The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes on the MRI results.

I just watched the movie "American Flyers" and it dealt with dizzy spells and such.

As Kevin Costner told his mom about his younger brother's dizzy spells, is that it isn't necessarily serious.

Here is hoping your outcome is the best ever.

You mention sleep apnea... do you snore heavily? My youngest son had sleep apnea, and had minor surgery to remove the uvula (is that it?) and part of the loose skin in the back of his mouth. From then on, he slept better and snored less.

Anyway, I am tired, so I am rambling.

Looking forward to riding with you soon.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    Best wishes on the MRI results.

I just watched the movie "American Flyers" and it dealt with dizzy spells and such.

As Kevin Costner told his mom about his younger brother's dizzy spells, is that it isn't necessarily serious.

Here is hoping your outcome is the best ever.

You mention sleep apnea... do you snore heavily? My youngest son had sleep apnea, and had minor surgery to remove the uvula (is that it?) and part of the loose skin in the back of his mouth. From then on, he slept better and snored less.

Anyway, I am tired, so I am rambling.

Looking forward to riding with you soon.
    Do I snore? I'm told it could almost wake the dead.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Please keep us posted when you get the read results. I have an MRI next week for a possible fracture of a spinal fusion. Waiting can really bite.

Bill
    The MRI was inconclusive. There's an abnormality, but no one quite knows what it is. Meanwhile the lightheadedness has abated since I'm getting more sleep, although I'm groggy in the morning from using sleep aids. I have an appointment with a neurologist, but I'm going to ask my doctor to authorize a sleep study. I think it's apnea myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like sometimes these trails to figure out what's going on wander all over the place. Hope you get some definitive answers soon. Not knowing can wear a person out.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    It seems like sometimes these trails to figure out what's going on wander all over the place. Hope you get some definitive answers soon. Not knowing can wear a person out.
    I am very tired today.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    My first appointment with the neurologist was a mixed bag. He thinks it's unlikely I have anything to worry about from the abnormalities on the MRI and CAT scan. But....

He's written a prescription for a sleep study. And I get more blood tests to try to narrow down both my balance issues and my lack of muscle strength. (On one muscle test, I ranked in the bottom ten percent for men my age.)

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds promising from the way he put the read in the CT and MRI scans. Please keep us informed how you are managing.

Bill

My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe MTBLover is onto something. Since you have scoliosis, maybe you are starting to have pressure on a nerve. Many years ago I had some headaches and dizziness that was ended by a trip to a chiropractor who did accupressure and pressed on a vertebra that was slightly out of whack. One trip, no more dizziness. Of course they did massage and relaxation things first before the accupressure. Now I visit a massage therapist who keeps my neck and hip working. Hope you find out it's a simple thing that's easy to fix.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck! I have been through numerous such studies.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Sounds promising from the way he put the read in the CT and MRI scans. Please keep us informed how you are managing.

Bill
    OK. See the attachment. Not a very flattering image. I think it makes me look fat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    OK. See the attachment. Not a very flattering image. I think it makes me look fat.
    It is good to have a sense of humor. Hang in there, Neil.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck, Historian!

My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an awesomely creepy picture. You need to print a bike jersey with that on the back.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Neil- this belongs on a jersey, for sure. One question- what were you looking at?

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    I agree with Neil- this belongs on a jersey, for sure. One question- what were you looking at?
    My eyes were shut. It was a closed MRI. I was trying to distract myself by thinking of white bikes.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has such nice eyes!

Sorry it was so obvious to my warped mind. Stay strong and keep us posted.

Bill

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My eyes were shut. It was a closed MRI. I was trying to distract myself by thinking of white bikes.
    Must have been a beauty over to your right...

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my first doctor's visit and testing regarding my attacks of lightheadedness. My doctor ordered both a CAT scan and blood work done immediately, and in fact his office called Pottstown Memorial Medical Center fifteen minutes after I left to see if I had arrived yet. The CAT scan came back with a possible problem, a small hypodense (non-solid) lesion deep in my left parietal lobe that we need an MRI to see better. Neither the doctor or the radiologists who saw my scans thought there was anything to worry about. Still, it's odd to know I have something abnormal up there.

Also, the blood test wasn't for sugar level, so I have one of those scheduled for Monday. My doctor doesn't think I'm diabetic or pre-diabetic, but just to be sure, I'm getting more blood drawn.

Meanwhile, I've ridden my bike all of three miles the past two weeks. I'm going to attempt my first bike ride in two weeks this afternoon. Wish me luck. As a partial concession to safety, I'm going to restrict myself to a local bike path. My doctor isn't exactly pleased I'm still riding, but since my four or five lightheaded episodes all seemed to occur either first thing in the morning or about an hour or two after eating, I suspect if I haven't shown any problems today, I should be OK to get out.

I suspect the lightheadedness is simply a combination of stress at work, my recent off-season weight gain, and the lack of sleep both have caused.
    I wouldn't presume to think what the cause is, but I know my doctor has asked me about lightheadedness several times, before having a cardiac screening, and after I told her I took a lactate threshold test. I'm glad you're getting it looked at!

Road Fan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12