User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My What A Day! - Rear Ended a Fast Mover

I rode 20 miles this morning and was having a blast. A young fellow passed me like I was sitting still and I thought: "Wow, I wonder if I can catch him?" Of course I did and we were moving along at 19 to 21 mph. Him on his all carbon Trek and me on my 26 pound Randonee. I was so proud of myself, but I just couldn't hang with him after two miles so I slowed down. I started to pull my camera out of the handle bar bag to get a shot of who dropped me.

Yep, he slammed on his brakes in the middle of a straight away and I looked up just in time to slam on my breaks and tap his rear wheel with my front. Over I went! Small tear in left knee of my tights and a big hole in my ego! The tights bothered me more than the ego. No damage to either bike.

He was a nice guy and apologized for not looking back and just shutting it down. I apologized for not keeping my eyes on the road.

Ended the day by having a tooth pulled!
    I'll do it again tomorrow - ride sans the dentist.
    What a great day!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of a story from my running days.

I had entered a pretty big 10 mile road race. After the start sorted out I found myself about 5 yards behind a fellow who was running at my pace. I followed him like that for about 6 or 7 miles - I couldn't gain on him and he appearantly wasn't able to pull away from me. As we neared the finish line a course worker advised we had only 200 yards to go. I was just about to give up and say to myself that I wasn't going to be able to beat him when he, without warning, wobbled over to the side of the road and started to throw up.

That race set my personal best for a 10 miles.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of stupid for someone to just full on stop but this is a good reason people need to say something if they are going to grab a wheel. I frequently pass people and find when cornering or when I check traffic behind me, surprise I have someone on my wheel. I don't have a problem if they let me know they are there so I can signal and take precautions but if you are silently behind me who know what can happen. At best a snot rocket in the face.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Reminds me of a story from my running days.

I had entered a pretty big 10 mile road race. After the start sorted out I found myself about 5 yards behind a fellow who was running at my pace. I followed him like that for about 6 or 7 miles - I couldn't gain on him and he appearantly wasn't able to pull away from me. As we neared the finish line a course worker advised we had only 200 yards to go. I was just about to give up and say to myself that I wasn't going to be able to beat him when he, without warning, wobbled over to the side of the road and started to throw up.

That race set my personal best for a 10 miles.
    This is just fine without pictures, thank you!