Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking advantage of good weather!

We don't get a lot of good riding weather in February and the temperatures are taking another nose dive this weekend. It was hovering around freezing this morning and the winds were in the 10-15MPH range. Wind is a very important consideration for this ride as it's nothing but flat farm land with no trees or buildings for windbreaks. The cornfields provide a little shelter from the wind in the summer but those are gone this time of the year. We had tailwinds on the ride to the restaurant but fought those pesky headwinds on the return trip. Speeds of 15-17MPH turned into 10-12 on the return

Four of us met and rode a total of 30 miles. We had one flat but it wasn't on my bike We even had the luxury of a SAG wagon on the ride. Two friends who were meeting us at the restaurant tagged along in their van. It really helped to have a floor pump available for that flat.

All except the fellow in blue will be riding TOSRV in May and we're trying to get some miles before this event. I just hope we get some warmer and less windy weather for future training rides.

=============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, February in the Heartland generally sucks for riding. I was able to get out for ten mile rides Tuesday (when it was in the upper 50's!!) and again this afternoon (in the 40's). On the first ride, I was chased/bothered midway by 3 dogs - had to walk and sternly and repeatedly say "No!" to get away from them. Have never had dog problems in that area. Today I had my Halt! with me and, of course, no doggies.
    How do folks in Ohio get in shape by May for TOSRV? Takes me all Spring, Summer and part of Fall to get ready for the Hilly Hundred.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brrrrrr! No wonder you're all bundled up!

Nothing like seizing the moment -- glad you got your ride in and that you have no frostbite to report.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, you all look like you could rob a few banks. I'd forgotten how much of one's face the balaclava can cover.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Geez, you all look like you could rob a few banks. I'd forgotten how much of one's face the balaclava can cover.
    Those Ski Masks are perfect for winter riding. Now if I acn get one to cover the nose and still breath into the headwinds- It would be ideal.

Winter and cold weather riding are not a problem. You just have to wrap up and keep pedalling.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. I still haven't braved the weather yet this year, but I've been riding the trainer. Wish I lived down your way, maybe I'd be a little more motivated.

Is that John on the left?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 32 here now, feels warm. Unfortunately we just had a big snowstorm and everything is covered in ice & snow. Hard to walk on the sidewalks.

I've been hoping to get out a bit, but am not about to try it on ice. Cars weren't even making it up the hill in front of my house the past two days.

I do have a question for you, what is that green'ish like substance that is covering the ground behind you? I thought the entire world was covered in white.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I do have a question for you, what is that green'ish like substance that is covering the ground behind you? I thought the entire world was covered in white.
    It's probably some form of Fungus. Comes from having too much damp and not enough sun.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No can do good weather here.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Those Ski Masks are perfect for winter riding. Now if I acn get one to cover the nose and still breath into the headwinds- It would be ideal.

Winter and cold weather riding are not a problem. You just have to wrap up and keep pedalling.
    You can't tell from the picture but my balaclava has the nose piece and mesh in the mouth area for breathing. I didn't pull it up over the nose until after we started the ride. The nose piece is open under the nose making it easy to breath and keeps the glasses from fogging.

Mine is similar to this one. I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods.

http://www.blueiceclothing.com/produ...vawindpro.html
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Excellent. I still haven't braved the weather yet this year, but I've been riding the trainer. Wish I lived down your way, maybe I'd be a little more motivated.

Is that John on the left?
    Left to right - John, Dick, Beverly and Henry. You'll get to meet all of them on XOBA this year.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    It's 32 here now, feels warm. Unfortunately we just had a big snowstorm and everything is covered in ice & snow. Hard to walk on the sidewalks.

I've been hoping to get out a bit, but am not about to try it on ice. Cars weren't even making it up the hill in front of my house the past two days.

It's called grass - do you remember that

Fortunately we don't get too much snow. We've had quite a bit of rain lately and lots of flooding.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BRRRRRR!!! Hope it melts soon and you can get in a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne pattee View Post
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Left to right - John, Dick, Beverly and Henry. You'll get to meet all of them on XOBA this year.
    Can't wait. I was going to ask you if John was coming back this year...glad to hear that he is.

BTW we had about an inch and a half of wet new snow on the ground this morning. I guess my more northern location was the reason.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Yep, February in the Heartland generally sucks for riding. I was able to get out for ten mile rides Tuesday (when it was in the upper 50's!!) and again this afternoon (in the 40's). On the first ride, I was chased/bothered midway by 3 dogs - had to walk and sternly and repeatedly say "No!" to get away from them. Have never had dog problems in that area. Today I had my Halt! with me and, of course, no doggies.
    How do folks in Ohio get in shape by May for TOSRV? Takes me all Spring, Summer and part of Fall to get ready for the Hilly Hundred.
    We try to get into shape with headwinds and hills There are no hills on the route we did today but you can always count on headwinds. We have several dams in the area that were built after the 1913 flood in Dayton. The dams are now part of the Metro Parks and the areas around them are quite hilly. They make great rides for getting in shape.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a comp day from work today, since they were promising good weather - I'm not too far South of you guys. I did a few odd jobs around the house and didn't get on the road until noon, when it was up to about 40 F or so. This was my first chance to ride in over a month. I have been doing 30 miles, but after a month off my butt was kicked after 22.5 miles. At least my Brooks B17 still felt good!

I didn't have to bundle up as much as you guys did. I wore a pair of cycling shorts with a thermal base layer and a pair of wind pants over that, and a long sleeve jersey with a wind/rain jacket over that. I am usually comfortable down to the mid 30's with just a regular helmet with a rain cover to block the vent holes, and a headband to cover the ears.

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi cycling gloves that are pretty useless if it's any colder than it was today, although today it was about right.

As long as I was in sunshine I was OK, but if I was in the shade it got pretty nippy.
    Steel Club = BF-STL-00064

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Wayne, you can't remove snow with that old shovel, the handle's all bent....

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I could sympathize, but we have at least twice that much snow here right now.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bev-I can greatly appreciate the wind issue. I don't mind riding in 30 degree temps but the wind can be a real pill. At least you had 3 nice sized fellows to ride behind-but knowing you, you were probably out front pulling most of the time!! On rides like that you'll find me perched behind the biggest rider I can find!!

My Bikes
    Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Wayne, you can't remove snow with that old shovel, the handle's all bent....
    Thats a 50+ snow shovel.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a 50+ snow shovel.
    Yup, LOTS easier on the back. I moved from Northwest Indiana, at the bottom of the Lake Michigan pipe to St Louis. That first Thanksgiving my next door neighbor marveled at my snow shovel collection. He couldn't understand why anybody would have 8.

I was trying to figure out why he shoveled all of the snow from around the car before he swept the snow off of the top of the car.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have I told you how much I hate the trainer. Well this is why I keep it.............I hate the cold even more. My hat is off to you but I cannot bring myself to ride in this weather.

In return I will not be complaining when it hits 100 this summer!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the LBS this morning- and pm was out in the garden. That green stuff is part of the lawn I cut last week but while there- Took a pic of the hardy cyclamen- Cyclamen Coum that normally bloom in April. And the Iris but I even think they are early aswell.

Trouble is- I have some work to do on the bike for tomorrow and My back aches.

Have heard that spring has arrived early over here. Proof is in the garden but not in the weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post

Thanks, Beverly, I thought you'd be the petite one without the moustache!

Congratulations - I had a one hour upper body workout shifting 60 feet of very wet snow. It's in the 30s here in Ann Arbor, but very sloppy surfaces. grrr

Road Fan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try not to hate me too much. This was the scene this afternoon as I struggled to keep up with my son and his friend riding by the lake.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast