Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Finally Got Them Sorted Out

I think I've finally got the saddle situation sorted out on the three road bikes I ride the most. It's been a frustrating few weeks, but after over 10 hours on each bike, I have no discomfort on any of them, and that is something about which I can celebrate! I was fearful I might have to stop riding for a while.

The Jamis is sporting a Selle Anatomica. I thought it was expensive, but it is well worth the money on this bike. This is my long ride bike, and the Selle Anatomica really makes a very big difference after the three hour mark. It's a bit heavier than I'd like, but then so am I. So the weight factor is a wash.

The Cannondale has a Specialized Alias on it in the widest size. This is my rain, commuter, night riding rig, and it's the one that I ride in the most upright position. Hence the wider seat seems to work well. I seldom ride this bike for more than 2 to 2.5 hours at a time, which is a good thing. At about the 2.5 hour mark the backside is getting just a little cranky, yet bearable.

The Specialized has a Selle Italia SLK on it, and it is surprisingly comfortable. It is much more firm than the Selle Anatomica. So, it feels a bit hard until after the first 20 to 30 minutes, then I tend to forget that it is there. The longest ride on this was just a little over three hours and it was fine. Typically, this bike gets used when I want to go out and hammer (well as close to hammering as I can get). For me these kind of rides almost never go over three hours.

My steel lugged 80s Specialized Sirrus isn't shown, but I modified my Brooks Pro with the same cutout that is on the Selle Anatomica, and it seems to work well. I can't be completely sure of this, however, because right now this bike is on the trainer. And, I hate the trainer so much that it wouldn't be fair to judge at this time. I'll know more when I get it on the road again this spring.

So, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the saddle situation right now. I wonder what I can obsess about next?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 02-11-08 at 07:31 AM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweaking saddles is one of the aspects of biking that annoys me. I used four different saddles over the first 8 months after I got back into riding. And tweaked each one over and over. Eventually I did find a combination that worked very well for me.

As to your Brooks Pro, you say it has a cutout like the Selle Anatomica. I know when the Selle Anatomica company modifies a Brooks to that design, they add a supportive layer of leather under the Brooks leather, like a two-ply leather laminate. They say this is necessary to prevent the Brooks from eventually badly sagging, as the standard leather was designed to bear the tension across the surface of the saddle, and a cutout dramatically affects that tension. Did you do this, or have this done?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Tweaking saddles is one of the aspects of biking that annoys me. I used four different saddles over the first 8 months after I got back into riding. And tweaked each one over and over. Eventually I did find a combination that worked very well for me.

As to your Brooks Pro, you say it has a cutout like the Selle Anatomica. I know when the Selle Anatomica company modifies a Brooks to that design, they add a supportive layer of leather under the Brooks leather, like a two-ply leather laminate. They say this is necessary to prevent the Brooks from eventually badly sagging, as the standard leather was designed to bear the tension across the surface of the saddle, and a cutout dramatically affects that tension. Did you do this, or have this done?
    I had it done by a local shoe repairman. He indicated that he didn't see the need for any additional support, but if I later found it was sagging, I could bring it back and he'd reinforce it then. It was a very reasonable price... $8.00.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How were things set up before?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bout 6 years of pain from saddles. Then suddenly- Things changed. I must have 10 good exoensive saddles still in the shed for when things go wrong again- But I found a style of saddle that suited me. Like you I have 3 road bikes. Each with a different saddle fitted and they are all comfortable. Don't know what it was that changed- whether it was me or the choice of saddles. But it is great getting off the bike after 4 hours riding and not still find the saddle pain the next day.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear the Selle Anatomica suited you. I never cared much for narrow saddles, and have been reading the issues you've had with saddles--which seem to closely parallel my experiences. The SA was on my list to try this spring, guess I'll be trying it first-and hopefully last, in my search for a comfortable perch. Thanks for the report.