Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: I am so bad

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so bad

I just sent an email to Gunnar/Waterford. I will prob chicken out, but I am not that far from pulling the trigger.

I have short legs and arms, most cyclists go from average to leggy.

It would be nice to have a bike actually fit me for once before I die (Bucket List). So I asked them about a custom bike. The frame alone will set me back over a grand. That hurts.

But I also may need to, my knees suck, and it would really help if I could get a perfect fit.

This would be my weekend ride. It would have 'small' tires (Rivendell Roly Poly)
    and prob my current wheels (Ambrosio Excellence on Ultegra). Prob stick with 9 speed, 10 speed has gotten crazy expensive.

Uggh, I'd have to get another Titanic saddle, those are not cheap. Maybe I could get by with one of my old Brooks.

I'm a blue collar guy, this is crazy talk. But you know how it goes..
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Steel Cyclist
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Zanotti Cyclocross, Jamis Coda Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a Gunnar Sport in December '05 and really enjoy the ride! What model are you contemplating?
    The only negative has been a "chippy" paint job, bought some touch-up to take care of it. Good people to deal with, excellent product overall!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Gunnar Sport. I love it. It's a bit older than yours. Basically what I am considering is another Sport that is modified to suit me.

The Sport and the Roadie don't get anything like the Kudos they deserve.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    I'm a blue collar guy, this is crazy talk. But you know how it goes..
    Yes, but you're in the asylum. We all understand.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what the Irish say...

"Tis better to spend money like there's no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there's no money!"
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted a reply on the wrong thread- but I tried for years to get a standard frame that fitted me. Luckily- I am just short on the legs and I got onto compact frames. They seem to be adaptable to a lot of wierd body shapes.
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-07-08 at 10:54 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Steel Cyclist
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Zanotti Cyclocross, Jamis Coda Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I purchased the Sport I've upgraded: ( to)stem-Thomson Elite...seatpost-also Thomson....Saddle-ISM Road model
    & wheels from Bontrager (LBS recommendation ) to American Classic "Hurricanes"!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madli View Post
    Since I purchased the Sport I've upgraded: ( to)stem-Thomson Elite...seatpost-also Thomson....Saddle-ISM Road model
    & wheels from Bontrager (LBS recommendation ) to American Classic "Hurricanes"!!

Stick with that LBS- They know what they are doing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, how many of your blue collar friends have one or more of the following:

motorcycle
    snowmobile
    BOAT
    big screen TV
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

There are so many stupid things that cost XXX times more than a top shelf bicycle, and are very common among people who, I'd bet, make a lot less money than you. How many of us know paycheck-to-paycheck people who spend several thousand on the TV set alone? Unfortunately those people vote (pick your party) and are what the broadcasters (radio and TV) aim for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always but the best tools for the job that you can afford. Bikes are tools. Go for it. Oh, and consider having the Brooks modified. I just had one of mine modified and am very happy with it.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Posted a reply on the wrong thread- but I tried for years to get a standard frame that fitted me. Luckily- I am just short on the legs and I got onto compact frames. They seem to be adaptable to a lot of wierd body shapes.
    +1
    I've got short legs and a normal torso. Compact frame works perfect for me, the only thing I can find with a long enough top tube and still have clearance for my guys. Of course it doesn't look compact with only a fist full of seat post showing.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have short arms and legs and a long torso. I finally went full custom and it was a revelation. That was back in the early '90s when I was racing. Fast forward to July 2007, when I was returning to cycling for the first time in 12 years. Initially the bike felt a little stretched out but by the end of July I found that it fit perfectly, just as it did when I got it. I am still amazed at how well it fits and how comfortable it is. A bike that fits is not something that becomes useless after a little while, and the comfort factor is always there.

-soma5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy with my Gunnar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycling does wonders for your health, if you do it regularly. Doing it regularly requires good fit and decent equipment. This costs money, especially if you have specific physical issues that must be addressed. Invest in your health, and you will get more return on the money than anywhere else. Just take measures to prevent theft. bk

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madli View Post
    Bought a Gunnar Sport in December '05 and really enjoy the ride! What model are you contemplating?
    The only negative has been a "chippy" paint job, bought some touch-up to take care of it. Good people to deal with, excellent product overall!
    They had a run of paint problems for a few months about then. A number of people who purchased in late '05 or early '06 reported problems. They had to do some repaints. There are a number of complaints on the board that has mountain bike reviews.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post