I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Can I come meet you sometime? I won't be a pest and stay long! Maybe just 5 miles or so to say hi? I know you like to ride alone.
    I see a YouTube video coming from something like this...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you call taking a week off to drive to Kamloops BC and ride a 1200k randonnee (the Rocky Mtn 1200), then I'm taking a cycling vacation. With a 90hr time limit, it won't be any picnic, tho'....

Scott P
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year while attending Siggraph, I rented a bike for a week in San Diego. This year, Siggraph is in L.A. and while rode in downtown L.A. for years, I'm not sure that renting a bike will be practical.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Can I come meet you sometime? I won't be a pest and stay long! Maybe just 5 miles or so to say hi? I know you like to ride alone.
    I ride fine with others. I rode with friends twice in '07 and thoroughly enjoyed both rides. I invited you to meet me on my ride of the Cannon Valley Trail last October, but you had other commitments that weekend.

But I have no hard plans as to when I'll be over there. I'm thinking May'ish.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    TSL, when is the Finger Lakes weekend? (Anything within driving distance of T'r'n'a has to be worth considering.
    The GFLBT is a great weekend. US$68 includes the rides, meals (breakfast and supper each day as applicable), maps, SAG, Saturday night entertainment, club membership (required for insurance purposes) and camping. Bunkhouse is another $5 for the weekend. Here's the email sent out earlier this week:

Great Finger Lakes Bicycle Tour, June 6-8, 2008

Saturday's Rides - Keuka Overlook MAWBA Century
    91 mile ride with 23, 31, 51, 64, and 78 mile options

The 91 mile ride runs west from the Hidden Valley Group Camp in Watkins Glen to Monterey, with excursions along Lamoka Lake, then through Hammondsport, Wayne, and Penn Yan before returning to camp. A route outline may be seen at www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=3228.

The ride is the longest distance we've provided in years and includes some serious climbs, but the scenic views are ample reward for the climbing effort. Hence the acronym MAWBA - Might As Well Be A (Century). Even the road names suggest this: Birdseye Hollow Road runs along the side of Mt Washington. Along another part of the route there is an "aerial view" of Lamoka Lake so striking that on his reconnaissance mission map master Bill Armstrong forgot to take a snapshot to use for promotion.

Shortcuts along the long loop result in 51, 64, and 78 mile options for the less ambitious riders. The 51 mile route will be used as this year's Augie Mueller's Ambling Adventure. Two shorter routes, 23 miles and 31 miles, with a remote start from Dundee, link up with the other routes. These routes have one climb to the event's namesake, Keuka Overlook, that will be a challenge. All routes also converge on the Windmill Farm & Craft Market, enjoyed by many on previous tours. The chosen routes include new paths to explore between familiar waypoints and offer a fresh perspective of the Finger Lakes Region.

Bill has made arrangements with two wineries for our wine pickup. The 91 milers are invited to the Pleasant Valley Wine Co. / Great Western Winery in Hammondsport (www.pleasantvalleywine.com). Their offer is $2 for wine tasting and a 10% discount on any of their bottles of wine. Purchases will be picked up by the SAG Wagon and will be delivered to the camp in time for Saturday's dinner. All the rides pass by the Keuka Overlook Wine Cellars (www.keukaoverlook.com), where similar arrangements have been made. Both wineries have a wide range of wines and prices.

Sunday's Rides: The Keuka Lake Loop and Bluff Point route has been such a success in past GFLBT events that the committee has declared it to be the standard for future Sunday rides. It has a remote start in Hammondsport, circles the lake in a clockwise direction, and has options for 57 miles (with one very steep, short hill) or 44 miles (relatively flat).

Description/application for the 28th Annual GFLBT, June 6-8, 2008 can be found at www.southerntierbicycleclub.org
    This year's Saturday route incorporates portions of two routes I rode at last year's GFLBT. I'm really looking forward to this ride.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oklahoma Freewheel for me. I'm trying to arrange hotel accomodations rather than camp, and may tour from my house to the starting point (160 miles).

http://www.okfreewheel.com
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 02-09-08 at 10:21 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going week of 3/15 - 3/22 to do PAC Tour's Arizona training camp week#4 the Chiricahua Challenge Tour . Routes daily through Tombstone, Wilcox, Chiricahua. Check it out at www.pactour.com under the "Seven Weeks of Arizona Training Camp" link. Can't wait to be away from work where the goal for the day is to start & finish riding, eating,and soaking in some sun!!!

My Bikes
    Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In April, a 3 day ride from Dublin,Ca. to Yosemite, in May a 3 day ride from Dublin to Paso Robles Ca, for the Great Western bicycle Rally, with a couple of days riding around Paso Robles, then 2 weeks on the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany in early October.

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were hoping to go on the TransAm (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1489721) from Yorktown, VA to Florence, OR starting late May and ending late or end of August this year. It doesn't look like we will be going until next year (2009). Our trip is basically panned out, funded, and equipped with a triplet (bike for three), but life's turns and twists look to keep us from going this year.
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Rick@OCRR I’m doing several of the Triple Crown Doubles this year and the first being Butterfield. I’m also doing “The Lung Ride”, 3 days on the Central Coast of California May 16, 17 and 18. The ride visits the towns of Paso Robles, Cayucos, Cambria, Morro Bay, Avila Beach, Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo and has routes for all level of riders.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are planning two special trips this year.

The first is going to be a May trip on the Katy Trail. Gonna ride out for two days from Clinton MO, then turn around and ride back.

The other is a big family bike ride in August. My brother and his wife, my sister and 1 or 2 of her kids, my wife and I and 1 or 2 of our kids are meeting in Colorado for a week and a half of day tripping. The first couple days will be based in Glenwood Springs, riding down hill from Aspen and from Eagle. The rest of the trip will be based in Dillon, riding around Summit County.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I'm planning on several. As I wrote before, I have a lot of vacation to use this year, will be taking about 8 weeks off in total, not all as weeks, some will be split into multiple 4-day weekends.

No organized rides ... there aren't many of those on bike trails. .
    We have one organized event on the trails in my area. I've volunteered at the event in the past and it's a well organized ride.

http://www.greenetrailsclassic.com/
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Directionally Challenged Lost again's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2000 Turner Burner, MTB, 2007 Turner 5 Spot MTB, 08 Bianchi Axis CX bike, Giant TCR 01 Carbon Road,Surly 1X1 ss MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to love RAGBRAI!

I'm looking to do my own supported ride from Oregon to SoCal. I haven't found anyone to ride with, so it looks like I'll be going solo. I'll be sticking to the coast for the most part and pulling a BOB trailer. I'll be doing it thru the July 4th time to take advantage of the extra days off.

I'll also be doing a lot of the double centuries this year. We have plans to do 6 plus doing the Grand Tour triple (300 miles in a day) in June.
    aka Pain Freak
    I ride,therefor I am
    and you ain't.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around this time of year I'm always investigating possible spring and summer rides. There are so many possibilities! As the time approaches factors like money, family commitments, etc. start to set in and help narrow down the choices. Here are the top contenders:

Spring Break (I'm a teacher - we get Spring Break) - A trip to Henry Coe State Park outside of Morgan Hill, California. It looks like there's some awesome mountain biking there. I'd car camp the first night, then possibly do some bikecamping for a few days, or else just car camp and take day rides.

First week of summer - A trip to Prescott, Arizona where my daughter goes to college. Car camp, mountain bike, and spend time with her when she's not in class or working.

Second or third week of summer - Drive up to Washington, join the Northern Tier in Omak (where I left off last summer) and continue east. I'd like to go to Glacier National Park. Ride the Going-To-The-Sun Road to the top, camp, then turn around and head back. Then head south to Missoula and ride the Lewis and Clark route back towards the ocean. Maybe take the train back home from Portland.

It all sounds great, huh? Who knows what will actually happen.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Gazelle Medeo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    Arizona week after next, Vermont (probably) in June and Route Verte (possibly) in September, and always looking for more.

So...

If you have any maps or route/contact information on Route Verte, Hockey, I'd love some details. I have not started researching it all yet -- I'm aiming at motels rather than hotels. Is this an option, as far as you know?
    The Route Verte web site (http://www.routeverte.com/rv/ang/index.lasso) identifies B&B's, motels and hotels that have obtained the "Bienvenue Cyclistes" (Welcome Cyclists) accreditation. These installations have made a commitment to meet cyclist needs while on travel. So, to answer your question, this is definitely an option. Also, the Route Verte creates a provincial infrastrucutre into which a large number of regional and city bike networks connect. This creates a very cyclist friendly environmnent that has to be experienced at least once. On top of that, many regions have developed a complementary road-based bike network. Maps are available in each Region. When you have a better idea of the regions you would be interested to visit, let me know. I can help steer you to resources like bike route maps that will help make your trip more enjoyable and make some specific recommendations on itineraries. Alternately, you can contact Vélo-Québec (http://www.velo.qc.ca/english/index.php). They can help you as well.

Also, my girlfriend and I are launching a new cycling vacation product this coming May in Quebec, which will integrate the Route Verte. One of the advantages is that you eat and sleep on a ship, rather than have to relocate your baggage every day, either by moving it around with you on your bike or having a transfer vehicle do it for you. Check us out in the Advertised Services section in the Forum.

Cheers,
    Ron

My Bikes
    which one?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm...yeah?!?! We'll take off from Prudhoe Bay in June and just keep pedaling south!
    WE DID IT! Our little family of four cycled 17,300 miles from Alaska to Argentina! The trip of a lifetime for sure. www.familyonbikes.org

My Bikes
    which one?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus Riley
    Black soon to be a orange Santana Triplet
    Horrors!! What heresy!
    WE DID IT! Our little family of four cycled 17,300 miles from Alaska to Argentina! The trip of a lifetime for sure. www.familyonbikes.org

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm contemplating doing the Katy Trail DNR ride in June. I have never done a group ride before. In fact, I've never ridden with anyone else before so I'm somewhat apprehensive. I sure would like to ride all the way across Missouri, though.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    june: ride the rockies or bike kansas or bran (NE) or scenic midwest ride
    aug : candisc (ND)
    sept: triri (IN) and hope ride (hope IN)

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy sv View Post
    Horrors!! What heresy!

Hi Nancy, good to see you on the forums!! Yes it will be the color orange for our trip. Hey this bike is being used with its new owners as it was with you all, just in a different color. We're not too fond of black.
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

My Bikes
    which one?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley View Post
    Hi Nancy, good to see you on the forums!! Yes it will be the color orange for our trip. Hey this bike is being used with its new owners as it was with you all, just in a different color. We're not too fond of black.
    (Shhhh.... I'm not too fond of black either. Don't tell that to John though...)

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next week, to watch the tour of California, but no riding.
    June, hope to do GOBA (great ohio bicycle adventure).
    Next year, really want to go to Spain. Does anyone know of good companies to check out (without a travel companion I don't want to go independently) that cater to moderate or less riders? Most that I've seen so far are geared to the "avid" cyclist.

Red Rider, I once did a trip taking the train to San Luis Obispo & then riding back south. It was great until I broke my foot--had to catch the train in LA back home. Anyway, it was a very bike friendly route & great fun.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rae View Post
    Next week, to watch the tour of California, but no riding.
    Why no riding? The very best viewing on a mountain stage is to ride your bike to a good viewing spot on a climb.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tricia and I are thinking of doing Seattle to Portland (STP) again.
    We got some thing in the mail about a multi day finger lake NY ride that she liked teh sound of, but I'm not for driving across the USA and then having to drive back.

I'd like to find an organized ride along the Oregon Coast we could do. Multi day, affordable, with a group.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Why no riding? The very best viewing on a mountain stage is to ride your bike to a good viewing spot on a climb.
    And I would love to do that! But I don't want (and can't because I'm traveling on Skybus anyway) to shlep my bike out to California. If I can find a rental shop in San Jose or Solvang, I might do it one or two days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast