Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sell the whole bike or just the frameset?

    Ah, Friday! Finally enough time to read and write without being rushed!

    Time of the year to clean out the bike stable a bit. Just sold my Jamis carbon fiber frame this week. Bought the frame to build up and got it built up just enough to know that the geometry and fit weren't going to work for me. Bought a Specialized Roubaix frameset and, while that build isn't done yet, seems like it's going to be very nice indeed!

    Now I've realized that after 3+ years and many good miles, it's time to sell my '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, too. The frame's just a bit small, just enough off for me to always be noticing. Question is, do I sell just the frameset or do I sell the whole bike? It's in great condition, and I love the carbon/steel blend, but other LeMonds of the same model & year, also in great condition, are only selling for about $800 on eBay for the complete bike. A frameset for the same model/year goes for about $350.00. And shipping a complete bike via UPS, even when taken apart for shipment, runs about $100.

    I think I'm really answering my own question here, and I'll end up taking the parts off the LeMond, selling the frameset, then putting the parts on something like a Jamis Eclipse frame, if I can find one up for sale (Jamis doesn't make the Eclipse anymore).

    Guess that unless you buy something like a Waterford, the resale value of even really good bikes isn't that great compared to the original price. Steep depreciation. Kind of a shame, but I guess that's just the way things work.

  2. #2
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    5,969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By just selling the frameset it keeps the price lower and brings more buyers into play-as you've figured out. I've found buying just a frameset is an excellent way to economically upgrade rides.......well maybe not economical but less expensive than purchasing the components and the frame......

  3. #3
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    By just selling the frameset it keeps the price lower and brings more buyers into play-as you've figured out. I've found buying just a frameset is an excellent way to economically upgrade rides.......well maybe not economical but less expensive than purchasing the components and the frame......
    Hadn't quite figured that out, more just sort of had an intuition. It's just a lot less hassle to sell a frameset than a whole bike. And for some reason or other I just want to avoid the feeling that someone out there is riding MY bike, even if they've paid me for it. If it were a bike I didn't care much for, it wouldn't matter, but it's my LeMond! Keeping the components will help toward a worthy reincarnation!

  4. #4
    Fred E Fenders fthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    S. California - Again!
    My Bikes
    Randonee
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to ask. What size is it?
    F Thomas

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

  5. #5
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon 3 years and a good few miles and parts will have a good amount of wear in them. I would look at selling the whole bike- along with the worn parts. Start afresh with a brand new complete bike with bright new shiny bits on it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  6. #6
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    I've got to ask. What size is it?
    57 cm

    Bought it in February '04 at an LBS in a smallish town in Oregon when they were having their "tired of winter" sale (think rain, lots of rain). Faces of the guys who worked there lit up when they saw my interest in it, and not having a size 59 in stock to compare it to (and only just getting back into biking, so not having a fit in my head to compare it to), they inferred it was the right size for me. No blame here, but I learned my lesson about trying different sizes within a range before buying.
    Last edited by rideon7; 02-09-08 at 06:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I reckon 3 years and a good few miles and parts will have a good amount of wear in them. I would look at selling the whole bike- along with the worn parts. Start afresh with a brand new complete bike with bright new shiny bits on it.
    This coming from the man who has, what?, eight bikes in his stable, if I counted right when you posted your workshop photo a week or two ago.

    I'm of the mind that today's parts can go longer and farther than others may think. When I took the class at UBI last summer, I checked the chain wear on my LeMond after about 3500 miles*, and the gauge still read 'good.' I tend to stick with Shimano Ultegra parts because of their reputation as workhorse components, rather than go with more finicky, top-of-the-line bits. I give a great deal of care to lubing and maintenance. Maybe I should change my moniker to, what?, BluecollarBiker? That would be okay by me.

    *I have four bikes, so this is not my total yearly mileage!

  8. #8
    Small Member maddmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Posts
    7,071
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Selling the frameset, keeping the parts and getting a new frameset is like getting a new bike. I've been moving some of the "quality" parts around for years and they don't seem to wear out.

  9. #9
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
    This coming from the man who has, what?, eight bikes in his stable, if I counted right when you posted your workshop photo a week or two ago.

    I'm of the mind that today's parts can go longer and farther than others may think. When I took the class at UBI last summer, I checked the chain wear on my LeMond after about 3500 miles*, and the gauge still read 'good.' I tend to stick with Shimano Ultegra parts because of their reputation as workhorse components, rather than go with more finicky, top-of-the-line bits. I give a great deal of care to lubing and maintenance. Maybe I should change my moniker to, what?, BluecollarBiker? That would be okay by me.

    *I have four bikes, so this is not my total yearly mileage!
    Ahhhh--- Tcr And Boreas are the road bikes--Dale Tandem for fun offroad- Bianchi for serious off road and Kona Explosif for rebuild. Then there is the OCR taht will get sold and an Old Raleigh MTB for renovating for my Daughter. Then there is the MIXTE that I was given and looking for a good Home. and then--OK I admit defeat

    Thing is that Like the OCR-- Parts are not bad and the bike is OK- but A complete bike is for sale. None of the parts will be suitable as spares for the good bikes. And to be honest- Who would be interested in a Used OCR frame. Now as a used bike- Plenty of people will be queing up for a good condition bike that is ready to go.

    And you can only ride so many bikes at a time. (And if the OCR goes-Room for another?)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    S.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd base my decision on having a clear plan for the parts. If I didn't have something specific in mind about how the parts were going to be used, I'd sell it as a whole bike. My shed is filled already with way too many parts I'll never use; all of them kept because I thought I'd find a use for them later. As a rough estimate I'd guess that only about 60 to 70% of the parts that I save ever see use again.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Selling the frameset, keeping the parts and getting a new frameset is like getting a new bike. I've been moving some of the "quality" parts around for years and they don't seem to wear out.
    Reusing, recycling, not buying new . . . isn't that kind of unAmerican?

  12. #12
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Ahhhh--- Tcr And Boreas are the road bikes--Dale Tandem for fun offroad- Bianchi for serious off road and Kona Explosif for rebuild. Then there is the OCR taht will get sold and an Old Raleigh MTB for renovating for my Daughter. Then there is the MIXTE that I was given and looking for a good Home. and then--OK I admit defeat

    Thing is that Like the OCR-- Parts are not bad and the bike is OK- but A complete bike is for sale. None of the parts will be suitable as spares for the good bikes. And to be honest- Who would be interested in a Used OCR frame. Now as a used bike- Plenty of people will be queing up for a good condition bike that is ready to go.

    And you can only ride so many bikes at a time. (And if the OCR goes-Room for another?)
    Wow, you go through bikes like some guys go through wives! (Not that I know any. Well, actually I do know one, but that's another story.)

    Yes, I can see how no one would want to buy a vintage frame by itself. I will sell the parts I'm not going to re-use, such as the Ultegra 9-speed 12-21 cassette. The others I'll port to another bike, or something! Thing is, if I don't clear out another bike or two, the wife will be distraught, and I would much rather have her feeling traught than distraught.

  13. #13
    Senior Member rideon7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Washington
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    If it were me, I'd base my decision on having a clear plan for the parts. If I didn't have something specific in mind about how the parts were going to be used, I'd sell it as a whole bike. My shed is filled already with way too many parts I'll never use; all of them kept because I thought I'd find a use for them later. As a rough estimate I'd guess that only about 60 to 70% of the parts that I save ever see use again.
    There's always eBay, Craigslist, that sort of thing for selling things off. I have an early '70s Schwinn Varsity I bought at Goodwill for $3.99 just for the fun of going through it and getting it into riding condition again. Was going to sell it for a few bucks to a guy at the local recycling center (he saw it in the back of my rig one day when I was dropping off some stuff), but went back the other day and he's no longer working there! That's another prime candidate for getting out of the garage.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
    Reusing, recycling, not buying new . . . isn't that kind of unAmerican?
    Yes the Chineese economy will go into recession!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •