was a little chilly here, too. I went down to the harbor and snapped a pic. I ride past this scenery many a weekend, but during the daytime.
Very nice. Really, nice photo.

But seriously, where is the snow?

Old 01-18-08, 10:10 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know. He put that in to make us feel jealous, but all we do is feel bad for him that he doesn't have any snow....
Old 01-18-08, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't think that St Louis qualifies as upper midwest. (Actually, southeast Missouri might be considered part of the south.) Anyway, we have 7 degrees predicted for tomorrow. That's not nearly enough farenheidts to suit me.
Old 01-18-08, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I don't think that St Louis qualifies as upper midwest. (Actually, southeast Missouri might be considered part of the south.) Anyway, we have 7 degrees predicted for tomorrow. That's not nearly enough farenheidts to suit me.
I would say St. Louis is the Central Lower Upper Midwest, at least in the winter.

I've had a few St. Louis winters - that 7 degrees can be worse that Chicago's 7 degrees!

Road Fan
Old 01-18-08, 06:23 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, just to have the brag rights...at least to the library and coffee shop. Sub zero isn't bad but I just hate the wind!
Old 01-18-08, 07:20 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've had the Midwest discussion before. There are two generally accepted definitions for that constitutes the "Midwest." The traditional definition does not include Missouri, or the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky or West Virginia. The U.S. Census includes all but Kentucky & WV in their regional summary data for the Midwest. A few references also include Kentucky & WV into an expanded "super" Midwest.

If one is not including KT & WV, then southern Missouri is barely within the Midwest and would indeed be the southernmost portion of the region.

Traditionally the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma were considered to the Great Plains states. But the U.S. Census has no such group defined. Missouri was sometimes included in Great Plains region and sometimes included in the South.

The gist of it is that no region wants to claim Missouri and it should pretty much just be left alone.
Attached Images
File Type: png
US_map-Midwest.PNG (16.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-18-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 07:33 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I know. He put that in to make us feel jealous, but all we do is feel bad for him that he doesn't have any snow....
I don't feel bad for him for having no snow!!!!! I am jealous
Old 01-18-08, 08:07 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
We've had the Midwest discussion before. There are two generally accepted definitions for that constitutes the "Midwest." The traditional definition does not include Missouri, or the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky or West Virginia. The U.S. Census includes all but Kentucky & WV in their regional summary data for the Midwest. A few references also include Kentucky & WV into an expanded "super" Midwest.

If one is not including KT & WV, then southern Missouri is barely within the Midwest and would indeed be the southernmost portion of the region.

Traditionally the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma were considered to the Great Plains states. But the U.S. Census has no such group defined. Missouri was sometimes included in Great Plains region and sometimes included in the South.

The gist of it is that no region wants to claim Missouri and it should pretty much just be left alone.

To be honest, I don't think of Minnesota or Wisconsin as being midwest. We're the "great north".
Old 01-18-08, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
To be honest, I don't think of Minnesota or Wisconsin as being midwest. We're the "great north".
Nope. You're "the great white north".

Q. What do people in Minnesota do during the summer.
A. If it comes on a weekend they usually go swimming.
Old 01-18-08, 10:31 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That is really* cute! I've never heard that!
Old 01-18-08, 10:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This was said by someone who has never walked out into Lake Superior in July. I don't know how anyone ever swims there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.