Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are you planning a cycling vacation?

Are any of you contemplating taking a vacation planned around cycling this year? Based here in New England and mired in deep winter I would have considered a week in Florida like Tom spent an ideal vacation. However it did not come to pass and now I find myself planning a 4 day trip to Cape Cod, possibly on the 4th of July weekend. Naturally the bikes will be loaded onto the rack and will accompany us. We have done trips in the past where the car was parked at the hotel and never moved for the rest of the trip. Riding to dinner on the bike is considered manditory.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of them actually. A week in June with my wife and another week in August with a long time cycling buddy. Both week long trips will be in Wisconsin. Labor Day week end we're planning to go to Springfield, Illinois for the Midwest Tandem Rally.

Now I've got to work on losing some of this winter fat to get ready.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One week in April to follow the Tour de Georgia, a few days on my bike, but a full week of bicycle obsession.
    Another week in June for BRAG. At least a couple of weekend trips involving lots of cycling.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three weeks in May in Eastern Ontario, NY State and La Route Verte in Quebec. Planning has begun.
    Hockey

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three in the works here.

June: Great Finger Lakes Bicycle Tour. Yeah, it's just a weekend, but since I work weekends, I have to burn some vacation days, so I'm counting it.

June or July (dates TBD): My annual Week of Metric Centuries based from my parents' summer place in Westport, Ontario. I shoot for four metrics in the week, with fireroading rides on the off days. Since my Portland is based in part on cyclocross geometry, instead of taking two bikes this year, I'm taking two wheelsets--one with road tires and cassette, the other with CX tires and cassette.

July/August: Eight to ten days in Colorado which will include the BikeJournal Reunion weekend.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Three weeks in May in Eastern Ontario, NY State and La Route Verte in Quebec. Planning has begun.
    If your route takes you through Rahchacha, you're welcome to bunk here.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be riding XOBA (Across Ohio Bike Adventure) again this year. The theme this is "The Underground Railroad Tour".

In the planning stage is a ride around Lake Erie in late August or early September with a group of friends. We're currently gathering maps, camping facilities, etc. We'll have a van, trailer and two non-cycling wives who will provide SAG for the riders.

I also have a few weekend events scheduled:
    TOSRV - 210 miles in 2 days
    Tour de Cure - Indianapolis charity ride on the Indy 500 track and nearby road routes
    FORBT - Frontier Ohio River Boat Tour

I'll be in Florida next week but it's not a biking trip I'm hoping to see my nephew take his high school wrestling team to their 5th state title!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning many, many mini cycling vacations. I'm thinking also of going to Colorado to take a the "learning to tour" class offered by adventure cycles, but I have so much going on already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sad to say, but what's a vacation? Working multiple jobs to get kids through college kind of make vacations something in the realm of fantasy for me. But, who knows, maybe the planets will align themselves in a manner allowing for a miracle. As of right now, a vacation isn't happening anytime soon.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Road bike, road bike, road bike (folder). See a trend here?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arizona week after next, Vermont (probably) in June and Route Verte (possibly) in September, and always looking for more.

So...

If you have any maps or route/contact information on Route Verte, Hockey, I'd love some details. I have not started researching it all yet -- I'm aiming at motels rather than hotels. Is this an option, as far as you know?

TSI, when is the Finger Lakes weekend? (Anything within driving distance of T'r'n'a has to be worth considering.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two biking and one no-so biking. The later is to the Florida Keys next week. We are taking two dogs and our beater bikes. Once my wife's work schedule clears up we plan to schedule a VBT bike/food/wine tour to Prague/Vienna, probably in May. And in late June we are going on the Bike Virginia Tour and hope to meet other 50+ers. It's nice to be retired. Hopefully, my wife will follow next year.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will be flying down to spend at least the three long weekends of the summer on Ocracoke Island, NC, where there are no rental cars. Typically, we rent one bike with a trailer and one with a Trail-A-Bike so that we can transport our daughter, beach umbrella, beach chairs, snacks, cameras, towels, etc. There is a possibility that this is the year that our child will get her own bike to ride for the first time, which is an exciting possibility.

Paul

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its winter......I'm cold.....I'm not getting to ride much.....why do I want to plan a vacation.............here's why.

Not much like the coast in California, but I love the East Coast Shoreline.

In the first picture, just left of center under the blue roof is the motel that I stay at. The storm tide line is somewhere on the wall of the building. I can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

It is windy though all the time. For this I built the TT bike.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:54 AM.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife and I will be doing the Bike Virginia in June. This is our first attempt at a multi day event.
    Jamis Satellite 08.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're toying with the idea of riding from here to the coast and down the coast to Santa Barbara, then taking the train home. The idea's still in its infancy, but it has a lot of appeal.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year's Holland Hundred in western MI made for a nice, long weekend mini-vacation so we might do that again. Plenty there for my non-biking spouse to amuse herself with on ride day.

I've always wanted to visit the Finger Lakes area, so that tour looks intriguing. And the required club membership is cheap! Probably some pretty good hills there so this flatlander will have to train for it.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I will be riding the Lake Pepin 3-Speed tour (my 3rd time, her 2nd) May 17th and 18th,

http://www.3speedtour.com/ in WI and MN.

Plus we're doing a week-long tour in Washington state, end of July - Aug. 1.

http://www.oregonbicycleride.org/

In addition we'll ride several of the CA Triple Crown double centuries (first one, Butterfield, coming up Feb. 16th), probably seven for me and five for her. She doesn't like anything with over 10,000 feet of climbing in one day.

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/schedule.htm

Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not certain whether we will get there as another wedding later in the year. I hope to get back to France for another of those -"You go and sight see- and I'll see you in the town at 4pm in the cafe in the square"- Type holidays. It might have to wait till next year but If I can get back to Ventoux- I'll be climbing it again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to Chesapeake Bay in May with our tandem and also do a lot of three to four day weekenders.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Giant Iguana Mtn.Bike, Cannondale H700 Hybrid, Scott Speedster S10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from Daytona, I road 5 days down there. I spent 1 day with my Mtn. bike riding a bike trail in Ocala National Forest, 4 days riding my new road bike around the Daytona area. I may go to Vermont for my regular vacation this summer and tote a bike or 2, then my freinds and I are talking of doing "The Great River ride in Illinois" or something like that. They did it last year and said it was a great bang for the buck.

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Boudica. My initial plans have been strictly laying out the proposed route. I am using old technology, ie. paper maps, mapquest and google earth. I have the pamphlet for La Route Verte. I am hoping to camp as much as possible. I will pass along my itinery on crazyguyonabike when it is ready.
    Hockey

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Hello Boudica. My initial plans have been strictly laying out the proposed route. I am using old technology, ie. paper maps, mapquest and google earth.
    hockey
    Where are we that Mapquest and Google earth are "old " technology
    Jamis Satellite 08.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on several. As I wrote before, I have a lot of vacation to use this year, will be taking about 8 weeks off in total, not all as weeks, some will be split into multiple 4-day weekends.

No organized rides ... there aren't many of those on bike trails. Plan to ride the Wisconsin 4-trails system again, up through Elroy-Sparta over a long weekend. Also over to Minnesota for the Root River trail. Will be looking round Wisconsin for another long-weekend ride. And am thinking about searching the Illinois trail system for a ride in April.

I could end up doing 6 or so of these. May do multiple in Sept/Oct, as I'm planning to do four 4-day weekends then, every other week over a 7 week period.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Also over to Minnesota for the Root River trail.
    Can I come meet you sometime? I won't be a pest and stay long! Maybe just 5 miles or so to say hi? I know you like to ride alone.

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine from Maryland got me hooked up with a team to do RAGBRAI, in July. It will be my first week long tour ever. WOOHOO!! I'm stoked!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast