Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Size of tube

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Size of tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Size of tube

On my new Specialized Roubaix I just picked up I had them put on 700X28c tires, just wondering what size of tubes do I need?

At Performance they have a 700X19-26 & a 700X28-32. My friend picked up a 700X28-32 for me but I bought a couple more because they were on sale & the kid told me I need the 700X19-26. He said that is the width of the tire not the size of the tire if that makes since.

I really hope it is nice enough tomorrow to ride. I hope to ride from my wife's work to mine (7 miles) at least that will give me some miles on it.
Old 02-21-08, 10:54 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Either will work. I like to go with tubes a little small because it is easier to install the tire without pinching the tube.
Old 02-21-08, 11:28 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I cannot use 28-32 tubes with either my Vittoria 700Cx28 tires or my Continental 700Cx28s, all of which are a tight fit on the rims and about 25mm in true width. They are much narrower than my old Specialized Armadillo 700Cx28s, which were a full 28mm wide, and then some.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-22-08, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
REI's house brand, Novara tubes come in 18/23, 20/25, and one larger size, I believe 23/32. Six bucks.
https://www.rei.com/bike/TOC/Componen...HP_CYCLING_TOC
Old 02-22-08, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by w2brdbkr
On my new Specialized Roubaix I just picked up I had them put on 700X28c tires, just wondering what size of tubes do I need?

At Performance they have a 700X19-26 & a 700X28-32. My friend picked up a 700X28-32 for me but I bought a couple more because they were on sale & the kid told me I need the 700X19-26. He said that is the width of the tire not the size of the tire if that makes since.

I really hope it is nice enough tomorrow to ride. I hope to ride from my wife's work to mine (7 miles) at least that will give me some miles on it.
I wouldn't worry excessively either way.

I have 700 X 28 Gator Skins on my tandem and retro grouch bike. Performance 700X19-26 tubes looked a little wimpy to me so I got a few 700X28-32. They fit fine on both bikes.
Old 02-22-08, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have said both will work. Some time take a tube and just start pumping it full of air outside the tire. You'll quickly see how much the rubber expands. So, the smaller size is more than adequate to meet your needs. I suspect the sizing thing works in reverse. That is, you don't need to think about how big it is, but if its small enough to fit.
Old 02-22-08, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Either will work. I like to go with tubes a little small because it is easier to install the tire without pinching the tube.
...and the narrower ones are lighter too. If that matters to you.

Scott P
Bend, OR
Old 02-22-08, 09:49 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
...and the narrower ones are lighter too. If that matters to you.

Scott P
Bend, OR
. . . and the larger ones won't lose air quite as quickly, if that matters to you .

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-22-08, 12:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I only run 23's so don't have a problem choosing. BUT one thing I will say is get a tube you trust. Over the years I have tried a lot of tubes and they don't vary a great deal on quality but The ones with a name that sounds Chinese- I don't buy. Schwalbe- Michelin- Continental are the ones available at my LBS but I like the Michelins. I buy the lightweight tubes and don't have a problem with them. Only thing I have found though is that the length of stem is important. I have a deepish rim so I buy stems with a length of more than 55 mm. Then I can always get a good grip with the pump head on plenty of stem- even on a flat tube.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-22-08, 02:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stapfam raises a good point. I am prone to spending money on good shoes or a nice dinner or a new accessory for my bike, but then will turn around and buy a cheap tube because I can save $2. Doesn't really make much sense, unless I am very confident in the quality of the cheaper tube.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-22-08, 04:18 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Only thing I have found though is that the length of stem is important. I have a deepish rim so I buy stems with a length of more than 55 mm. Then I can always get a good grip with the pump head on plenty of stem- even on a flat tube.
My problem is the opposite. I just want ordinary tubes with 36mm presta valves. The local bike shops only sell tubes with 48mm valve stems. They look funny, they're heavier, they're less aerodynamic, and they look funny. They also look goofy.
Old 02-22-08, 04:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tom has just reminded me- I buy my MTB wheels from a trusted wheelbuilder- but he does a package deal of wheels- Cassette- tubes- tyres and rim tape at a very special price. I went for it once. The rim tape was the thin rubber type that I will not use- The tyres were a pattern type and not quite what I expected and the tubes-- Put it this way- One heavy landing and a flat tyre- no problem and it was heavy for me. Off with the tyre- and the Tube was shredded. It was a lightweight tube with no name on it. Got home and decided to change the rear tube. Let the air out and Took the tube out and discarded it. Following week wrapped it up and It would do as a spare so into the wedge. Next puncture I had- Out with the spare tube- Few stokes of air and One massive great big Bulge in the tube. Thank goodness I carry a repair kit as I was not going to fit that tube.

I don't buy the package deal from him any longer.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-22-08, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had the narrow tubes in my Armadillo 28's last summer and the tube ripped around the valve stem. Coincidence? Maybe. I had alway used fatter tubes prior to that, and had never had a similar problem. My next tube purchase was the fatter ones. (Fatter is undoubtedly not a proper bike term.)