Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I am so bad (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/386040-i-am-so-bad.html)

late 02-07-08 10:34 AM

I am so bad

I just sent an email to Gunnar/Waterford. I will prob chicken out, but I am not that far from pulling the trigger.

I have short legs and arms, most cyclists go from average to leggy.

It would be nice to have a bike actually fit me for once before I die (Bucket List). So I asked them about a custom bike. The frame alone will set me back over a grand. That hurts.

But I also may need to, my knees suck, and it would really help if I could get a perfect fit.

This would be my weekend ride. It would have 'small' tires (Rivendell Roly Poly)
and prob my current wheels (Ambrosio Excellence on Ultegra). Prob stick with 9 speed, 10 speed has gotten crazy expensive.

Uggh, I'd have to get another Titanic saddle, those are not cheap. Maybe I could get by with one of my old Brooks.

I'm a blue collar guy, this is crazy talk. But you know how it goes..

madli 02-07-08 10:40 AM

Bought a Gunnar Sport in December '05 and really enjoy the ride! What model are you contemplating?
The only negative has been a "chippy" paint job, bought some touch-up to take care of it. Good people to deal with, excellent product overall!

late 02-07-08 10:48 AM

I have a Gunnar Sport. I love it. It's a bit older than yours. Basically what I am considering is another Sport that is modified to suit me.

The Sport and the Roadie don't get anything like the Kudos they deserve.

Digital Gee 02-07-08 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by late (Post 6123888)
I'm a blue collar guy, this is crazy talk. But you know how it goes..

Yes, but you're in the asylum. We all understand. :D

Digital Gee 02-07-08 11:25 AM

Here's what the Irish say...

"Tis better to spend money like there's no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there's no money!"

stapfam 02-07-08 11:44 AM

Posted a reply on the wrong thread- but I tried for years to get a standard frame that fitted me. Luckily- I am just short on the legs and I got onto compact frames. They seem to be adaptable to a lot of wierd body shapes.

madli 02-07-08 01:17 PM

Since I purchased the Sport I've upgraded: ( to)stem-Thomson Elite...seatpost-also Thomson....Saddle-ISM Road model
& wheels from Bontrager (LBS recommendation ) to American Classic "Hurricanes"!!

stapfam 02-07-08 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madli (Post 6124883)
Since I purchased the Sport I've upgraded: ( to)stem-Thomson Elite...seatpost-also Thomson....Saddle-ISM Road model
& wheels from Bontrager (LBS recommendation ) to American Classic "Hurricanes"!!

Stick with that LBS- They know what they are doing.

Camilo 02-07-08 04:15 PM

OK, how many of your blue collar friends have one or more of the following:

motorcycle
snowmobile
BOAT
big screen TV
etc.
etc.
etc.

There are so many stupid things that cost XXX times more than a top shelf bicycle, and are very common among people who, I'd bet, make a lot less money than you. How many of us know paycheck-to-paycheck people who spend several thousand on the TV set alone? Unfortunately those people vote (pick your party) and are what the broadcasters (radio and TV) aim for.

BSLeVan 02-07-08 04:30 PM

Always but the best tools for the job that you can afford. Bikes are tools. Go for it. Oh, and consider having the Brooks modified. I just had one of mine modified and am very happy with it.

ad6mj 02-07-08 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 6124328)
Posted a reply on the wrong thread- but I tried for years to get a standard frame that fitted me. Luckily- I am just short on the legs and I got onto compact frames. They seem to be adaptable to a lot of wierd body shapes.

+1
I've got short legs and a normal torso. Compact frame works perfect for me, the only thing I can find with a long enough top tube and still have clearance for my guys. Of course it doesn't look compact with only a fist full of seat post showing.

soma5 02-07-08 05:07 PM

I have short arms and legs and a long torso. I finally went full custom and it was a revelation. That was back in the early '90s when I was racing. Fast forward to July 2007, when I was returning to cycling for the first time in 12 years. Initially the bike felt a little stretched out but by the end of July I found that it fit perfectly, just as it did when I got it. I am still amazed at how well it fits and how comfortable it is. A bike that fits is not something that becomes useless after a little while, and the comfort factor is always there.

-soma5

big john 02-07-08 06:45 PM

I'm happy with my Gunnar.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ohn53/tdf3.jpg

bkaapcke 02-07-08 09:59 PM

Bicycling does wonders for your health, if you do it regularly. Doing it regularly requires good fit and decent equipment. This costs money, especially if you have specific physical issues that must be addressed. Invest in your health, and you will get more return on the money than anywhere else. Just take measures to prevent theft. bk

Tom Bombadil 02-07-08 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madli (Post 6123934)
Bought a Gunnar Sport in December '05 and really enjoy the ride! What model are you contemplating?
The only negative has been a "chippy" paint job, bought some touch-up to take care of it. Good people to deal with, excellent product overall!

They had a run of paint problems for a few months about then. A number of people who purchased in late '05 or early '06 reported problems. They had to do some repaints. There are a number of complaints on the board that has mountain bike reviews.