Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-08, 02:35 PM   #51
red bikes rule!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was on vacation when y'all were posting on this thread, so I'll chime in now.

I'm riding the Tour de Nebraska in June (5 days, 300 miles) and the C&O Canal (184 miles from Cumberland, MD to DC) sometime in the fall.

When I rode the Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska (BRAN) in 2006, I decided that 7 days on a bike was too much for me, so I'm limiting my future trips to 5 days max.
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 03:52 PM   #52
Software for Cyclists
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Going to Phoenix next week to compete in the Arizona Senior Games - 2 time trials, and 2 road races in 2 days. Hoping to do well enough to qualify for the National Senior Games in San Francisco in 2009.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 04:57 PM   #53
Small Member
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Finally had the reservations confirmed for the first half of the July 4th week on Cape Cod. For a rider from Inland CT to spend days just riding around the beaches (even if crowded by people and cars) is enough to warm up the rest of the winter. We may also take the bikes up to ride around the Cape Cod Canal trails given enough time and good weather. Most of my beach riding happens around 6-7am before the roads get clogged.
Liberal bias makes it's own facts.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 07:27 PM   #54
Elite Rider
Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Week in San Juan Capistrano, CA in May and 10 days in Mallorca, Spain in September.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 07:32 PM   #55
Ti #18 Senior.
Bikes: Serotta Concours
Bicycle trips in 2008.

Planning three bicycle trips: Katy Trail (Central Mo 5 day solo ride) in April; if I survive the Katy Trail ride, I plan to do the Erie Canal Tour (8 day ride) in July: and Tour de Tucson in the fall (always a great ride). Retirement is good.
abqhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 08:15 PM   #56
Retro Grouch 
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
I'm contemplating doing the Katy Trail DNR ride in June. I have never done a group ride before. In fact, I've never ridden with anyone else before so I'm somewhat apprehensive. I sure would like to ride all the way across Missouri, though.
If you do, PM me. I live within 2 miles of the KATY just a few miles from the St Charles end.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 09:00 PM   #57
just keep riding
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride
When the train pulled out, that mule laid down and died
But I'm crazy about her, that hard headed woman of mine
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 12:22 PM   #58
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!
Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
My traveling days are continuing. Was in Minnesota in September, Seattle/Vancouver/Olympic NP in October, Florida in January and am now finalizing more travel plans:

Chapel Hill, NC in mid-March (may ride with my daughter a bit around Carrboro/CH)
San Francisco from April 20-27 (primarily a business trip, no bike or car)
Lanesboro, MN in early May (cycling-focused trip)
Canton, OH & Morganton WV in mid-June. (hope to ride in both Ohio & WV)

Part of my plan to use more vacation this year.
"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 01:13 PM   #59
Bikes: litespeed, cannondale
I will probably do just the Florida Bicycle Safari in April in Live Oak, FL and Cherry Lake, FL. Riding up there is a whole 'nother world than Central FL. For some reason the motorists tend to be courteous up there.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 04:22 AM   #60
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Tom Bombadil;6131296]I'm planning on several. As I wrote before, I have a lot of vacation to use this year, will be taking about 8 weeks off in total, not all as weeks, some will be split into multiple 4-day weekends.

No organized rides ... there aren't many of those on bike trails. is on bike trails this year.
outashape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 04:51 PM   #61
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I was planning to ride from Chester County, PA, to Los Angeles, CA, this summer, but the money for the trip isn't there. So I'm planning on that for next year. This year I'm riding from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC, via the trail/towpath network, with my buddy Neil Fein, aka "neilfein" here on Bike Forums. This adventure starts June 1, and we should be in the capital by the end of the week.

Since Neil and I call ourselves the Neils on Wheels Bike Touring Team, we have a number of short tours in the works. In April, for instance, we are riding from my home to Green Lane Park, 40 miles away, to camp, and then ride back the next day.
Old 02-22-08, 06:58 PM   #62
Calamari to go
Bikes: Trek 750
No cycling vacation, but a couple of short vacations with a cycling component.
New York in early May for the Bike New York, visit parents and spend a few days in the city and out to Long Island.
Another parent visit in September for the New York Century, followed by a few days up the Hudson and visiting friends in Connecticut.
And in next February, a return to San Francisco. Same as four years ago - while my wife is attending a conference I rent a bike and ride across the GG and up into Marin.
cc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote