Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-08, 05:47 PM   #1
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DG: Are you ready for the Tour de Palm Springs?

I haven't seen any posts discussing your training. Are you still riding this? I want to have enough champagne on hand that we might toast your inaugural century. It was cgallagh's first century ever, and our first tandem century. We have fond memories of the ride and hope that you will as well.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 05:56 PM   #2
ad6mj

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
I don't now about DG, but I'm riding the 55. Too lazy to ride the century, and my wife has me scheduled for several things in the afternoon.
ad6mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 06:06 PM   #3
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
I'm not sure at this point. For a variety of reasons, some of which are personal, and some of which are rain-related, I haven't even ridden a bike in 15 days, my longest non-injury related non-biking period. I barely rode more than 100 miles in all of January. Frankly, I'm in a bit of a biking slump, which I expect (based on a couple in the past) will work itself out pretty soon.

But to be honest, in addition to having some other priorities and distractions, I'm having second thoughts about the century anyway. I'm questioning why I'm doing it, if I do it. Am I doing it because I want to do it, or am I doing it because I want to meet someone else's expectations? I don't know at this point. I do know that if my heart isn't in it, it's going to be a LONG ride!

But, as I say, there's some personal stuff going on that is interfering with having a clear vision about this challenge, and maybe if and as some of that clears up, I will know which is the path with heart for me.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 06:11 PM   #4
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge
Even if you decide not to do the century ride, you can always start later in the day and do one of the shorter rides. I'm sure once you get to Palm Springs and see all the cyclists it will cheer you up and you can momentarily forget your current problems and enjoy yourself. Hope you do go up and ride!!!
Litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 07:06 PM   #5
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My wife and I will be on the Palm Springs Century route, starting at about 7:00 AM, or as close to that as possible.

There is a pre-ride meet and greet and a post ride meal for forumites scheduled. Please see the Palm Springs thread in the regional SoCal forum for details.

Will anyone else be wearing their 50+ jersey? If so, I'll wear mine, but otherwise I'll probably wear my Rebel jersey.

Hope to see you all there, and DG please wear your 50+ jersey if you decide to ride.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:41 PM   #6
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
This ride, like any other, only needs be as long as you want it to be. Even if you start the century, you should feel free to drop out at any time. Or push forward as long as you feel the urge.

Being a less competitive type person, paying my fee and starting out on a century attempt would not make me feel any obligation to finish or endure significant discomfort. Rather it would be taking a fling at a target and giving it a reasonable shot.

Of course if you don't feel like riding in it, then don't.

I think you should ride if you can. Even if just 25 miles. See what it is like to ride in an event. Enjoy the view.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 02-07-08 at 09:12 PM.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:45 PM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
That's quite a motivational speech there, coach Bombadil.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 09:23 PM   #8
waldowales
Old Fogy

Bikes:
Get out there and win one for the Gipper!
waldowales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 09:24 PM   #9
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I am much more about enjoying the experience than winning and/or competing. If someone enjoys grinding themselves into a pulp, then so be it.

I would not like to see DG drop out of the event due to concerns about being able to ride 100 miles, or feeling that someone here has those expectations of him. I think he should just go ride and keep riding as long as it is enjoyable. Perhaps he'll be swept up in an adrenaline rush and finish it. Or maybe he'll tire of it after 40 miles. Either way, it should be fun. There really isn't any failure on the line here.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-07-08, 09:27 PM   #10
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My thoughts will be with all of you. I used to run the sag stop at the 70 mile mark in La Quinta. It was always an amazing time.

DG, you may find that being there and doing a short ride will help lift you out of your slump. Just being with so many cyclists. Maybe even just leave your bicycle home and help out at one of the sag stations. I recommend the one in La Quinta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 07:39 AM   #11
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
DG: Here is a little secret that I found out last June. Riding a century is really only five or six short rides kind of taped together. Unless you are out to set some sort of record time, it's not that hard, but still an accomplishment that you will be proud of. Like many things in life, the hardest part is saying to yourself that you are going to do it, and then start. I would not sweat being off the bike for 15 days if I had any interest in doing the ride. But would instead start riding again and then just see what happens and how you feel when the day comes. No matter what you decide to do though, stand by for getting a hard time from us here, you've earned it! Good luck.
Old 02-08-08, 08:39 AM   #12
big john

Bikes:
I did my first century in 1988, a Thanksgiving weekend thing called The Tour de Turkey. I had done a 75 mile preparation ride a couple weeks prior, but I got pretty sick before the event. I struggled and coughed and whined my way through it, thinking I couldn't finish many times. I was coughing so much, some wise guy suggested I should quit smoking. After the ride I realized, beside the sickness, the mental barrier was the biggest thing, and my second century, while a harder route, was much more fun and I had a great time. I think I did about 50 rides of around 100 miles in 1990. Now, they kick my butt pretty good, but I still enjoy doing them.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 09:01 AM   #13
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I think you should ride if you can. Even if just 25 miles. See what it is like to ride in an event. Enjoy the view.
<sexistPig>And if the view includes the south end of a shapely Lycra-clad northbound lass, that may be all the motivation you need for the miles to fly by!</sexistPig>
bcoppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 10:55 AM   #14
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
We considered entering one of the shorter rides of the TdPS. There are 5, 10, 25, and 55 mile rides, and then there's the century. So, one could register for one of the shorter rides, complete that, and not feel like he/she couldn't make the 100 mile ride.

DG: Listen to your heart, do what's important to YOU. It's OK to not ride a century. Do it when you're ready, if you're ready, when your heart will be in it so you can enjoy it without the ambivalent feelings.
Old 02-13-08, 11:55 PM   #15
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

I'm willing to put $50 on DG not completing 50 miles.

Anyone want part of my action?

Old 02-14-08, 10:11 AM   #16
ad6mj

Since the ride was last Saturday and he didn't go, I'd say that's a safe bet!
Old 02-14-08, 10:24 AM   #17
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

I missed that post where he said he didn't go . . .

On the other hand, if he had ridden TDPS, we would have probably heard about it by now.

My wife and I rode the 100; had a great time on a lovely day with a very organized and well presented event.

There was live music at every rest stop and even cheerleaders cheering us on at the lunch stop!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-14-08, 10:47 AM   #18
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad6mj View Post
Since the ride was last Saturday and he didn't go, I'd say that's a safe bet!
Now why did you have to go and say that!

Did you ever watch "The Sting."

Old 02-14-08, 10:48 AM   #19
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post

There was live music at every rest stop and even cheerleaders cheering us on at the lunch stop!

Rick / OCRR

If there were cheerleaders, live music, and lunch, then I would have never gotten past that stop.

Old 02-14-08, 11:09 AM   #20
ad6mj

I was lazy and only rode 55 so I didn't have lunch. I didn't ride the TdPS the last couple years and was surprised how much more fanfare was involved this year. They held us up around the corner from the finish and had big groups come through with the band playing, the crowd cheering, a cute young lady came up and hung a medal around my neck, you'd of thought we won the TdF or were returning war heroes.
Old 02-14-08, 11:45 AM   #21
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Check out the Tour de Palm Springs thread over on the SoCal forum if you'd like to see photos of the cheerleaders. Not that you would, but just sayin' . . .

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-14-08, 04:45 PM   #22
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Just looked at the elevation profile. Note mile 51 through about 62 miles. I'm not used to seeing elevations below sea level............

jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 05:03 PM   #23
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Just looked at the elevation profile. Note mile 51 through about 62 miles. I'm not used to seeing elevations below sea level............:eek
Yes, it's impressive when tour guides point out fishing traps built by the Cahuilla Indians back when the valley connected to the Gulf of California. And the traps are almost 200 feet above your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote